Speculation: Bergevin to hit Panic Button in MTL

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
This is how I suspect it will all go down:

At some point, barring a drastic turnaround in MTL's fortunes, one or more of Pacioretty and Galchenyuk will be traded. The return is likely to be Duchene. These players will be the base of any deal. Bergevin will make other personnel changes in a desperate bid to improve the team and keep his job. Weber will be given the C.

Bergevin's firing is inevitable however, and will come this season or off-season. The poor results on the ice, combined with poor asset management, all but guarantee MB's departure. The loss of players such as Radulov, Subban, Markov, Emelin, Sergachev and others has helped to narrow the cup window. A lack of prospects and draft picks in the cupboard leaves the organization and fans wanting.

Probably Roy will become the new GM, mostly because he's French, but also because he's a storied, former star goaltender. Julien will remain the coach. The hiring of this new GM will signal the commencement of a much-needed rebuild and the pursuit of new priorities.

Because MTL has some great pieces to build around, the rebuild will be accelerated. A complete tear-down is possible but unlikely. Price, Weber, Drouin and Duchene will be among the core players to remain in MTL. Habs will bottom out this year and get a good player at the draft. It's expected the new GM will make more inspired and wise decisions to turn the organization around.

It's time we fans embrace what is to come. If we're lucky, it will be similar to what has happened in Toronto.

Last edited:

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Duchene is coming to MTL -- that I can tell you. Pacioretty and Galchenyuk both need a change of scenery and it will happen.

Maybe they'll call it a re-tool, though.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Duchene is coming to MTL -- that I can tell you. Pacioretty and Galchenyuk both need a change of scenery and it will happen.

The avs might just take Galchenyuk + 1st given how badly the habs are doing this year.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Just because you want a player does not make Colorado obligated to give him to you. Galy and your first might get it done but that is just digging a deeper hole. Galchenyuk's stock is pretty low right now. not the best time to trade him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
MB won't be making anymore trades. I figure he's fired if the Habs lose in Anaheim.
Not that he doesn't deserve to be fired, but when was the last time a GM was fired mid-year, let alone December. Its almost impossible to bring in anyone mid-year, and what options do the Habs have outside of promoting someone like Timmins? I guess Roy, but its not like he can change the supporting cast.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Not that he doesn't deserve to be fired, but when was the last time a GM was fired mid-year, let alone December. Its almost impossible to bring in anyone mid-year, and what options do the Habs have outside of promoting someone like Timmins? I guess Roy, but its not like he can change the supporting cast.

No idea, but there's no one left to blame and this team needs a clean slate.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
MB won't be making anymore trades. I figure he's fired if the Habs lose in Anaheim.

That'd be pretty surprising....only a few months after he signed Price to that big deal and held the Drouin PC where he kind of rubbed people the wrong way with the "I told you guys to expect the unexpected line".

But yea, moving forward, you have to get rid of him....he's already proven to be pretty incompetent.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No idea, but there's no one left to blame and this team needs a clean slate.
Yeah, I understand coaching changes and stuff mid-year but GM changes (and staff turnarounds) I think would be almost impossible to execute at this point. I'd be curious to see the fall-out, just because managerially you need someone to keep your front-office somewhat structured, so you can't clean house of top executives but at the same time, if you think someone is incompetent, you don't want them in a position where they trade to save their job.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah, I understand coaching changes and stuff mid-year but GM changes (and staff turnarounds) I think would be almost impossible to execute at this point. I'd be curious to see the fall-out, just because managerially you need someone to keep your front-office somewhat structured, so you can't clean house of top executives but at the same time, if you think someone is incompetent, you don't want them in a position where they trade to save their job.

Frankly that would be the only reason they can him right now, basically saying he already screwed this team up and they aren't going to let him stay in a position to screw up the rebuild.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
the only thing he has left to screw the Habs is to trade the 1st round pick and Galchenyuk for a 60 point center

Please lord have mercy and get him fired.

He's already wasted what will probably be half of Price's contract on a mess that the next GM will have to fix

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
As a Habs fan I would prefer a trade involving Max Pac vs Tavares. I dont think Duchesne brings enough to make a difference to this horrible team.

And I prefer they fire Bergevin and let the new GM make the trades

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
As a Habs fan I would prefer a trade involving Max Pac vs Tavares. I dont think Duchesne brings enough to make a difference to this horrible team.

And I prefer they fire Bergevin and let the new GM make the trades
Tavares would cost Pacioretty+++.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Frankly that would be the only reason they can him right now, basically saying he already screwed this team up and they aren't going to let him stay in a position to screw up the rebuild.
Yeah, Leafs fired Burke right after the 2012-13 lockout, but kept his entire staff in places. Although, that happened due to Bell and Rogers buying the Leafs during the lockout, and Bell's CEO (George Cope) having serious issues with how Brian Burke carried himself and represented the team, and was able to get Rogers to agree. They just bumped Nonis. While it was partially performance based, the firing was way more based on Burke's persona, and how he was practically having Nonis run the team anyway, so it wasn't a dramatic change outside of the face of the team.

I guess they would bump Dudley up, and then try to figure out what to. Maybe if you win the lotto, he'll figure out a way to trade down from 1 to 3, but somehow still get you Dahlin or Svechnikov (I have no idea how Dudley did this twice).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Seen habs fan's think Tavares is their solution, uhh yeah how do you plan on getting him? Doubt he'd be even interested in re-signing long term in Montreal anyways. Seems like a pipedream to me.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So I wonder where the posters are who were bragging up how good Montreal would be this year, and how the roster is even better than last years...

Reactions: Viqsi and RayB

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Tavares would cost Pacioretty+++.

Yes I agree. I have no problem adding more to get a franchise player like Tavares.
MaxPac is good for close to 40 goals and has good defensive play.
But he is not a franchise player, not a leader. He inspires no one and disappears in the playoffs.
Never finishes a bodycheck. Never uses his size to score an ugly goal.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Seen habs fan's think Tavares is their solution, uhh yeah how do you plan on getting him? Doubt he'd be even interested in re-signing long term in Montreal anyways. Seems like a pipedream to me.

Pipe dreams and moral victories are all we have left this year!

Obviously a deal for Tavares would have to be on the condition that he signs a long term deal. Habs are desperate enough to make it interesting to the Islanders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad