Confirmed with Link: Berube out, Bannister in

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
All this talk about Kyrou and how soon we forget how Berube took a last place team to the Stanley Cup with the most incredible run of Blues hockey ever. We need a Berube appreciation thread.

Remember the Blues of 2019,
their toughness...
...ability to win from behind by dominating 3rd periods,
...ability to come back when down in a playoff series,
...and ability to wear down teams with relentless checking.

Remember how much fun we had that year folks!

Thank you Chief and best wishes as you move on to win the Cup with another team. That is more likely to happen than the next Blues cup win with this group of misfit toys.
It's because so many seem to think that Army had strategically planned that Cup win and it's all bull. Berube helmed that team to the promise land. Army had conceded that 2019 was a lost year and stepped back.

Chief let those players play their game and helped foster a lot of goodwill and that's all a big part of what brought the Cup to the STL.

Army has no idea how it happened, but he seems to have no problem taking the credit.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
It's because so many seem to think that Army had strategically planned that Cup win and it's all bull. Berube helmed that team to the promise land. Army had conceded that 2019 was a lost year and stepped back.

Chief let those players play their game and helped foster a lot of goodwill and that's all a big part of what brought the Cup to the STL.

Army has no idea how it happened, but he seems to have no problem taking the credit.

Well considering Army build the team and the coach we needed was already in the organization along with the goalie we needed. It's almost like Army put all the pieces together and maybe got a bit of luck with them falling into place at the right time but people want to act like he had nothing to do with it.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Well considering Army build the team and the coach we needed was already in the organization along with the goalie we needed. It's almost like Army put all the pieces together and maybe got a bit of luck with them falling into place at the right time but people want to act like he had nothing to do with it.
It’s good that he hired Berube to coach in the AHL. But it certainly didn’t seem the vision was for him to be the head coach in 2019. Binnington seemed even less like part of the plan.

Yeah it was good they they were in the organization. And for that he should absolutely get credit.

But we should also take note that neither seemed to be part of his vision for the 2019 NHL team. What both people did for our Cup win was a huge dose of luck for Army.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
All this talk about Kyrou and how soon we forget how Berube took a last place team to the Stanley Cup with the most incredible run of Blues hockey ever. We need a Berube appreciation thread.

Remember the Blues of 2019,
their toughness...
...ability to win from behind by dominating 3rd periods,
...ability to come back when down in a playoff series,
...and ability to wear down teams with relentless checking.

Remember how much fun we had that year folks!

Thank you Chief and best wishes as you move on to win the Cup with another team. That is more likely to happen than the next Blues cup win with this group of misfit toys.
The JR generated Kyrou thing really did distract from celebrating Berube’s time with us…at least it did for me.

Berube didn’t have the greatest last two years, but before then he did a really nice job both in the NHL and the AHL. There are quite a few players coming up through the AHL that experienced improvements under his watch.
So while many will think about the Cup run year (and rightly so), but his time as our AHL coach was incredibly valuable.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It’s good that he hired Berube to coach in the AHL. But it certainly didn’t seem the vision was for him to be the head coach in 2019. Binnington seemed even less like part of the plan.

Yeah it was good they they were in the organization. And for that he should absolutely get credit.

But we should also take note that neither seemed to be part of his vision for the 2019 NHL team. What both people did for our Cup win was a huge dose of luck for Army.
I must have imagined that army acquired nearly every member of Cup team, that he saw we were weak down middle so he drafted Thomas and dealt for Schenn and signed bozo and dealt for ROR. He built championship roster and team still struggled. He believed in players and didn’t tear it down when many wanted him to. He brought in Berube to replace coach who wasn’t up to it. Yes, Yeo was a mistake. Army’s mistake. Which every GM makes. Except army is able to move on from his mistakes and adjust while fans get caught up in every thing he did wrong years ago. But army saw that Yeo couldn’t hack it and moved on. Put in Berube. Gave him Larry Robinson as resource. And when Binny caught fire we had team in place to win Cup.so like any Cup winner, we had luck. But that luck fit around great bit of effective work by GM building roster. So yeah, I guess I imagined army’s role in building Cup team.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I must have imagined that army acquired nearly every member of Cup team, that he saw we were weak down middle so he drafted Thomas and dealt for Schenn and signed bozo and dealt for ROR. He built championship roster and team still struggled. He believed in players and didn’t tear it down when many wanted him to. He brought in Berube to replace coach who wasn’t up to it. Yes, Yeo was a mistake. Army’s mistake. Which every GM makes. Except army is able to move on from his mistakes and adjust while fans get caught up in every thing he did wrong years ago. But army saw that Yeo couldn’t hack it and moved on. Put in Berube. Gave him Larry Robinson as resource. And when Binny caught fire we had team in place to win Cup.so like any Cup winner, we had luck. But that luck fit around great bit of effective work by GM building roster. So yeah, I guess I imagined army’s role in building Cup team.
I didn’t say he didn’t do any of those things. Though I am not sure he drafted Thomas because we were weak down the middle. He deserves credit for the roster construction. But he also had a pretty significant amount of luck. Not sure why we cannot admit both without the passive aggressive jabs.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I didn’t say he didn’t do any of those things. Though I am not sure he drafted Thomas because we were weak down the middle. He deserves credit for the roster construction. But he also had a pretty significant amount of luck. Not sure why we cannot admit both without the passive aggressive jabs.
I admitted luck. But you need to be good enough to take advantage of that luck. We were. We have had bad luck since- JayBo and Covid and whatnot, and team has gotten bad. But he didn’t forget how to GM. He isn’t all of a sudden Mike Milbury. He let your favorites walk because it was flat cap and they were aging and he thought there was better way. So maybe he was wrong. It’s insane to expect GM to never be wrong. Everyone is wrong. If you look at total picture, it’s not reasonable to conclude he has been anything other than far better than average overall. In fact, one of the best in league. And his recent moves show he still has It. So it’s easy for the peanut gallery to complain, but this incessant whining is getting old. Petro ain’t coming back. Y’all need to get over it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol that’s not even true. Armstrong was probably days away from blowing up the team before Binnington, who he had in the AHL, came in and saved the season. Remember the Schenn deal to Boston that was apparently really close? Pietrangelo and Tarasenko were both in trade rumors too. By all reports, Armstrong was upset and was going to make moves. He did not believe in the team at all.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Lol that’s not even true. Armstrong was probably days away from blowing up the team before Binnington, who he had in the AHL, came in and saved the season. Remember the Schenn deal to Boston that was apparently really close? Pietrangelo and Tarasenko were both in trade rumors too. By all reports, Armstrong was upset and was going to make moves. He did not believe in the team at all.
Folks think it’s magic when a GM is actually doing their job. Army gets the credit of so many others below him and yet HE is the most valuable person in the equation?

If he was as great as folks are trying to throw out there, he would have never left Dallas.

Reactions: LogosBlue

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Oh ya, the epic trade rumors that always come from random ass people and not anyone from inside our organization.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I admitted luck. But you need to be good enough to take advantage of that luck. We were. We have had bad luck since- JayBo and Covid and whatnot, and team has gotten bad. But he didn’t forget how to GM. He isn’t all of a sudden Mike Milbury. He let your favorites walk because it was flat cap and they were aging and he thought there was better way. So maybe he was wrong. It’s insane to expect GM to never be wrong. Everyone is wrong. If you look at total picture, it’s not reasonable to conclude he has been anything other than far better than average overall. In fact, one of the best in league. And his recent moves show he still has It. So it’s easy for the peanut gallery to complain, but this incessant whining is getting old. Petro ain’t coming back. Y’all need to get over it.

Is anyone really as bad as Mike Milbury? That guy was one of the worst GMs I have ever seen.

I am not sure why you keep putting words in my mouth (or emotions in my head for that matter). He let my favorite players walk? I have no devotion to anyone. Not player. Not coaches. Not GMs. I don't even have a Blue jersey with a player name for the vary reason that my fandom isn't tied to individuals. All I want is what is best for the Blues. I don't form the emotional attachements that some do to others. My attachment is to the team. I of course, like all people, have those I like and dislike more that others. But, I am not beholden to them. It would be great to not hear false accusations here and just discuss the topics at hand.

Army has been better than average. I have said this before. But we have a thread that asks if he should still be the GM. I have outlined a number of reasons why I believe it's fair to ask the question. He has plenty of things he has done that are easy to question. I really don't know if he should or shouldn't continue with us though because he has done some good too. I haven't made up my mind yet. But I know this season and this offseason are very much going to be determining factors for me. Every GM, just like every player and every coach has a self life. Has Army reached his here. It's a very fair question. Given this is a forum for discussing hockey, it seems prefectoly rational to explore that from all angles.

Is there really a reason to continue to be disrespectful towards others opinions? Can't we just have discussions without attacks?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Is anyone really as bad as Mike Milbury? That guy was one of the worst GMs I have ever seen.

I am not sure why you keep putting words in my mouth (or emotions in my head for that matter). He let my favorite players walk? I have no devotion to anyone. Not player. Not coaches. Not GMs. I don't even have a Blue jersey with a player name for the vary reason that my fandom isn't tied to individuals. All I want is what is best for the Blues. I don't form the emotional attachements that some do to others. My attachment is to the team. I of course, like all people, have those I like and dislike more that others. But, I am not beholden to them. It would be great to not hear false accusations here and just discuss the topics at hand.

Army has been better than average. I have said this before. But we have a thread that asks if he should still be the GM. I have outlined a number of reasons why I believe it's fair to ask the question. He has plenty of things he has done that are easy to question. I really don't know if he should or shouldn't continue with us though because he has done some good too. I haven't made up my mind yet. But I know this season and this offseason are very much going to be determining factors for me. Every GM, just like every player and every coach has a self life. Has Army reached his here. It's a very fair question. Given this is a forum for discussing hockey, it seems prefectoly rational to explore that from all angles.

Is there really a reason to continue to be disrespectful towards others opinions? Can't we just have discussions without attacks?
That was actually a wonderful response. Calm, well thought out and presented. Thank you.

And I do think I owe you an apology. There are a handful of folks here who are so reflexively anti-Army that every time I get in an Army discussion I need to proactively address them too. But you aren't one of them. And you didn't deserve to be treated as if you were. So I am sorry.

I do hope we can have friendly and lively debate going forward.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Oh ya, the epic trade rumors that always come from random ass people and not anyone from inside our organization.
Hm it’s almost like Darren Dreger literally called the Berube firing a few days before it happened.

But people will always scream that “no rumors around the Blues are true!!!” because they think it fits whatever narrative they want to believe.

The Blues may not allow as many leaks as other teams but they aren’t bulletproof.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Hm it’s almost like Darren Dreger literally called the Berube firing a few days before it happened.

But people will always scream that “no rumors around the Blues are true!!!” because they think it fits whatever narrative they want to believe.

The Blues may not allow as many leaks as other teams but they aren’t bulletproof.

and several of us called that last game as the game that will get him fired. ZOMG WE MUST BE INSIDERS!@!!!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
and several of us called that last game as the game that will get him fired. ZOMG WE MUST BE INSIDERS!@!!!
Not the same thing but good try. And if you’re going to sit here and argue that Blues players weren’t on the block in 2019, I don’t know what to tell you. You clearly weren’t paying attention and aren’t very knowledgeable because it was widely reported, by local guys too.

But it hurts your narrative that your best buddy Doug isn’t a certified genius so you just block it out. “Fake news!!!” Keep trying little guy.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Not the same thing but good try. And if you’re going to sit here and argue that Blues players weren’t on the block in 2019, I don’t know what to tell you. You clearly weren’t paying attention and aren’t very knowledgeable because it was widely reported, by local guys too.

But it hurts your narrative that your best buddy Doug isn’t a certified genius so you just block it out. “Fake news!!!” Keep trying little guy.

Yes, reported by the same guys that claim there are locker room issues every year. There's also a difference between them being on the block and Armstrong considering moves.

Reactions: Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
My guess: if this team has a 2019-like turnaround, Bannister gets the interim tag off. Maybe not during the season, but it delays putting in someone else. If this team drifts after the usual short-term bump, then I think it depends on when Armstrong finds someone and when ownership green lights that contract coming on the books. Something in between, they get to the end of the season and Armstrong makes moves and finds the new head coach - not necessarily in that order.

My question still remains: for all the glowing things Armstrong has said about Steve Ott, and all the ways he seemingly bent over to provide for Ott since he came over from Buffalo, why Bannister as the interim HC and not Ott?

Just my own speculation but I can think of two reasons. First of all, if Ott really is a protoge of Berube, then maybe naming him HC wouldn't be as big of a change in voice that this team needs right now. Secondly, it's the role of the assistant coach to be buddy buddy with the players, and it would certainly seem like that is Ott's role with this team. It's probably difficult to be that friendly with the players one day and then be the hard-ass boss the next.

For those reasons, I wouldn't be surprised that if (or when?) Ott gets a head coaching gig that it's with a different team than the Blues. I don't know if he's ready to be a full-time head coach right now or if he needs more experience, but Bannister has been a head coach since 2015-16 at some level so I think it's fair to say he's got the experience needed. Plus, he should already have a good relationship (hopefully) with many of our young players that he coached in Springfield.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

He would be negligent as GM not to assess value of players, especially when team is struggling. That he was patient and didn’t make panic move is why he is GM and not fanboy on messenger board always criticizing GM.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He would be negligent as GM not to assess value of players, especially when team is struggling. That he was patient and didn’t make panic move is why he is GM and not fanboy on messenger board always criticizing GM.

I guess now we're not only criticizing Army for things he did but also things he almost did or considered doing.

I mean why is this buffoon one of the most successful GMs in history, regularly chosen to lead Team Canada and universally respected by his peers? Don't these people read this forum?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Folks think it’s magic when a GM is actually doing their job. Army gets the credit of so many others below him and yet HE is the most valuable person in the equation?

If he was as great as folks are trying to throw out there, he would have never left Dallas.
By this metric, are there any great GMs?

Army has 30+ years of front office experience and over 20 of those are as a GM. I can't think of anyone with that amount of experience who has done it with one organization. Like coaches, the vast majority of GMs have a shelf life no matter how good they are. David Pollie is constantly held up as the example of the guy who stuck around with one team for an exceptional amount of time. Washington let him go before that run in Nashville though.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Upon further review ...

It was the right move. Chief gets a two-year, fully-paid vacation and can decide what to do next.

This team needed a new voice. Despite the glaring holes on defense, there is some talent.

Bannister can work with the kids and coax them along, something Chief never would do.

Unfortunately, might be just good enough to sneak into the playoffs, exit early, and hurt draft position.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Upon further review ...

It was the right move. Chief gets a two-year, fully-paid vacation and can decide what to do next.

This team needed a new voice. Despite the glaring holes on defense, there is some talent.

Bannister can work with the kids and coax them along, something Chief never would do.

Unfortunately, might be just good enough to sneak into the playoffs, exit early, and hurt draft position.

Berube was an AHL coach too. He did a lot of great work with prospects then. Barbashev blossomed under him. So I don't think it's fair to say Chief would never work with the kids.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Berube was an AHL coach too. He did a lot of great work with prospects then. Barbashev blossomed under him. So I don't think it's fair to say Chief would never work with the kids.
Agreed, but (to play devils advocate) when you move to the NHL winning is usually more important than development, especially for a team expecting to compete. So the requirements of his job changed and I believe so did his approach to development.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Agreed, but (to play devils advocate) when you move to the NHL winning is usually more important than development, especially for a team expecting to compete. So the requirements of his job changed and I believe so did his approach to development.
I also wonder how much of his approach changed from his time in Philly.

Like, I don't think he made the same mistakes he made in St. Louis as he did in Philly vs Yeo did the same shit he did in Minnesota.

I think Berube is a good coach who paid the price for his boss' mistakes at constructing a roster.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
I also wonder how much of his approach changed from his time in Philly.

Like, I don't think he made the same mistakes he made in St. Louis as he did in Philly vs Yeo did the same shit he did in Minnesota.

I think Berube is a good coach who paid the price for his boss' mistakes at constructing a roster.

Agree with that. Armstrong built a Cup team and then dismantled it.

Berube could only work with the players he was given.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad