Best and worst logo in the NHL?

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
This one looks like a blatant attempt to cash in on the success that the Raiders had selling black merchandise. Never cared for it.

I'd love to see them go back to their early 2000s look, tho - both the shield and the crown logos were fantastic.

I would like to see them go back to their original colors as well.

Purple/Gold are colors of royalty. Black/Silver are colors of the Raiders.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I have a few personal philosophies about primary logos. One of these is that a 5 year old should be able to somewhat approximate it with a couple crayons. Too many fine details won't work. We're looking for something iconic that will connect all fans, after all. And what's better than a kid drawing his favorite team's logo?

This little caveat knocks out the following:
Blackhawks
:hawks
Red Wings
:wings
Blue Jackets
:cbj
Senators
:sens
Sabres
:sabres
Panthers
:panthers
Kings
:kings2
Canucks
:nucks

Maybe the Wild :wild and Predators :nashville too.

The logo also needs to be able to be icon. This is subjective, but it basically needs to just hit you head on as that team's representation. There needs to be something of a design there. Nothing boring, essentially.

This (subjectively) eliminates:
Ducks (would work great as a shoulder logo!)
:ducks2
Oilers
:edmonton
Islanders
:isles
Jets
:jets
Lightning
:bolts
Capitals
:caps
Stars
:stars
Coyotes
:coyotes

This leaves as finalists:
Bruins
:bruins

Flames
:flames

Hurricanes
:canes

Avalanche
:avs

Canadiens
:habs

Devils
:devils

Rangers
:rangers

Flyers
:flyers

Penguins
:pens

Sharks
:sharks

Blues
:blues

Maple Leafs
:leafs

From there, it really ends up just being preference. I don't like text in logos, as the image should stand on it's own, so Maple Leafs and Rangers drop. The Penguin is just a bit too cartoony. The Devils, Flames, Bruins and Canadiens just don't do much for me. What's that leave? Blues, Sharks, Avalanche, Flyers?

Follow up post coming because of image limit.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Woo, lots of hate for the Stars logo. I don't get it really, I think it's one of the nicer ones in the league. What do people dislike about it?

lots of dumb opinions in this thread, I wouldnt put too much stock into them
personally I dont care for the Ducks/Habs/Blue Jackets/Canes logos

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I'm going to disqualify the Blues from my opinion, simply because I was born and raised a Blues fan, and so I can't separate my personal fondness there.

So in the end, I'll go with

Best:
the Avalanche. The A, which doubles as a mountain. The Avalanche, which cascades down the the mountain as a C. With the tail end of it being a puck. All of these elements being cerebral, but simple graphically. All while using an uncommon color pallet that works brilliantly.

Honorable Mention:
:wild
Wild
I know I disqualified that one potentially, but the only reason for any complications graphically are to create, again, a cerebral logo experience.

Worst:
Ducks.

There's a double whammy with this that earns it the number one (or number 30 I guess) spot.

Yeah, it's got a slight bit of double meaning. The D is a webbed Duck foot. But unlike where the Avalanche and Wild are also incorporating double meanings... this is done in a color scheme that is both ugly and boring.

And a duck's foot really isn't iconic or intimidating. And Avalanche can kill you. A wild bear thing can kill you, and look majestic doing it. Other logos which aren't deadly still look iconic. The Blues' and Flyers' logos are clean and unmistakable, for instance.

And then the kicker, the final insult... the Ducks had one of the best logos and color pallets in sports history.

ana93.png

This instantly says Ducks, it's unmistakably colored, and it looks tough too. Maybe slightly cartoony, but that works because it's a reference to the team's original owners, Disney. If the team used this logo, with this color scheme... it honestly might have won. But instead, they drop from maybe the best to the absolute, unmistakable worst logo in the league.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I'm going to disqualify the Blues from my opinion, simply because I was born and raised a Blues fan, and so I can't separate my personal fondness there.

Best:
the Avalanche. The A, which doubles as a mountain. The Avalanche, which cascades down the the mountain as a C. With the tail end of it being a puck. All of these elements being cerebral, but simple graphically. All while using an uncommon color pallet that works brilliantly.

Honorable Mention:
Wild
I know I disqualified that one potentially, but the only reason for any complications graphically are to create, again, a cerebral logo experience.

Worst:
Ducks.

There's a double whammy with this that earns it the number one (or number 30 I guess) spot.

Yeah, it's got a slight bit of double meaning. The D is a webbed Duck foot. But unlike where the Avalanche and Wild are also incorporating double meanings... this is done in a color scheme that is both ugly and boring.

And a duck's foot really isn't iconic or intimidating. And Avalanche can kill you. A wild bear thing can kill you, and look majestic doing it. Other logos which aren't deadly still look iconic. The Blues' and Flyers' logos are clean and unmistakable, for instance.

And then the kicker, the final insult... the Ducks had one of the best logos and color pallets in sports history.

ana93.png

This instantly says Ducks, it's unmistakably colored, and it looks tough too. Maybe slightly cartoony, but that works because it's a reference to the team's original owners, Disney. If the team used this logo, with this color scheme... it honestly might have won. But instead, they drop from maybe the best to the absolute, unmistakable worst logo in the league.

I don't mind the colors of the Ducks. But that logo should have never been messed with.

Some will say its cartoony like the Penguins but just like the Penguins it works. I think their jerseys nowadays would look great with the old logo incorporated.

I get the whole webbed duck foot D thing but they screwed this one up IMO.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
CHI's is ugly as hell. I think people just vote it because of their recent winnings and they are an O6 team.

You ask this question before 2010 and nobody would say its the best.

I think when people vote CHI they are actually considering the jersey as a whole and not the logo itself.

It's just another ugly cartoon face. Albeit one with very colorful stitch work.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Stars, Kings, Jets, Lightning, Ducks, and Senators are not good. Everything else is decent or good. The Jets and Stars have it watered down with grey shading which is very modern and bland. The Lightning has too much negative space for a one-color logo. The Sens looks like a stylized Mark Messier. Ducks logo is actually probably the best looking out of these but is just kind of silly because it's a duck's foot.

I can't stand the whole beveling effect and inconsistent shadow that the logo uses. Throws it off, in my opinion.
This.

Last edited:

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
I have a few personal philosophies about primary logos. One of these is that a 5 year old should be able to somewhat approximate it with a couple crayons. Too many fine details won't work. We're looking for something iconic that will connect all fans, after all. And what's better than a kid drawing his favorite team's logo?

This little caveat knocks out the following:
Blackhawks
:hawks
Red Wings
:wings
Blue Jackets
:cbj
Senators
:sens
Sabres
:sabres
Panthers
:panthers
Kings
:kings2
Canucks
:nucks

Maybe the Wild :wild and Predators :nashville too.

The logo also needs to be able to be icon. This is subjective, but it basically needs to just hit you head on as that team's representation. There needs to be something of a design there. Nothing boring, essentially.

This (subjectively) eliminates:
Ducks (would work great as a shoulder logo!)
Oilers
:edmonton
Islanders
:isles
Jets
:jets
Lightning
:bolts
Capitals
:caps
Stars
:stars
Coyotes
:coyotes

This leaves as finalists:
Bruins
:bruins

Flames
:flames

Hurricanes
:canes

Avalanche

Canadiens
:habs

Devils
:devils

Rangers
:rangers

Flyers
:flyers

Penguins
:pens

Sharks
:sharks

Blues
:blues

Maple Leafs
:leafs

From there, it really ends up just being preference. I don't like text in logos, as the image should stand on it's own, so Maple Leafs and Rangers drop. The Penguin is just a bit too cartoony. The Devils, Flames, Bruins and Canadiens just don't do much for me. What's that leave? Blues, Sharks, Avalanche, Flyers?

Follow up post coming because of image limit.

Most 25yr olds couldn't make a decent reproduction of their favorite team's logo. What a silly premise.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Native American heads are just a bad idea stylistically and culturally.

Imo only one team ever got it close to right.

No-name-North-Dakota-enters-NCAA-tourney-JL16I4RV-x-large.jpg

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia

Best:

Honorable Mention:
Wild

Worst:
Ducks.

ana93.png

As Avs fan i obviously fully agree about Avs logo and totally agree with the Ducks sentiment too. Never ever should have changed their logo to the webbed foot, the old one was iconic and had unique colors. So what it was cartooney. As if Penguins logo wasnt.

Other than that, i suppose Flyers logo is objectively best one in the league. If you even can be objective in something like this. But i think its iconic, simple, clean and good looking, i really dont see anything wrong with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad