Rumor: Berggren recently rejected Red Wings offer, Calgary and Montreal expressing interest - David Pagnotta

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Of course

We also must recognize it is their career and they must do what's best for them at the end of the day..

At some point, and individuals can argue where that point is,..the player should put themselves first

Ok poor choice of words on my part...

If this rumour is correct, and lets assume it is, does it matter at all the reason behind it?

Yeah, but only in perception from a buyers point of view. Like I think trading for Berggren is different than trading for a guy like the Penguins just got from Columbus or even Kaapo Kakko on the Rangers. Unlike those two, or even Zadina, he never really got a shot/ice(Berggren).

If you're talking about guys in OUR locker-room feeling about him asking for a trade. Nah man you can't blame a dude for wanting his shot/money. No player would be mad. But he is basically just a mercenary, You don't wish ill-will but he's not part of the plan either, just around for a few games, etc. It's dudes like Dubois you get pissed at, even the Elias Lindholm situation to an extent. Guys that are good, paid, and just don't want to be around.

It'd be more insightful to hear what the contract offer was.

Last edited:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
It could be something like he was offered a 2 way deal and he wants a 1 way deal. Not really worried. Granted I am not well versed in rfa deals.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If we are signing Kane which I hope we are, I really don't see a space for Berggren. I hope we include him in a package for a long-term asset. Seeing Calgary's interest, I would like to put him in the Hanifin package.

I heard he wants to sign in Boston, and he is a Massachusetts guy.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yeah, but only in perception from a buyers point of view. Like I think trading for Berggren is different than trading for a guy like the Penguins just got from Columbus or even Kaapo Kakko on the Rangers. Unlike those two, or even Zadina, he never really got a shot/ice(Berggren).

If you're talking about guys in OUR locker-room feeling about him asking for a trade. Nah man you can't blame a dude for wanting his shot/money. No player would be mad. But he is basically just a mercenary, You don't wish ill-will but he's not part of the plan either, just around for a few games, etc. It's dudes like Dubois you get pissed at, even the Elias Lindholm situation to an extent. Guys that are good, paid, and just don't want to be around.

It'd be more insightful to hear what the contract offer was.
I never meant nor do I believe whatsoever he is a "problem player."

I'm merely saying that IF he asked to be moved..he will be moved contract status be damned

Reactions: Snuggs

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
How about in a pckg for Rasmus Andersson ?
I don't think he is available and there the cost is one of our premium assets. I think Hanifin requires a 1st, plus Berggren and maybe something else or another pick. Andersson costs one of Kasper or Danielson. The three guys I think we should protect are Edvinsson, Kasper, and Danielson. They are critical for where we need to go as a team in a few years. I like Andersson, but I think we can build a different way, wouldn't hate seeing him added, just not the direction I personally would go.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I heard he wants to sign in Boston, and he is a Massachusetts guy.
One of the recent rumors is he prefers Tampa the most. Hard to say, I do know Larkin is one of his best friends. We would need to make the pitch, but again we could legitimately back-channel the extension which happens all the time...

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
One of the recent rumors is he prefers Tampa the most. Hard to say, I do know Larkin is one of his best friends. We would need to make the pitch, but again we could legitimately back-channel the extension which happens all the time...
'You do not want to play in Tampa - it is too warm...You'd much prefer to play in Detroit'...

databank_jedimindtrick_01_169_a491266d.jpeg

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Edvinsson would be every bit as good as Petry, maata or holl right now. All of these guys play sheltered roles anyways, which is what we’d do with edvinsson. Ed is a lot younger, cheaper, and needs experience to adjust to NHL speed. There’s no excuse for him and Berggren not to be in the NHL right now. Yzerman learned under holland, it’s no surprise he would apply a lot of similar qualities as him. It’s crazy people just can’t admit he does make mistakes and has some archaic holland esque qualities. Oh and just so you guys know, chiarot, fabbri, petry, holl, copp and hussos contracts are untradeable without giving up assets. We are stuck with almost all of these guys for the next 2 years while paying them a combined 20 million.
Petry is 3rd among Dmen in even strength minutes per game and 4th in PK minutes. He's not really sheltered like Maatta and Holl are.

Also, Wings are in the mix for a playoff spot and people are still spouting off about this??

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Petry is 3rd among Dmen in even strength minutes per game and 4th in PK minutes. He's not really sheltered like Maatta and Holl are.

Also, Wings are in the mix for a playoff spot and people are still spouting off about this??
I think the truth of the matter is Edvinsson will be playing in the playoffs. Petry as you point out despite how the board feels about him won't be the guy sitting to make that happen. I get the topic happening, Edvinsson is a top pick who looks the part, but even in the Wings glory years where they did the hold a guy down, they brought them up when all the chips were down. I guess we will see, but I have a hard time believing we don't see him in March and April.

Which is another thing on Berggren being available with the style of play and the way we are deploying guys. I am not sure that is the case, he is nice to have in terms of callup, but them keeping him down feels far different.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Completely understand him. He has not been treated well. Hopefully a wakeup call.

I don't think this is about a two way deal, as he would have to go through waivers, and plenty of teams would claim him.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I think the truth of the matter is Edvinsson will be playing in the playoffs. Petry as you point out despite how the board feels about him won't be the guy sitting to make that happen. I get the topic happening, Edvinsson is a top pick who looks the part, but even in the Wings glory years where they did the hold a guy down, they brought them up when all the chips were down. I guess we will see, but I have a hard time believing we don't see him in March and April.

Which is another thing on Berggren being available with the style of play and the way we are deploying guys. I am not sure that is the case, he is nice to have in terms of callup, but them keeping him down feels far different.
I am hoping Edvinsson comes up when the rosters expand and Holl is stapled to the press box. They might leave him in GR for the AHL playoffs though, which would be hugely unfortunate.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Completely understand him. He has not been treated well. Hopefully a wakeup call.

I don't think this is about a two way deal, as he would have to go through waivers, and plenty of teams would claim him.

I was gonna say the same thing. He will not clear waivers. No chance.

The only question here is how many coaches he'll go through before he understands that it takes consistent effort on both ends of the ice to stay in the league. Sprong is on his 4th, Max Domi is on his 7th, lol. Vrana is on his 5th (2 each with Caps and WIngs) and AA is on his 4th, though both have other issues (PAP and injuries).

Gonna love seeing fans come here and bitch if he starts performing elsewhere that he never got a chance
Do you miss AA or Vrana?

People said the same thing about Sprong, and he's finally getting it after 7 consecutive seasons of being healthy scratched. Sometimes it takes multiple coaches before the player realizes that he's the problem, and the coaching staff isn't the issue.

If Burger doesn't want to put in the defensive effort, then I'm ok with him leaving. This team doesn't need a player that has to be healthy scratched for lack of effort.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
'You do not want to play in Tampa - it is too warm...You'd much prefer to play in Detroit'...

databank_jedimindtrick_01_169_a491266d.jpeg
Where do you think you're going? Well, I'm not going that way. It's much too warm. This way is much colder.

Reactions: FMichael

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
The meaningful minutes speach again. Kasper, Danielson and Mazur gets the same after the next camp. "They were realgud but there wasn't enough center spots for Kasper and Danielson, we want them to play in every situation, not just play."
How many 19 and 20 year olds break into the league successfully? It's not exactly a common thing. And we've had 2 recent ones do that in Seider and Raymond. The first round picks aren't all going to just jump into the NHL within a couple seasons of being drafted. I wouldn't say any of our prospects have been rushed, or held back. Nothing wrong with the tried and true method of mastering their current level before jumping up a league. Edvinsson will be on the Wings opening night next season, book it. Assuming he's not a regular to close out this season depending on what happens in the next couple weeks. Kasper, Danielson, and Mazur can work their way up, they still need to work on parts of their game.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I love the fact that the Red Wings are in a playoff spot with decent prospects hungry for a spot on the team. It reminds me of the glory days.
Yeah, reminds.. The difference is that back in the day I knew we are making the playoffs before the season even started.

I honestly never realized how good a team needs to be to just make the playoffs. Last decade was a reality check for me.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yeah, reminds.. The difference is that back in the day I knew we are making the playoffs before the season even started.

I honestly never realized how good a team needs to be to just make the playoffs. Last decade was a reality check for me.
It's a lot harder than it was in the 90s between the weird draft lottery, salary cap that only certain teams are allowed to exceed, and loser points.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Do you miss AA or Vrana?

People said the same thing about Sprong, and he's finally getting it after 7 consecutive seasons of being healthy scratched. Sometimes it takes multiple coaches before the player realizes that he's the problem, and the coaching staff isn't the issue.

If Burger doesn't want to put in the defensive effort, then I'm ok with him leaving. This team doesn't need a player that has to be healthy scratched for lack of effort.
He had a similar season stats wise with Seattle so why didnt he stick? It just so happened he figured it out now?? With us ? Hes been good no doubt but I wouldn't be shocked if hes destined to be another sillinger and tossed around most of his career

berggren has been gone most of the season and when he was in he was productive, in the 4th line. Hes been productive everywhere hes been and never got a legitimate shot here .

Trading him especially now with his value being non existent is something that can come back to bite us . You dont agree, that's fine . Time will tell... you can bring up AA and other past players all you want but if we dealt him for a 3rd or mediocre player and he becomes a consistent 50-60 pt guy you know some ppl who are alm for dealing him will be back here to complain

Still think the play is to move fabbri . We'll see how berggren's nhl career turns out in a few years

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I hope he lights up the wings for his career. Horrific mismanagement of this asset.
I hope we keep him but even if he’s traded I don’t think it’s mismanagement. Especially if he’s part of a package to improve our NHL roster. Ultimately, the Wings are a team building depth and that means anyone who isn’t an upper-echelon talent will be in a dogfight to make the roster and earn icetime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad