Rumor: Berggren recently rejected Red Wings offer, Calgary and Montreal expressing interest - David Pagnotta

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Edvinsson would be every bit as good as Petry, maata or holl right now. All of these guys play sheltered roles anyways, which is what we’d do with edvinsson. Ed is a lot younger, cheaper, and needs experience to adjust to NHL speed. There’s no excuse for him and Berggren not to be in the NHL right now. Yzerman learned under holland, it’s no surprise he would apply a lot of similar qualities as him. It’s crazy people just can’t admit he does make mistakes and has some archaic holland esque qualities. Oh and just so you guys know, chiarot, fabbri, petry, holl, copp and hussos contracts are untradeable without giving up assets. We are stuck with almost all of these guys for the next 2 years while paying them a combined 20 million.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't disagree with you in that sense. But I think whilst Edvinsson is learning the ropes down in the Grand Rapids I think Yzerman and co signed some of these older D-men to learn some of the current young players the ways of being a pro so they can do the same when Edvinsson and others are up. I know us internet people roll our eyes at veteran presence and passing it on the to young players, but its very much a thing.
There is nothing I want our young players to learn from the likes of Ghost or Holl or Petry.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The meaningful minutes speach again. Kasper, Danielson and Mazur gets the same after the next camp. "They were realgud but there wasn't enough center spots for Kasper and Danielson, we want them to play in every situation, not just play."

It takes more than half a point per game for a forward to justify a promotion. I get the argument for Burger and Ed, but not Kasper and Mazur.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
There are big and meaningful minutes being played by mediocre at best defensemen in the NHL right now. The whole "the playoff run by GR will be a great learning experience for ED" narrative is just as applicable with the run the Wings are making. We should be wanting him to learn how to be an NHL defenseman and not an AHL defenseman.

those usage charts that people keep posting on here where Seider's pairing is way up there basically in a league of his own even though the second pairing is around the league average itself are very telling

the unspoken implication that has to happen for that to even be possible is just how dire the usage of the 3rd pairing must be, there's a lot of room there for someone like Edvinsson to help fill in the gap a bit but the Wings care more about having "depth"

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Why would we want Markstrom? Pass
a markstrom/lyon tandem with lyon being the starter is infinitely better than any combo or all of what we have now.

Markstrom is actually good. Most if not all the goals we scored against him he had a low shot at saving. One was deflected right in front of him from his own player, another he could see shi*. just as examples.

If you genuinely watch him play and see the saves he is making vs the actual goals he should have stopped, you'd be very surprised on what you see. He takes a lot of the net, he has good lateral and positioning in general. The Raymond goal (i think was against markstrom??) was the only one where he just got beat (could have been vladar, I don't remember).

Markstrom is leaps ahead of what husso has given us this year, and what reimer has shown us. He is signed for another two years after this, where lyon is one year after this year. Gives Cossa time to develop the next two to three years to become backup to whoever we keep between the two.

So, why wouldn't we want markstrom?

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
You mean like Fabs and Sprong who [checks notes] aren't top 6 players?
Fabs is signed to a one way deal hence why he’s sticking around with the team.

Sprong is playing very well for the team.

Remove either of these players and yes Bergy has room to crack the line up.

It’s a simple numbers game… he’s the odd man out due to roster flexibility right now.

If you want to debate whether or not he would be more impactful than Fabbri, then I think you have something to bark about…

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
a markstrom/lyon tandem with lyon being the starter is infinitely better than any combo or all of what we have now.

Markstrom is actually good. Most if not all the goals we scored against him he had a low shot at saving. One was deflected right in front of him from his own player, another he could see shi*. just as examples.

If you genuinely watch him play and see the saves he is making vs the actual goals he should have stopped, you'd be very surprised on what you see. He takes a lot of the net, he has good lateral and positioning in general. The Raymond goal (i think was against markstrom??) was the only one where he just got beat (could have been vladar, I don't remember).

Markstrom is leaps ahead of what husso has given us this year, and what reimer has shown us. He is signed for another two years after this, where lyon is one year after this year. Gives Cossa time to develop the next two to three years to become backup to whoever we keep between the two.

So, why wouldn't we want markstrom?
Why wouldn't we that's simple. He's being paid 6 million a year and is incredibly streaky.

His Sv% the last 4 years:

We have a starter and we don't need a 6 million dollar streak backup especially when we are tight against the cap next season.

Reactions: 14ari13

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I never blame guys for demanding their shot...its their life..its their future...they need to control it

I think JB has done everything he can to earn a chance in Detroit...if for one reason or another he isnt getting that shot, he absolutely should bet on himself and ask for a trade...
Thing is he can ask all he wants, he doesn't really have any leverage to force it. What he needs to do to make the wings and what he needs to do to be dealt are really the same thing. Play better and play relatively cheaply. At some point he's going to get a shot either in Detroit or be ask for by someone else for those two qualities.

I think it's just as likely Berggren just wants more money and that's why he turned down a rumored offer. I think he has to pass through waivers next year. He'll be in Detroit then.

Reactions: 14ari13

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Thing is he can ask all he wants, he doesn't really have any leverage to force it. What he needs to do to make the wings and what he needs to do to be dealt are really the same thing. Play better and play relatively cheaply. At some point he's going to get a shot either in Detroit or be ask for by someone else for those two qualities.

I think it's just as likely Berggren just wants more money and that's why he turned down a rumored offer. I think he has to pass through waivers next year. He'll be in Detroit then.
He has plenty of leverage. He can just not sign. If the Wings want to force him to ride buses, they'll have to make it worth his while. Or he'll sign with someone else. The FA in RFA means he can sign with whoever. Sign at a level that he'll be willing to ride buses for with someone else and if the Wings match, they match, but at least he gets the salary level he wants. And odds are it'll below any significant compensation levels for the team he signs with originally. There is no compensation below $1.4M. Just a 3rd rounder up to $2.1M.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Do you want a player in your locker room who dosent want to be there?

UFA
RFA
Just drafted

In the end it dosent matter..the consequences of potential toxicity always lead to a trade eventually

Last edited:

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I dont blame him if yzerman's trying to offer him a 3 year extension at 1 mill per ... no one knows the offer and hes probably pissed playing in the AHL all season and I dont blame him

Article says the wings are looking for someone whose not a rental ... for f***s sake just call up berggren and end the madness , the guy can play

More prospects will request trades if theyre overriping in grand rapids when 24 is around the corner

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
the guy can play
The guy can play with a lack of defense, a lack of physicality, and inconsistent effort. If he improves in those areas I'll be thrilled to have him on the ice. But playing well in Grand Rapids and then remaining one dimensional during a call up isn't enough to stick.

Reactions: jaster

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I don't think Burger gets traded unless Sprong re-signs. Burger is Sprong 2.0, he can play that spot if Sprong decides to walk.

Burger might be traded, but I'd be surprised if it happens before the season ends. Burger is RFA, Stevie isn't gonna panic.
Giving that contract to fabbri was a mistake the day it happened . Too money money and term, hes always been injury prone and now might help lead to berggren going. Yzerman should just eat some salary off fabbri and move him

We cant count on him playing 82 games and I'd say theres a 0% chance hes extended again

The guy can play with a lack of defense, a lack of physicality, and inconsistent effort. If he improves in those areas I'll be thrilled to have him on the ice. But playing well in Grand Rapids and then remaining one dimensional during a call up isn't enough to stick.
Hes put up stats every league hes been , 15 goals as a rookie and performed when up this season

I dont know about you but after seeing few shots through 2 periods tonight I'd say we can use him. Gonna love seeing fans come here and bitch if he starts performing elsewhere that he never got a chance

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Do you want a player in your locker room who dosent want to be there?

UFA
RFA
Just drafted

In the end it dosent matter..the consequences of potential toxicity always lead to a trade eventually

I don't think it's that, maybe the total opposite. He wants to be a part of the team bad with a big role.

People that "don't want to be there" get dealt with... From checking the guys extra hard in practice to just completely shunning them socially outside of hockey.

Wanting your shot and having a bad attitude/delusion self-worth are two different things though. I think Berggren has done all he could to make the team, hasn't due to depth, etc, and likely got a lower offer in his opinion than what a middle six winger is worth.

Reactions: lilidk

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It's on the player to handle themself professionally. I don't want players who become toxic anyway.
Of course

We also must recognize it is their career and they must do what's best for them at the end of the day..

At some point, and individuals can argue where that point is,..the player should put themselves first

I don't think it's that, maybe the total opposite. He wants to be a part of the team bad with a big role.

People that "don't want to be there" get dealt with... From checking the guys extra hard in practice to just completely shunning them socially outside of hockey.

Wanting your shot and having a bad attitude/delusion self-worth are two different things though.

Ok poor choice of words on my part...

If this rumour is correct, and lets assume it is, does it matter at all the reason behind it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad