Speculation: Bergevin shut down by owner.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
The most under-performing person right-now is Molson. He's the reason we are this bad. If he's not going to do something than he should sell the team to someone who cares.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So if Armstrong, Francis, Cheveldayoff, etc etc. call Bergevin and offer a package of a Center prospect, 1st and a young player/prospect, Bergevin will tell the other GM that he can’t make that deal? Makes no sense and would be an even worse decision by Molson.

This “rumor” is more wild speculation on behalf of a guy who has been wrong countless times about things he’s sworn up and down to be a fact only to have it not come true.

I give this rumor 4 out of 5 Ek’s.

I agree
I'm not thrilled with Bergevin and would open a change but this week is not the time.

Bergevin has actually had success at trade deadlines and has never really sold assets/young players low before (PK was more off ice politics than anything).

So I don't even feel too worried about Bergevin messing up this week - I think he might do a good job too.

Reactions: shutehinside

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I hope it's not

Fire Bergevin? Ok great. Not 3 days before the trade deadline tho.
Timing is stupid.
I don't think anyone want him fired now, he should have been fired last year or the year before. Bottom line is he needs to go.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think anyone want him fired now, he should have been fired last year or the year before. Bottom line is he needs to go.

I personally hope he blows it out of the water at the trade deadline enough so to be given the chance to also blow it out of the water at draft/free agency.

I still somehow believe he has it in him to be a very competent gm. In some cases the line between failure and success is so slim and sometimes luck is a big part of it. I'm not going to start defending him but I believe that it wouldn't be too shocking to me if he manages to turn public opinion of him around in the next few months with some success.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I personally hope he blows it out of the water at the trade deadline enough so to be given the chance to also blow it out of the water at draft/free agency.

I still somehow believe he has it in him to be a very competent gm. In some cases the line between failure and success is so slim and sometimes luck is a big part of it. I'm not going to start defending him but I believe that it wouldn't be too shocking to me if he manages to turn public opinion of him around in the next few months with some success.
He's a very competent assistant GM, I'm sure of this but very competent GM? No, sir.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island

Maybe he does, as they say you learn from your mistakes and he's made quite a few. I just don't want him to continue "learning on the job" with this organization and I'm also not convinced he'll ever be a good GM (see Milbury).

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

*sigh*

''I think he's a really good GM. He just hasn't decided to be good yet.''

Reactions: OldCraig71

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This is a GM that knew we couldn't score last year, just last year, and he added King, Martinsen, Davidson, Ott............should he be trusted this year, to do something good that can at least have us look forward to the draft, and then October?
Not a chance guys............he should be neutered asap

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
People saying that Laraque is not reliable are clueless, Laraque is THE most reliable person out there, he called many shots in advance that were true. With his history of past calls, he is obviously very well connected and has good sources.

I listened to his quote live yesterday and I listened to it again today, he said: "I got the information that Pacioretty is not going anywhere and that Bergevin is possibly handcuffed (not allowed to do major deals). Don't expect major transactions by the deadline but only minor transactions like Jerabek"

Reactions: hvac412

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
He was wrong when called for Radulov having signed a 3-year extension with the Habs. On June 18, 2017, he said this:
«Radulov y aurait une entente de 3 ans qui serait faite» —Georges Laraque

LINK: RadioEGO.com - «Radulov y aurait une entente de 3 ans qui serait faite» —Georges Laraque

lol he didnt called that at all, he said quote on quote "there's rumor out there that Radulov is about to sign a 3 year deal"

When Laraque called shots in the past, he never used the word "rumor", he's telling the info's out of sources he's in contact with, exemple Pat Brisson with the Pacio quote yesterday.

In February 2016 Laraque said "The Habs will make a move in the summer that will change the face of the franchise". He knew well in advance that Subban was going to be trade, the guy is very well connected, whether it's with players like Subban or GM's or agents.

Reactions: OldCraig71

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
lol he didnt called that at all, he said quote on quote "there's rumor out there that Radulov is about to sign a 3 year deal"

When Laraque called shots in the past, he never used the word "rumor", he's telling the info's out of sources he's in contact with, exemple Pat Brisson with the Pacio quote yesterday.

In February 2016 Laraque said "The Habs will make a move in the summer that will change the face of the franchise". He knew well in advance that Subban was going to be trade, the guy is very well connected, whether it's with players like Subban or GM's or agents.
i fully agree with you. There is rumors that involve speculation on his behalf, but this one in particular comes through contacts we know he has . This is something that does not involve another team where he might have it wrong, it is an internal stuff and those contacts he has

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
200w.webp

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

In 2016 - one of the worst in-season collapses in NHL (Sports?) History - someone called for major changes in the off season?

Come on lol.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
What a bloody mess.

Right now is the premium time to be trying to trade Patches and of course to move Plekanec as he is a UFA.

Do I trust MB to make these moves? Plekanec I think so. Patches no.

When I hear MB tried to sign Bonino in the summer I wonder what this guy is thinking. Bonino is a 3C. Why would MB think it would be okay to sign a 3C to a long term big money deal ?

When I hear MB is not interested in trading Shaw, I think this guy has learned nothing and still over values these types of players, and does not prioritize talent and skill.

So if MB is at the helm , does he trade Patches or Chucky to het us a C . I have joked about him trading for a barely 2C, more like 3C Brassard , but that is the type of trade within the realm of possibility with MB. The kind that basically might help us squeek into the play offs but that is it.

Could he actually pull off a good trade ? Yes.

But if MB goes the wrong way we basically are screwed for the next few years. Right decision and we could be making noise again in a couple of years.

I would rather have a GM who knows he has a 5 year window to make good, such that he gears trades to that end.

Its never a good time to make a bad trade and I dont trust that MB wont do something short sighted. Its too bad, as now is the time to strike.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I guess we'll find out soon enough whether or not there is any validity to this. If true then Chucky is probably going something like this:eek:. At this point he'd probably rather be elsewhere. And I wouldn't be surprised if MB really got fleeced in sending another Hab to a playoff team.

On the surface the Jerabek trade is minor but it is pretty critical when an organization keeps peddling away youngish d-men. If Chuck is doing the above then Mete is probably :huh:.

Reactions: Forum93

Ricck

Sep 28, 2017
People saying that Laraque is not reliable are clueless, Laraque is THE most reliable person out there, he called many shots in advance that were true. With his history of past calls, he is obviously very well connected and has good sources.

I listened to his quote live yesterday and I listened to it again today, he said: "I got the information that Pacioretty is not going anywhere and that Bergevin is possibly handcuffed (not allowed to do major deals). Don't expect major transactions by the deadline but only minor transactions like Jerabek"

please list all the things he called.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
I would not be surprised if the rumour that MB is handcuffed was started by MB himself. I wouldn’t put it past him. At the very least he needs to swallow his pride and clear out the deadwood this TDL. He won’t.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
If there was a problem
I can't solve it
Playstation's broken and Molson absolves it.

Marc Marc baby

They could easily buy another PlayStation. Problem is you can buy a new one for a couple hundred bucks at a WalMart and Bergevin keeps trying to convince Molson to buy a broken one from a homeless man in the parking lot for a couple thousand.

Reactions: Hardworker33

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I can totally understand Molson being fed up. But saying that it was trading Jerebek that broke the camels back is hilarious!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: David Suzuki

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I agree
I'm not thrilled with Bergevin and would open a change but this week is not the time.

Bergevin has actually had success at trade deadlines and has never really sold assets/young players low before (PK was more off ice politics than anything).

So I don't even feel too worried about Bergevin messing up this week - I think he might do a good job too.

If a GM makes blockbuster trades due to politics rather than hockey, it's a reason to be extremely concerned. That was his biggest trade and he did sell low. The team is demonstrably worse than 2 seasons ago and continues that trend today.

It boggles the mind that people can be so cavalier about Bergevin continuing to make trades that are likely at best, useless, and quite possibly destructive.

We do know by observation that Bergevin's pro-scouting is abysmal and it appears there's no one in his circle of advisors that are more than enabling head nodders. There's no reason to assume there are calmer heads to prevail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad