Confirmed with Link: Berube out, Bannister in

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Didn’t Army say at the start of the year the coach wasn’t gonna take the fall this year.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I think this could be a good thing. Berube will always be a legend for winning the cup, but the results since then have been less than stellar. The team is going in a different direction and it makes sense to me that he might not be the best voice for a rebuilding team. Also, I'm not tactics expert but I know others have questioned systems we use and Berube doesn't come off as an X's and O's guy.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'm surprised it happened this quickly, but like I said earlier: this loss had that feel of how you know when the head coach is getting fired.

Reactions: BlueOil and eibyyz

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I expected it after the season, but we’ll see how the team responds to this move.

Berube will always be a legend here for being the first coach to win a Cup, but everyone has an expiration date.

Good luck to Drew. This could be fun.

Reactions: eibyyz and 542365

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
My feeling is Berube was good at getting a team who already knew how to play and what style they were playing to perform at a peak level, but for a team that needs to figure out what that style is he's not adept at creating a system to get the best from those players.

It sucks that this is where we're at, and who know how Bannister or any future coach will do, but I think it was time to make a change. This team has long since moved into a new era since the Cup winning squad.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Mistake, but something had to happen. Army created this mess and it looks like ownership is going to give him a chance to fix it. No coach, not Chief, not Stan Bowman, hell not even Herb Brooks could squeeze a winning team out of this roster. We are spiraling towards a bottom 5 finish and Army needs to admit his mistake in roster construction and move us towards a rebuild.

If I was in charge I would aim to keep quality players 25 and under, Kyrou, Thomas, Toropchenko and Hofer. Everyone else can be had. We already have a real solid core of young offensive prospects, just need to build on the defense.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Doug Armstrong should’ve been out the door before Berube.

someone still big mad?

Mistake, but something had to happen. Army created this mess and it looks like ownership is going to give him a chance to fix it. No coach, not Chief, not Stan Bowman, hell not even Herb Brooks could squeeze a winning team out of this roster. We are spiraling towards a bottom 5 finish and Army needs to admit his mistake in roster construction and move us towards a rebuild.

If I was in charge I would aim to keep quality players 25 and under, Kyrou, Thomas, Toropchenko and Hofer. Everyone else can be had. We already have a real solid core of young offensive prospects, just need to build on the defense.

I think we will see a lot more movement once the salary cap rises by more than like 500k this summer.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Mixed feelings about this. Obviously the current team has tons of problems and the head coach will always bear responsibility for those. It’s clear things have gotten stale so I don’t hate trying a new voice.

But if anything, this firing might bring up more questions than it answers. If you trade Perron, ROR, Barbashev and Tarasenko last year and replace them with Blais, Kapanen, Hayes and Vrana and then call it an offseason… well if I’m Berube, I would be pissed that I was expected to win with that. There needs to be serious concern about whether we are putting both players and coaches into positions to succeed here.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Mixed feelings about this. Obviously the current team has tons of problems and the head coach will always bear responsibility for those. It’s clear things have gotten stale so I don’t hate trying a new voice.

But if anything, this firing might bring up more questions than it answers. If you trade Perron, ROR, Barbashev and Tarasenko last year and replace them with Blais, Kapanen, Hayes and Vrana and then call it an offseason… well if I’m Berube, I would be pissed that I was expected to win with that. There needs to be serious concern about whether we are putting both players and coaches into positions to succeed here.
I feel like the criticism with Berube's firing is that both the compete from the players was lost and the system Berube put in place just doesn't work. Aside from their 0-10-1 start to the season, the Sharks have gone 8-7-2 with a hilariously mediocre team when compared to the Blues. I don't think the Blues should be a playoff team, but I expect better compete out of these guys and if Armstrong thinks the message has gotten stale/the system has shown not to work, then you fire him

Reactions: STLegend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad