Rumor: Berggren recently rejected Red Wings offer, Calgary and Montreal expressing interest - David Pagnotta

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He had a similar season stats wise with Seattle so why didnt he stick? It just so happened he figured it out now?? With us ? Hes been good no doubt but I wouldn't be shocked if hes destined to be another sillinger and tossed around most of his career

berggren has been gone most of the season and when he was in he was productive, in the 4th line. Hes been productive everywhere hes been and never got a legitimate shot here .

Trading him especially now with his value being non existent is something that can come back to bite us . You dont agree, that's fine . Time will tell... you can bring up AA and other past players all you want but if we dealt him for a 3rd or mediocre player and he becomes a consistent 50-60 pt guy you know some ppl who are alm for dealing him will be back here to complain

Still think the play is to move fabbri . We'll see how berggren's nhl career turns out in a few years

Sprong got healthy scratched in Seattle for lack of defense and inconsistent effort. (Sound familiar?) If you look at his career stats, he's been healthy scratched 7 seasons in a row. Fester hasn't healthy scratched him, so yeah, he finally figured it out THIS season. And he looks better by the eye tests as well, but I've caught him slacking and cherry picking a few times.

I mean, watch this goal. Tell me why there's only 4 guys in the defensive zone? Fortunately for Sprong, the errant pass hit Compher's skate.

No defense, cherry picking goal. Fans love it, coaches hate it. Burger is the same way, except he's softer than Sprong, doesn't shoot as well, and he's more of a perimeter player whereas Sprong will drive towards the net. So Burger is basically a poor man's Sprong. NOBODY is crying about Sprong, if anything they're pissed it took him so long to figure out how to play some defense. It'll be the same with Burger.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Yeah I don’t think this automatically means he’s getting dealt. If I’m JB’s agent I’m probably telling him to do the same. Keep him in the A all year, then try to secure an extension on the low. While it seems like a financially smart tactic by SY, it’s also glaringly obvious what he’s doing. Undoubtedly Bergie in the NHL would produce at a rate similar or greater than a Ras, while I’m sure SY is trying to pay him much less than what Ras just inked.
This is silly. Contracts aren’t solely about points. If NHL points were equal, there’s no way Ras and Berggren would make the same amount.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He won’t.

He won’t.

People are thinking like this is the Wings keeping kids in the overripe pile while a player literally 2 years younger than Johnny Burgers has been stapled to the top lines every night for years.

It's a skill diff.

He's just not good enough, yet. Maybe he gets there, I never want to count someone out, but he's not swiftly going to emerge as a "50-60 point guy" when that's something a far more complete Raymond is playing his ass off to achieve.

Best case scenario right now looks like Burgers becoming Tatar 2.0. But I'll be rooting for him, regardless.

Reactions: jaster

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Difference is Edvinsson can be up as soon as next year.

Edvinsson is a big boy and not small and fragile like Bergy is.

Bergy is a top 6 or bust player. Offensively talented, no doubt in his offensive capabilities… but not defensively sound at all. Can’t be deployed in a checking role either.

Had the team not acquired the likes of Kane this year, maybe we would be seeing more of Bergy with the wings.

Do I blame him for wanting out? No not at all. Do I think if he’s moved he will take the world by the horns and be a star, no not at all. He will have an average NHL career.

Would love to be proved wrong, but I think as a fan base, we hyped up this kid way too much and now reality is finally setting in.
This ain’t the 1980s, winning teams have 3 scoring lines. Berggren doesn’t need to be top 6, he can be middle six and have a successful NHL career. Just look at Nyquist and Tatar.

Reactions: wings95

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
A lot of you guys are really over valuing Berggren.

It’s baffling. Also aside from Larkin, it seems like Yzerman wants nothing to do with anything Holland.

Reactions: jaster

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Maata/Berggren/1st/Tuomisto for Hanifin.

Larkin will be too old when the 1st rounder we draft this year will be impactful. Let's make something out of this 5 year window.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I love the fact that the Red Wings are in a playoff spot with decent prospects hungry for a spot on the team. It reminds me of the glory days.
And I love that one of Stevie's problems to solve is "hmmmm, how do I handle all these forwards who can score?"

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
SY likes players with a Lidstrom like life style. I don't say that Berggren is a Petr Klima kind of guy, but I guess his life style isn't Lidstrom enough for SY. Berggren was invisible at camp, acting like he was already handed a spot on the team. He could have worked harder last summer and forced the team to play him.

Perfect piece in a Hanifin trade.

• Wow
Reactions: Sentinel

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I hope he lights up the wings for his career. Horrific mismanagement of this asset.
What exactly does Berggren provide that the following players did not?

AA
Mantha
Vrana
Zadina

Because at the moment it appears that he's right in line with that list, being a scorer with inconsistent effort and lack of a two-way game. And I don't see any names listed that Detroit should regret losing.

Now would it be a better outcome if Berggren continues to develop into a player that can stay with the Wings and thrive? Of course. But much of that responsibility is on the player, instead of your characterization that the organization has bungled things.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
How many 19 and 20 year olds break into the league successfully? It's not exactly a common thing. And we've had 2 recent ones do that in Seider and Raymond. The first round picks aren't all going to just jump into the NHL within a couple seasons of being drafted. I wouldn't say any of our prospects have been rushed, or held back. Nothing wrong with the tried and true method of mastering their current level before jumping up a league. Edvinsson will be on the Wings opening night next season, book it. Assuming he's not a regular to close out this season depending on what happens in the next couple weeks. Kasper, Danielson, and Mazur can work their way up, they still need to work on parts of their game.
You are preaching to the choir.

I was making a point for those think that Kasper and Danielson will start the next season in Detroit and Wings have to unload players to make room for Kasper and Danielson. "Wings need to insert them in the lineup" is a phrase i've heard often. I've been saying since summer that Kasper and Danielson(and Mazur) will start in GR. I have often mentioned that the brass wants them to play meaningful minutes in NHL, not just play and that's a direct quote from Yzerman and almost often i've been said "that just talk, Yzerman's BS"

Raymond got the spot because Vrana got injured, otherwise he would have started in GR. We saw Berggren last season first 15-20 games he was good and then he got gassed out, and was basically was a no-show for the rest of the season. NHL is a marathon, not a sprint.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He has plenty of leverage. He can just not sign. If the Wings want to force him to ride buses, they'll have to make it worth his while. Or he'll sign with someone else. The FA in RFA means he can sign with whoever. Sign at a level that he'll be willing to ride buses for with someone else and if the Wings match, they match, but at least he gets the salary level he wants. And odds are it'll below any significant compensation levels for the team he signs with originally. There is no compensation below $1.4M. Just a 3rd rounder up to $2.1M.

How many RFAs have been signed away in the past twenty years? 2? 3? If this is Berggren's plan it's like me planning out how I am going to put my lotto winnings to use. GMs have repeatedly shown that it's not worth the hassle to go after RFAs.

I think the whole report is just blown up crap from a normal contract negotiation. Wings offered the bare minimum, he prolly wants $200k more, probably agreed to talk after the season . And I don't think buses are going to be an issue next year since he has to clear waivers.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Sprong got healthy scratched in Seattle for lack of defense and inconsistent effort. (Sound familiar?) If you look at his career stats, he's been healthy scratched 7 seasons in a row. Fester hasn't healthy scratched him, so yeah, he finally figured it out THIS season. And he looks better by the eye tests as well, but I've caught him slacking and cherry picking a few times.

I mean, watch this goal. Tell me why there's only 4 guys in the defensive zone? Fortunately for Sprong, the errant pass hit Compher's skate.

No defense, cherry picking goal. Fans love it, coaches hate it. Burger is the same way, except he's softer than Sprong, doesn't shoot as well, and he's more of a perimeter player whereas Sprong will drive towards the net. So Burger is basically a poor man's Sprong. NOBODY is crying about Sprong, if anything they're pissed it took him so long to figure out how to play some defense. It'll be the same with Burger.
Well he was +13 in seattle so sounds like he did something right and they still let him go. As great as hes been for the wings hes mostly been on the 4th line with some ppl time so I'm not expecting this to be the norm and I'd be reluctant with the contract we'd be offering

Berggren has way more talent than sprong. Hes performed in every league hes been since the shl. The year he got 15 goals as a rookie and was -14, raymond was -17 , bertuzzi and veleno were-12 . Basically the team was horseshit

Hes in the + in the nhl and ahl this season ... yes I know it doesn't show effort every shift but I think it's clear from the few games I seen hes improved.

I suspect the wings thought they could keep him in the ahl till hes 24 and hed be cool with it and hed be ready to be in next season and hes the one who said get me out of here which I dont blam him

All I'm saying is this has the potential to be a trade we look back at with regret and I'd be looking to move someone like a fabbri who's likely to get injured after the trade deadline after we dealt berggren for another failed perlini project just to piss me off . Anyways we'll see in a few years

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fabbri has stayed quite healthy at this season. Funny how people still think he is gonna get injured on the next game and this is repeated every week.

Has missed 8 games, and multiple of them were for personal reasons.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Berggren should be a top 6 NHLer. He has the skills, but I think he might be a Tatar 2.0 (Post Wings days) where he is largely a perimeter player. The Wings top 6 is already relatively small, and I could see that being the thing that sees Berggren dealt off. especially if they intend to resign Kane. The biggest routine top 6 guy we have is Larks at 6'1 (Ray, DBC, Larkin, Compher, Kane). Its one of the reasons why Perron keeps getting a shot there. It is very unlikely that Berggren is going to take the spot of any of the above so now we are talking about him being the 6th guy and you have a verrry undersized top 6.

Regarding the contract though I could totally see Yzerman offering him a low multi-year and him rejecting it. He probably wants a 1 year/ 1 way deal where he can prove more.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'm just catching up on this report, but let me see if I have this straight:

He didn't ask for a trade
He didn't say he's unhappy in Detroit
Detroit has not said he's available for trade

And what the report actually is is:
They have not agreed on a next contract (no shit, it obviously has not been signed)
Hockey player wants to play in the NHL (no shit, this is true of everyone who has ever played the game)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad