Speculation: Bergevin to hit Panic Button in MTL

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
Stop this french thing ... your off the charts ... the criteria is to speak both languages ... Gainey was our GM ... Julien is a Franco-Ontarian.

It's not where they were born that is the issue, it's that they need to be able to speak french, which I don't see the need for. Speaking french has no impact on the GM's duties outside of occaisionally dealing with the media. A more qualified candidate being passed over for a french speaking candidate, just doesn't make sense. From my point of view, it hurts the on ice product for the sake of making the media happy.

Needing a GM to be able to speak french is like seeing an ad in the paper "Plumber wanted: Must have at least 2 years experience in interpretive dance"

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
The future will tell but please be honest in your analysis:

- Subban was not a loss ... we got Weber in return
- Emelin was not a loss ... he has been a healthy scratch in the last 20 games and most experts agreed he was quite erratic
- Sergatchev was not a loss ... was not playing with the team last year and we got Drouin in return

A few more thoughts:

Most experts believe Duchene is a very good player but not a "core" player.

Our best player (and with highest cap hit in the future) is our goalie with a .885 save average.

Patrick Roy will never be a GM ... he is way too impetuous and emotional. When MB was hired the runner up was Pierre McGuire and I believe he would be the next GM. Stop this french thing ... your off the charts ... the criteria is to speak both languages ... Gainey was our GM ... Julien is a Franco-Ontarian.

lol.

Reactions: PAZ and al secord

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He's had his hand on the panic button since he got the job. The Duchene for Gally trade would be good though.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
As Neil Young would say; "Vary inarastin..."

Patrick Roy Quote – “If ever a team called, for sure I would listen, but the more it goes the more I’m sensing that it’s the management side that interests me more. It’s not that I’m not interested in coaching, but the management side…is more interesting for me.”
Dreger

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
As Neil Young would say; "Vary inarastin..."

Patrick Roy Quote – “If ever a team called, for sure I would listen, but the more it goes the more I’m sensing that it’s the management side that interests me more. It’s not that I’m not interested in coaching, but the management side…is more interesting for me.”
Dreger

He’ll be the next GM

Reactions: Howie Hodge

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
The Price-Islanders trade and rebuild scenarios I posted are obviously just one of many possible outcomes. Most everything posted here on these forums is speculation and the rest is just reaction to events in the hockey world.

Having said that, Bergevin's replacement could very well opt to keep Price and Weber, try to retool and give the playoffs a run. If I had to choose between retooling a roster with a 30 year old Price and 32 year old Webber or rebuilding with a chance at a McDavid-Draisaitl, Scheifele-Laine-Ehlers, Matthews-Marner-Nylander or Eichel-Reinhart-Ristolainen then I'm going with the rebuild. Two and a half years ago Mike Babcock told us Leafs fans that pain was coming and there was, maybe not as much as he expected due to getting lucky with Matthews but the fans had dealt with plenty of pain before Babcock arrived in the form of retools and ridiculous free agent signings leading to mediocrity. It's the worst when treading water and the suffering is for nothing.

Losing sucks but it doesn't last if you rebuild properly. Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto and Buffalo. These are all teams who, just like Andy Dufresne, swam through a river of s*** and came out clean on the other side. Soon they'll be on a Mexican beach waiting to see Morgan Freeman.

The beach is the playoffs and Morgan Freeman is the Stanley Cup, if it wasn't clear.

Reactions: Donkey Punch
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
That might be sound advice... if it wasn't for the fact that Montreal has a bunch of massive holes in their lineup.

No #1c, a poor fit as a #2c, and a lack of mobility on the blueline.

Regardless, they aren't going to fix those holes now. Starting abut 20 games in, I think they should begin trading players for picks and prospects and re-build their depth. Maybe they can get lucky in the draft lottery.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So I wonder where the posters are who were bragging up how good Montreal would be this year, and how the roster is even better than last years...

Perhaps a vocal minority, but a very clear majority of Habs fans were not feeling this way.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I don't want Bergevin, Dudley, Carriere, or any of the patronage appointments that Berg has made making any decisions about the future. I want Molson to grow a spine, or get pressured from the majority ownership to make changes.

1. Call Scotty Bowman and ask him to come in and be something similar to what Lou Lamoreillo is in Toronto.
2. Extensive GM search. Julien Brisebois would be on my list.
3. Sit down with coaching staff. If you don't think Julien is the guy, dump him. I don't care if he's got 4 years left.
4. Fire the entire pro scouting department.
5. Remove Lefebvre from Laval. Five years of futility and losing.

Amen!

I only half agree with #4. I see it like this:
4. Evaluate Timmin's work accordingly. On the one hand, his track record for drafted players making it to the NHL (total games) is strong, but I find we have very little value on the farm team. I mean, it's one thing to find players that will make it to the NHL but once in a while you need someone that will make it on the top line. Is this because of Bergevin's vision overriding Timmins'? Read an article about how many 2nd round pics Bergy has traded over the years, and what players Timmins had wanted over the ones that GMs took (AK47 over Getzlaf for example)

id also like to add:
6. Forget about french-speaking GMs and coaches! Geez, we are litterally shooting ourselves in the foot ! Pick the best man for the job!

Is Bowman still around?

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
idk, every year i look at the Habs' roster and think they look like they got worse, and every year they do well, and their possession numbers are fine. This year they're tenth in score adjusted corsi, which is pretty good, and they have several players who'd traditionally make an impact outside of the shot attempt numbers (Weber, Price). I sorta think they'll be fine. They could still use that 1C we always hear about. Maybe they luck out and get Duchene or Tavares. But they're deeper than people think, too. Any and all of Pacioretty, Gallagher, Shaw, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Weber, Lehkonen, Byron, Danaut, and Hudon could score 20 goals without really surprising me at all. I'd still bet you we see them in the playoffs.

airlouche

Jan 24, 2008
Laval
It's not where they were born that is the issue, it's that they need to be able to speak french, which I don't see the need for. Speaking french has no impact on the GM's duties outside of occaisionally dealing with the media. A more qualified candidate being passed over for a french speaking candidate, just doesn't make sense. From my point of view, it hurts the on ice product for the sake of making the media happy.

Needing a GM to be able to speak french is like seeing an ad in the paper "Plumber wanted: Must have at least 2 years experience in interpretive dance"

I totally agree, I'm a francophone and I really dont care if the GM or the coach dont speak french. I want the best available.

Reactions: bryan1966

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
IF Tavares leaves the NYI you can guarantee 100% it won't be to a rebuilding or retooling franchise that has been spinning its wheels for a very long time now.

He is more likely to go to NJ than Montreal

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
I like the Habs and their fans but the fury they had towards Michel Therrien was laughable. To see how they are performing now that he is gone is even funnier. In 58 games last season, he had 31 wins.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'm not sure there's much they cant do at this point. They wont get good value for AG and moving MP I doubt they'd do. Going to have to work it out from within.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
At this point Nielsen probably wouldn't be able to help what woes the Habs. He is decent. Just the Habs are missing a top 6 center to go along with a top 6 winger on the right and left side IMO. The defense can't move the puck well enough to get the forwards moving. Secondly, Plekanec would have to go in order to make it work as Drouin and Danault play center. Plekanec is basically here until the deadline or walk at the end of the season. I have a feeling after the season if it goes downhill fast the Habs will try to go with a bit more youth and speed.

Hemsky
Plekanec
Mitchell

Will all be gone on offence.

Aren't the Habs woes a little overstated? They lead the NHL in shots.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Jvr, Bozak and Rosen for Galch.

Instant offense with chemistry built in, just add a rw. It's great for cap. As both ufa at end of season. Rosen, young mobile Dman.

Leaf fans waited decades to have the offensive depth we have now, and some fans want to trade it all away for whatever they can.

6-1, and the Leaf fans still can't enjoy the team, need scape goats.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Leaf fans waited decades to have the offensive depth we have now, and some fans want to trade it all away for whatever they can.

6-1, and the Leaf fans still can't enjoy the team, need scape goats.

If that's what you need to tell yourself. Sure.

Right now we have the depth. We can score. The Habs can't. Habs can try to wait it out and see if you start scoring or try trades. If thier trading, they do from a weaker position. Jvr and Bozak are weak defensively and both ufa. I would gladly give them away....we have a ton of scoring in the minors.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
First of all it's only October. I don't base an entire 82 game season on 7 games at the beginning of the year. If the Habs were 8-1 in October and then had this stretch in December, people would be like whatever. Just about everyone on the team is starting slow (this is really the new coaches first year) so it's magnified. Bergevin isn't trading Weber/Price/Patches after 6-7 games. Let's see what things look like by American Thanksgiving. That's when possible deals might take place. Other teams who are 6-1 aren't trading multiple pieces (messing up the winning) at this point either. So trades are usually quiet.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
If that's what you need to tell yourself. Sure.

Right now we have the depth. We can score. The Habs can't. Habs can try to wait it out and see if you start scoring or try trades. If thier trading, they do from a weaker position. Jvr and Bozak are weak defensively and both ufa. I would gladly give them away....we have a ton of scoring in the minors.

We have 0 interest in JVR and Bozak.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Price would likely not be onboard with a full rebuild: he wants to make the playoffs.

Would be fascinating to see how that would develop if they tear it down and management calls it a rebuild.

Price is a great team player but at some point he has to think about his own future: he isn't 25 anymore.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Price would likely not be onboard with a full rebuild: he wants to make the playoffs.

Would be fascinating to see how that would develop if they tear it down and management calls it a rebuild.

Price is a great team player but at some point he has to think about his own future: he isn't 25 anymore.

No worries. Montreal will never commit to a full rebuild as long as Price is on the team. They simply cant. Price will not play at a .850 level forever, and any team with a Price, playing like the Price we know- plays, will never bottom out enough to draft a lottery pick.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd move Duchene for Mete + 1st + Hudon but they're probably overvaluing Mete at the moment and the 1st is looking like it could be a lottery pick. Sergachev is really the guy they should've used for a centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad