Speculation: Bergevin to hit Panic Button in MTL

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Maybe, they will have a big ceremony on Tuesday honoring one of their best players from the past - like Subban, or somebody.
Maybe they'll give out free poutine and DuMauriers every time they score 3 goals at home.

Take THAT, Pizza Pizza!

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Probably have to wait till the end of the month before assessing anything tbh because the schedule had a 3 game road trip to start then a couple home games and a 4 game Cali road trip after that.

But let's say that they're still in the shitter at the end of the month, what would hitting the panic button do? It's not going to fix anything, it would then be time to hit the rebuild or re-tool button and write off the season.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Can Weber contract be moved? It's huge!

Montreal would look bad, too. They just gave up the face of their franchise to get this guy. I think they altered more than their blueline with that move.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

Montreal would look bad, too. They just gave up the face of their franchise to get this guy. I think they altered more than their blueline with that move.

Price is still with the Habs.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It would have to be at least 2 million retained and a package of non-core pieces going to back make me ok with this as a Leafs fan

He's got an AAV of 7.85M for the next 8 years and he's already 32

**** taking that monstrosity, even if Montreal were willing to retain 50% (which they wouldn't) I wouldn't touch that thing with a barge pole

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You know another contract that might be considered awful? That 10 mil + you have to offer to a guy that has 3 points in 7 games this season.
I said in a Tavares thread on the NYI board, that I could see the Isles winning the Belmont bid and ownership(with a new arena coming and tixs to sell) , offering Tavares a huge paycheck.

More then his production says is worth.
Ah, well Habs will have Price with his $10.5m salary and Weber with his $8m cap hit, while Isles have Tavares and his $10.5m salary. Of the 3, I would rather have 27 yr old Tavares on a big, long term deal.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The entire organization needs to hit the reset button. Players need to be traded, MB needs to be fired and if Julien is lucky he will be too so the new GM can have their handpicked guy at the helm and then in a couple of months he's coaching in a place like Winnipeg.

I hate to fully absolve Julien of everything that's happening on the ice but the players are starting to give up and we're not even 10 games into the year. When you lose a locker room that fast you know it's not just the coach.

PTK

Oct 15, 2010
Really need an infusion of people who can recognize talent. Rather than reputation/hype or whatever they're basing their judgments on. This defense is a disaster and they chose it. Weber and Mete are the only guys playing at an nhl level right now.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Price, Poehling to BUF for Reinhart, Nylander, Lehner
Pacioretty, Hemsky to LAK for Muzzin + Kempe + 1st

Last edited:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The entire organization needs to hit the reset button. Players need to be traded, MB needs to be fired and if Julien is lucky he will be too so the new GM can have their handpicked guy at the helm and then in a couple of months he's coaching in a place like Winnipeg.

I hate to fully absolve Julien of everything that's happening on the ice but the players are starting to give up and we're not even 10 games into the year. When you lose a locker room that fast you know it's not just the coach.

I'm not sure the players are giving up. That rarely happens, especially so early in the season. The Habs have a ton of shots on goal so it's not a lack of trying. It's just a poorly assembled team that has also been extremely unlucky. Not saying things will completely turn around and they will go on a 10 game winning streak, but they are not as bad as they've been so far.

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
A lot of people are throwing out the "rebuild" word too casually, as if it is very easy to do. Unfortunately, with the contracts given to Weber, Price, and Alzner, there's no way for a proper rebuild. There is no "bottoming out" for this team until those contracts are gone, and those contracts are untradeable so they would have to wait until 8/9 years until they are able to sink to the depths and start grabbing some good draft picks. Price is having a bit of a rough start, but if he plays his average for the next few years, there is no way Montreal is going to finish in the gutter. They could miss the playoffs, but when they do they would still pick in the 10-15 range.

Pretty much, the Habs need a lot of help around the league. Either their GM finds a way to move those untradeable contracts (Clarkson got traded so it is possible just highly unlikely), or they pull out a lucky lottery win in a good year. Both of those are hoping for miracles, but otherwise, I just don't see anyway for that team to be anything for a while.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Price, Poehling to BUF for Reinhart, Nylander, Lehner
Pacioretty, Hemsky to LAK for Muzzin + Kempe + 1st

No thanks from LA. Pacioretty is a nice piece but not worth that much. Blake would hang up on the Habs so fast. LA is looking for a young Center with Carter out. More likely something around Galchenyuk. There were rumors of LA getting back in the Duchene talks.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA

I don’t often think in terms of “friable offence. Too many variables are, or should be, in play before ownership decides on dumping a GM.

But getting rid of Subban was about as close as you’d come to making a single move that should get you fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad