Speculation: Bergevin to hit Panic Button in MTL

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I'd move Duchene for Mete + 1st + Hudon but they're probably overvaluing Mete at the moment and the 1st is looking like it could be a lottery pick. Sergachev is really the guy they should've used for a centre.

No thanks. Our 1st isn't going anywhere, either.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Price would likely not be onboard with a full rebuild: he wants to make the playoffs.

Would be fascinating to see how that would develop if they tear it down and management calls it a rebuild.

Price is a great team player but at some point he has to think about his own future: he isn't 25 anymore.

Price is in no situation to be complaining with the contract we gave him. You’re right, he likely wouldn’t be on board but he would have to be very lenient on that NMC we gave him if he ever asked for a trade. We gave him that much money, $70 million of it guaranteed to keep him here.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The Price-Islanders trade and rebuild scenarios I posted are obviously just one of many possible outcomes. Most everything posted here on these forums is speculation and the rest is just reaction to events in the hockey world.

No bud. Price and that awful contract are not coming to LI. No matter how many fantasy trades suggestions the Canadian press tosses out: Chucky for Leddy+ Beau, Price for several bluechip prospects....it's not happening.

Isles have two young goal prospects they are extremely high on.
And we know from the DiPietro contract how those goalie albatross contracts can strangle an organization.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Having Price will not allow you to bottom out as you suggest.
Your team is too good to bottom out and not good enough to make a playoff run.

Having Carey Price on their roster is literally the worst thing that could happen to them at this point. It's the most ironic thing.

Montreal's window has closed, and they won't do what's necessary to fix things.

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
No bud. Price and that awful contract are not coming to LI. No matter how many fantasy trades suggestions the Canadian press tosses out: Chucky for Leddy+ Beau, Price for several bluechip prospects....it's not happening.

And we know from the DiPietro contract how those goalie albatross contracts can strangle an organization.

Well, like I suggested, it's just one of many possible scenarios but it is possible. There is a way the Price contract doesn't kill the Isles. From what I read, it would appear Tavares is looking for 10M+ per year and by all accounts the Isles offer would be in that neighbourhood. If the Isles can't resign him then that money could easily be allocated for Price and if the Isles were able to unload at least one of Ladd or Boychuk in the Price deal, the argument could be made that for the next 4 - 5 years the Isles would actually be in a better situation cap wise then they would be by just signing Tavares.

I have no doubt the fans do know better but never say never, especially when this guy is behind the wheel...

dxUrlvq.jpg

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Well, like I suggested, it's just one of many possible scenarios but it is possible. There is a way the Price contract doesn't kill the Isles. From what I read, it would appear Tavares is looking for 10M+ per year and by all accounts the Isles offer would be in that neighbourhood. If the Isles can't resign him then that money could easily be allocated for Price and if the Isles were able to unload at least one of Ladd or Boychuk in the Price deal, the argument could be made that for the next 4 - 5 years the Isles would actually be in a better situation cap wise then they would be by just signing Tavares.

I have no doubt the fans do know better but never say never, especially when this guy is behind the wheel...

dxUrlvq.jpg
Both Ladd and Boychuk have NTC. Boychuk and his wife are building a house on LI.A big part of both Ladd and Boychuk's contracts are heavily front loaded and bonus filled.
I don't see either waiving for a rebuilding Montreal.

No interest in Price and his albatross contract.
If he is moved, I doubt he returns anywhere near the haul some Habs fans are expecting.
As for Snow.....the Habs GM is the one who looks to be under a ton of pressure.
I would expect he will be the one more likely to make a panic move.

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
There's no way Bergevin would be able to trade Price but I think you're right, he will make a desperate move that will ultimately be the last mistake ownership allows him to make. Any potential deal would have to come from his successor.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The only people that think the Islanders will ever move out of the area, are people that desperately want their own team, writers that need something to talk about, and/or people that are poor at business.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I like the Habs and their fans but the fury they had towards Michel Therrien was laughable. To see how they are performing now that he is gone is even funnier. In 58 games last season, he had 31 wins.

I for one always thought Therrien was a good coach. Got the best out of the cards he was dealt.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
It's kind of depressing to read all this. It's like the Habs are practically hopeless.

They won't be this bad all year, but they are digging themselves quite a hole and the lack of finishing skills is obvious and has been a problem for a while now. They aren't playing that bad, they're getting the chances they just can't score.

Last edited:

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
I'd move Duchene for Mete + 1st + Hudon but they're probably overvaluing Mete at the moment and the 1st is looking like it could be a lottery pick. Sergachev is really the guy they should've used for a centre.

Terrible for the habs, habs need to keep their 1st rounder and we can't trade Mete with the current defense. At this point embrace the tank.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

You know another contract that might be considered awful? That 10 mil + you have to offer to a guy that has 3 points in 7 games this season.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Weber will not be hard to move. There are enough GMs who'll think win-now, Team Canada vet, etc, etc. Look at Oshie signing an 8 year deal with WSH at a similar age, there are clearly GMs who are in win-now mode and possibly looking forward to the possibility of compliance buyouts. Weber at a 7.8M cap hit as a reliable top 2 RD would be marketable enough. Would Montreal get enough in return to make up for the fact that they offloaded Subban to get Weber....probably not. Probably not even close. But I think he'd be movable.

Not to mention, all his cap recapture years are done, so a team acquiring him could comfortable buy him out with a regular buyout 4-5 years down the line if he regressed. Never the less, most GMs don't think long term enough to be all that afraid of the Weber contract if it means being able to buy low on the type of player Weber is perceived as. Top 2RDs don't grow on trees.

Price is a wild card. He has a limited NTC, and he presents a major commitment. I genuinely don't know if he'd be tradable. I'd like to think he would be, but there are so few teams who'll be on his list who can fit him in, at that point MTL would be trading him just to move on and get something. Unless everything went perfectly, they certainly wouldn't get full value because the market would probably be very slim.

You're right that all his recapture years being over makes him more enticing now as the acquiring team wouldn't have to worry about recapture if he retires(Nashville still praying that doesn't happen), but you'd have to be insane(or a budget team) to buy him out. Those low money years on the end make the cap worse, not better. You'd be looking at 7 million buyout cap hits if you bought him out during those last three 1 million dollar years, only the the handful of teams that are more than 5 million away from the cap would consider doing that.

A compliance buyout would certainly come in handy if one needd it at the end of that deal though given the money is almost nothing($333,333 a year for twice the years remaining if you buy him out in the last 3 years)

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
He's definitely gonna do something stupid soon if they keep losing, and the fallout from it will be entertaining as hell.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
After the start the team has had, coupled with the decomposing composition, I am doubting Bergevin will be around long enough to hit that proverbial panic button.

The collapse against The Ducks may be the nail in that coffin...

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
He's definitely gonna do something stupid soon if they keep losing, and the fallout from it will be entertaining as hell.
I'm anxiously waiting. This implosion on the Habs board is hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad