Speculation: Bergevin shut down by owner.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If any of this is true which I doubt, than the fault lies in Molson and not Bergevin. It would be the second known time he interferes with his GM. If he's getting involved in these decisions and not giving his GM reign then he's the one who should be removed as President and replaced.

If Bergevin is the GM, let him do his job. If you have no confidence in him, fire him. This isn't a role you can do with one foot out the door.

Exactly.

Fire him and bring in an interim veteran guy to guide the ship until you've done your hiring....

Nothing worse than a lame duck in that role

Reactions: DXStriker

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Exactly.

Fire him and bring in an interim veteran guy to guide the ship until you've done your hiring....

Nothing worse than a lame duck in that role

Its not just bergevin needs to go...its the whole structure...the only one that can stay is Julian and Mulleur Timmens Waite...Everyone else needs to go

Everyone at the AHL level needs to go
All the Scouts need to go
All the people in charge of development need to go
Whoever does his player evaluation needs to go

its not only bergevin...if its only bergevin then nothing will change as he is getting information about player via his scouts..

Reactions: Andrei79

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
That's not what Toronto did.
They didn't even got as many top 60 picks in one draft than the Habs already got this year.
They didn't pick twice in the 1st round since 2011.
They didn't made thousand of trade, they only traded Kessel, Phaneuf and a 2-3 spare parts.

But they did went out and got what they needed.
They traded a 1st + 2nd in their rebuild in order to get a goaltender.

It's not about winning trades, it's not about having as many picks as possible and it's not about trading everyone.
It's about getting what the team needs.

That's where Bergevin failed and keep failing.

I wasn't comparing both teams. I was asking the posters here whether they think Molson will go for the rebuild, as in firing Bergevin and hiring a GM with the task of making it happen. It's only when the Leafs named Shanahan as President and Alternate Governor that things started to change in Toronto (Lamoriello, Babcock, winning the lottery, etc.).

I think not only the window is closed from Montreal, they need to change the shitty aluminium frame to a fiberglass one.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Its not just bergevin needs to go...its the whole structure...the only one that can stay is Julian and Mulleur Timmens Waite...Everyone else needs to go

Everyone at the AHL level needs to go
All the Scouts need to go
All the people in charge of development need to go
Whoever does his player evaluation needs to go

its not only bergevin...if its only bergevin then nothing will change as he is getting information about player via his scouts..

I would keep Christer Rockstrom. He's a legend. No point letting him go. Just give him some new blood to help assist in scouting.

LaFloater

Jan 23, 2014
Burlington
Fire them all because in the immortal words of Alec Baldwin in Glengarry, Glen Ross...." A loser is a LOSER". Fire MB, Fire Julien, Muller, Fire the scouts. Keep Youpi Burn the whole thing down with a cleansing fire!!!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What a bloody mess.

Right now is the premium time to be trying to trade Patches and of course to move Plekanec as he is a UFA.

Do I trust MB to make these moves? Plekanec I think so. Patches no.

Last year was the premium time to trade Pac, now that he's on pace for 22 goals, 48 pts that's a huge drop off in production which has to impact his value by a good bit. I don't know what they will do, they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, as this organization lives and dies by Price and he is having his worst season to date right before he is due to start his 84M contract is about to kick in.

So what can they do to fix this mess? With 10.5M a year locked up to a goalie that we don't know what's wrong with. Is he on the start of a decline or just a bad year? If he bounces back next year the Habs will certainly be a good bit better even with that crap defense in front of him. But if he is on the down trend then they are f***ed for many years as you just can't have 10.5M wasted.

So for me it's all about Price and trying to figure out what's up. If they trade Pac, who I would be all for, they must nail it, if not you hold onto him and hope he rebounds next year as you can not trade him and not get something big in return as we have very little assets to trade that can bring much in the way of value.

Keep in mind that we might have only 1 more season left in the NHL and then we could be looking at who knows what. As we get closer to the lockout perhaps we will have a clearer picture but it's something to keep in mind at least imo.

I know most won't like it, but if MB stays, then I don't want him making any big moves since the only big moves he's made aren't looking so hot unless it's a slam dunk move. That said since he's going to be a UFA after next season, it's a huge gamble that he can get back to his 35+ goal ways and up his value.

Reactions: Runner77

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Last year was the premium time to trade Pac, now that he's on pace for 22 goals, 48 pts that's a huge drop off in production which has to impact his value by a good bit. I don't know what they will do, they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, as this organization lives and dies by Price and he is having his worst season to date right before he is due to start his 84M contract is about to kick in.

So what can they do to fix this mess? With 10.5M a year locked up to a goalie that we don't know what's wrong with. Is he on the start of a decline or just a bad year? If he bounces back next year the Habs will certainly be a good bit better even with that crap defense in front of him. But if he is on the down trend then they are ****ed for many years as you just can't have 10.5M wasted.

So for me it's all about Price and trying to figure out what's up. If they trade Pac, who I would be all for, they must nail it, if not you hold onto him and hope he rebounds next year as you can not trade him and not get something big in return as we have very little assets to trade that can bring much in the way of value.

Keep in mind that we might have only 1 more season left in the NHL and then we could be looking at who knows what. As we get closer to the lockout perhaps we will have a clearer picture but it's something to keep in mind at least imo.

I know most won't like it, but if MB stays, then I don't want him making any big moves since the only big moves he's made aren't looking so hot unless it's a slam dunk move. That said since he's going to be a UFA after next season, it's a huge gamble that he can get back to his 35+ goal ways and up his value.
We really need to get Price out of Montreal even if he bounce back next srason. Price will never be as good as he was 3 years ago, he's already on the decline. I would take a 1st round pick if its Price's value. NHL worst contract right here.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We really need to get Price out of Montreal even if he bounce back next srason. Price will never be as good as he was 3 years ago, he's already on the decline. I would take a 1st round pick if its Price's value. NHL worst contract right here.

NMC though, so he only goes if wants to. MB has put the Habs in a very bad spot and it's going to be very difficult to get out of it unless players like Price, Weber, Pac, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen turn things around and have big seasons next year. That's a lot of ifs though.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

So what can they do to fix this mess? With 10.5M a year locked up to a goalie that we don't know what's wrong with. Is he on the start of a decline or just a bad year? If he bounces back next year the Habs will certainly be a good bit better even with that crap defense in front of him. But if he is on the down trend then they are ****ed for many years as you just can't have 10.5M wasted.

Problem is I dont see Patches rebounding.

As MB was getting rid of or losing all our PMDs, did he not know that Patches relied on the stretch passes he was being fed by them to score a huge % of his goals ?

As MB wasnt at the least prepared to offer Rads more than the Stars to
try to entice him to stay did he not see that Rads was important to Patches as a set up guy ?

On top of it all, CJ likes a short pass game. Again , not helpful to Patches. Note Patches has grumbled about our system.

So unless next year we have puck moving D with the skill to hit on those bombs ( Jerabek trade and usage shows otherwise ), unless we get another guy like Rads, and unless CJ changes the system for Patches, then I dont see Patches doing any better. In fact with the frustration he clearly shows, it could be worse.

At least with one poor season where everything went south you can brush it off in part to that. Another year like this and Patches value really drops.

Offer to retain, make it a bigger package like adding in Shaw if need be, but get us our young centre back as part of it. But yeah, if it just isnt there then we have to wait until the draft to try again.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
What's a Pacioretty rebound? The guy is so streaky he could score 10 goals in his next 10 games and be right on pace for his usual 30+ goals.

Same old Pacioretty.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I hope Molson has done this with Bergevin. Just let him think he's in charge ...
maggie.jpg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Problem is I dont see Patches rebounding.

As MB was getting rid of or losing all our PMDs, did he not know that Patches relied on the stretch passes he was being fed by them to score a huge % of his goals ?

As MB wasnt at the least prepared to offer Rads more than the Stars to
try to entice him to stay did he not see that Rads was important to Patches as a set up guy ?

On top of it all, CJ likes a short pass game. Again , not helpful to Patches. Note Patches has grumbled about our system.

So unless next year we have puck moving D with the skill to hit on those bombs ( Jerabek trade and usage shows otherwise ), unless we get another guy like Rads, and unless CJ changes the system for Patches, then I dont see Patches doing any better. In fact with the frustration he clearly shows, it could be worse.

At least with one poor season where everything went south you can brush it off in part to that. Another year like this and Patches value really drops.

Offer to retain, make it a bigger package like adding in Shaw if need be, but get us our young centre back as part of it. But yeah, if it just isnt there then we have to wait until the draft to try again.

it's a big gamble and I don't know if he can rebound, but I would be shocked if today's Pac can return a good young center even if we add Shaw and or money. It's such a tough spot for the Habs as you can't lose him for nothing after next year if he doesn't rebound and you can't get a good offer for him.

I don't really see it working out for us and think we f***ed for so many years to come it's sickening but it all depends on Price imo.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
it's a big gamble and I don't know if he can rebound, but I would be shocked if today's Pac can return a good young center even if we add Shaw and or money. It's such a tough spot for the Habs as you can't lose him for nothing after next year if he doesn't rebound and you can't get a good offer for him.

I don't really see it working out for us and think we ****ed for so many years to come it's sickening but it all depends on Price imo.

We wont get an established young C for Patches. Best for me is a prospect with top 6 potential who may be able to step in sooner than later, like a Borgstrom.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What's a Pacioretty rebound? The guy is so streaky he could score 10 goals in his next 10 games and be right on pace for his usual 30+ goals.

Same old Pacioretty.

over the last 4 years he's had an average of 35.25 goals and 65 points. At 16 g and 35 pts in 59 games he's way under that so a rebound next year would look like a 35 g, 65 pt season.

The problem is he looks like shit so I don't see any rebound happening, hence the Habs are f***ed as MB getting a good deal for him is likely going to be very difficult and him rebounding next year for us seems unlikely just as I don't think he would re-sign here so it would be much worse if we lost him for nothing as a UFA. Management has to figure something out, if they screw this up they only asset we can freely trade of any real value would be Galchenyuk and Drouin and no way is MB trading Drouin and admitting he f***ed up that trade to begin with.

Reactions: groovejuice

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We wont get an established young C for Patches. Best for me is a prospect with top 6 potential who may be able to step in sooner than later, like a Borgstrom.

I would be thrilled if they got Borgstrom and say a pick for Pac but I would be shocked if Panthers would do that, he's one hell of a prospect.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Scorched earth rebuild.

It's the only option.

All other options are just people trying to shield their brains away from accepting the reality that we won't be competitive for five years.
Yep!
And that's 5 years drafting in the top 10 with multiple 2nds since it looks like we wont be getting anything of Value for our 2 biggest "super stars" Price and Weber.
It just means more time enjoying entertaining hockey somewhere else.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
over the last 4 years he's had an average of 35.25 goals and 65 points. At 16 g and 35 pts in 59 games he's way under that so a rebound next year would look like a 35 g, 65 pt season.

The problem is he looks like **** so I don't see any rebound happening, hence the Habs are ****ed as MB getting a good deal for him is likely going to be very difficult and him rebounding next year for us seems unlikely just as I don't think he would re-sign here so it would be much worse if we lost him for nothing as a UFA. Management has to figure something out, if they screw this up they only asset we can freely trade of any real value would be Galchenyuk and Drouin and no way is MB trading Drouin and admitting he ****ed up that trade to begin with.

His underlying numbers are still fantastic (possession, shot location, scoring chances, etc.). The major concern, beyond luck, is that he isn't getting his chances off the rush, which is where he's deadliest. Montreal doesn't really have the D to pull that off though, so a correction may not be forthcoming.

But even with the D's complete inability to support the forwards offensively, its a good bet that Patches will rebound. He's still getting and creating his looks in the slot.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

The problem is he looks like **** so I don't see any rebound happening, hence the Habs are ****ed as MB getting a good deal for him is likely going to be very difficult and him rebounding next year for us seems unlikely just as I don't think he would re-sign here so it would be much worse if we lost him for nothing as a UFA. Management has to figure something out, if they screw this up they only asset we can freely trade of any real value would be Galchenyuk and Drouin and no way is MB trading Drouin and admitting he ****ed up that trade to begin with.

Unless Molson is heavily pressed by his partners, this team is going nowhere. Winning a Cup is so far down his alphabetical list, it's right next to a letter that's only sometimes a vowel.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
His underlying numbers are still fantastic (possession, shot location, scoring chances, etc.). The major concern, beyond luck, is that he isn't getting his chances off the rush, which is where he's deadliest. Montreal doesn't really have the D to pull that off though, so a correction may not be forthcoming.

But even with the D's complete inability to support the forwards offensively, its a good bet that Patches will rebound. He's still getting and creating his looks in the slot.

Wow if you've been watching the games I've been watching.
While the underlying stats say one thing the reality is something completely different.

Patch still tries to find the quiet area and is getting chances at putting the puck on or towards the net. His release and velocity are nowhere near his prime and are completely ineffective. His skating is what concerns me I mean has he won a foot race this year?
The D aren't helping I'm sure but where are the rushes even just driving the zone or the net?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
So Weber is out for the reminder of the season and maybe up to 8 months.
Price is out indefinitely with a concussion.
Trade deadline is 4 days.
Where the f*** is Bergevin or Molson?
I think the fans deserve to know what is going on!

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Wow if you've been watching the games I've been watching.
While the underlying stats say one thing the reality is something completely different.

Patch still tries to find the quiet area and is getting chances at putting the puck on or towards the net. His release and velocity are nowhere near his prime and are completely ineffective. His skating is what concerns me I mean has he won a foot race this year?
The D aren't helping I'm sure but where are the rushes even just driving the zone or the net?

1) Every player that doesn't produce looks bad.
2) His release and velocity look the same, he just doesn't have the same space he usually has and goalies have been better set to him.
3) He's never been a fantastic skater.
4) For how many years have people complained about him not driving the net. Its not his game. Its never been his game. It will never be his game.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I would be thrilled if they got Borgstrom and say a pick for Pac but I would be shocked if Panthers would do that, he's one hell of a prospect.
Heck! forget the pick just Borgstrom for Pacioretty and I jump in joy.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
1) Every player that doesn't produce looks bad.
2) His release and velocity look the same, he just doesn't have the same space he usually has and goalies have been better set to him.
3) He's never been a fantastic skater.
4) For how many years have people complained about him not driving the net. Its not his game. Its never been his game. It will never be his game.

Except when he played with Cole...

His skating has been phenomenal when he wants to move his feet.
His shot and his shot selection plain out and out suck this year.
Captain Glide. :laugh:

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Except when he played with Cole...

His skating has been phenomenal when he wants to move his feet.
His shot and his shot selection plain out and out suck this year.
Captain Glide. :laugh:

He's shooting from the slot more than ever in his career. His shot selection has been fine, he hasn't been able to get/create the pre-shot movement he has in years past. And that's on the D-core too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad