Rumor: "Bereglazov to continue career with Rangers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
This would be a GREAT signing. Really hope it gets official in 10 days.

A free, young defenseman that should be able to play in a bottom pair role next season for a low cap hit...yes please.

edit - Oh and that size..6'4, 205lbs.

wait.

hes a lefty.

hes russian

hes young

and his skating isnt nearly where it needs to be to play the AV run and gun style. none of that screams 3rd pair next fall to me.

what about ryan graves ?

it is VERY difficult for a rookie to start his career as a 3rd pair everyday player. i mean like rarely happens.

to expect this kid to make the team out of camp is pie in the sky stuff. hell be in hartford for sure to start and may earn a cup of joe mid season. and thats fine.

ryan graves is next man up imo and this young russian is his replacement in hartford.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This nonsense about righties vs lefties is really making me question if some watch the sport. Why is this a continued topic?

Agreed, there is like one player in the entire league that seemingly can play as well on the off side as his natural side and that's Hjalmarsson. A leftie is a LD and a righty is a RD. Sure you can play a guy on the off side, but he will only be effective sporadically at best and handicapped in so many other situations.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... Clendening, while I like him, will not be back next year. AV doesn't like him, and unless he is canned, I doubt Clendening even wants to be back with how he was treated ...

i dont buy this Clendening was mistreated this season argument, despite his one instance of public whining

he set career highs in GP, G and Pts
he doesnt like that he's been a part time player, but 5 NHL coaches have used him similarly

If Clendening is QO'd, the only option under his control is overseas
But i think it likely that he is either QO'd, or/and traded for a similar promising young player, probably a similar age/experience RFA

darko

Feb 16, 2009
In before AV is clueless and is screwing up kid's development. Fire AV.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Offdacrossbar- I've seen plenty of him, he could definitely play right away as a LD for us.

He moves very well. Awesome reach. Poised under pressure. A smart player AV would appreciate. Sure there are some adjustments to be made physically and to the smaller ice. But his presence and reach is top notch. He is strong under heavy pressure. He is 22 y/o, but have played like 40 PO games in the KHL, and even if the KHL isn't the NHL the KHL POs and later rounds are definitely pretty good.

Like Zaitsev would have been a perfect fit for us in terms of position. Bereglazov isn't. He is like an Anisimov at D. A Russian Marc Staal. But he is a very good prospect. I would compare him to guys like Staal, Anisimov, Hayes and co. Would be a great signing.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
clendo got a raw deal from av

he yapped though and thats dumb

he played well when he played and was productive with some big goals.

i think he was good on the pp and adequate elsewhere.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Offdacrossbar- I've seen plenty of him, he could definitely play right away as a LD for us.

He moves very well. Awesome reach. Poised under pressure. A smart player AV would appreciate. Sure there are some adjustments to be made physically and to the smaller ice. But his presence and reach is top notch. He is strong under heavy pressure. He is 22 y/o, but have played like 40 PO games in the KHL, and even if the KHL isn't the NHL the KHL POs and later rounds are definitely pretty good.

Like Zaitsev would have been a perfect fit for us in terms of position. Bereglazov isn't. He is like an Anisimov at D. A Russian Marc Staal. But he is a very good prospect. I would compare him to guys like Staal, Anisimov, Hayes and co. Would be a great signing.

noted and mostly agree.

im not sure of him earning a spot in the top 6 out of camp. thats a big time stretch.

for a 22 yr old rookie, with no ahl experience, from russia to come here and start would be very unusual and even more so at defense. forward, perhaps yes. at defense ?? not so sure.

his skill set is fine, its the skating that has me concerned along with the above.

why not ryan graves ?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
i dont buy this Clendening was mistreated this season argument, despite his one instance of public whining

he set career highs in GP, G and Pts
he doesnt like that he's been a part time player, but 5 NHL coaches have used him similarly

If Clendening is QO'd, the only option under his control is overseas
But i think it likely that he is either QO'd, or/and traded for a similar promising young player, probably a similar age/experience RFA
Under like $1.2 million there's no compensation for RFAs, so he has options besides overseas

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
clendo got a raw deal from av

he yapped though and thats dumb

he played well when he played and was productive with some big goals.

i think he was good on the pp and adequate elsewhere.

Fans said the same about McIlrath, who has cleared waivers and been in the AHL while contracted to 3 different teams in 1 season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Any scouting report on him

Think like of an Anisimov at D. Very well schooled but nothing spectacular offensively. Active and smart. Joins the attack when he can. And he is really big, listings are always a bit fishy but he is the type that it wouldn't surprise you at all if he was listed at 6'5 or even 6'6. When he defends he has that presence that these Ds can have defensively were it seems like forwards have to skate a mile around him to even get close to beating him wide.

He isn't rattled. SKA pwned Magnitogorsk in the POs for example, and Bereglazov is basically MMs top D 5 on 5 and on the PK. But they could hammer away really hard on him finishing every check and stuff like that and it didn't really get to Bereglazov who just got out there and held the forth defensively and was heads up and poised with the puck. The KHL isn't the NHL, but the KHL finals are definitely good. Like high NHL regular season level. The kid actually has a lot of experience. 200 games in the KHL, 160 regular season games and 40 in the POs. Does he have one or two Gagarin Cups? He won last year and lost in the finals this year, IIRC.

Bereglazov will probably play for Russia in the WCHs. Have anyone seen any preliminary rosters? They should come out soon if they haven't already.

I think Bereglazov is signed to play. There are no promises, but he is Hayes/Vesey level for sure (albeit European). Don't think we get him if we ask him to play a couple of years in the AHL before we clear our LD logjam first. Staal done? Skjei for Trouba?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Agreed, there is like one player in the entire league that seemingly can play as well on the off side as his natural side and that's Hjalmarsson. A leftie is a LD and a righty is a RD. Sure you can play a guy on the off side, but he will only be effective sporadically at best and handicapped in so many other situations.

No, I mean the exact opposite.

The whining about the handedness of a player is the dumbest thing I see on the board right now. This is all new as well. There are plenty of players that can play their off side. Now, if you are building the IDEAL team, you are going to try and address that if you can. However, this is just not something overly analyzed by a club. Particularly in a cap world where such things are more considered to be superfluous rather than a necessity.

I've even now seen some suggest that we won't sign prospects who are not right handed or left handed, depending. It's bash-my-head-into-a-wall silly.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
OffDa- Fair points. There is always an uncertainty with European players going to NA as regards how long it will take for them to adjust. I can be wrong for sure, but to be honest my bet is that he would be close to top 4 than outside the top 6.

I think Tim Erixon made it right out of Camp -- and Bereglazov is like 150% of him in terms of readyness! ;)

But he needs an opening. A kid would have to be pretty remarkable to like beat out a healthy Marc Staal...

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Smith is better on the right than the left so far as a Ranger. Not that he's spent much time on the left here. The only thing that matters is what a player trained as, not what his handedness is.

Nothing bad about this move at all. As always, expectations in check.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Smith is better on the right than the left so far as a Ranger. Not that he's spent much time on the left here. The only thing that matters is what a player trained as, not what his handedness is.

Nothing bad about this move at all. As always, expectations in check.

Which is why the arguments about handedness lately are so ridiculous.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Which is why the arguments about handedness lately are so ridiculous.

Even beyond that, I think the focus on handedness has pervaded the coaching staffs around the game. So because there are more lefties that play hockey than righties (misnomers, btw), there's now a dearth of competent RDs out there.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
No, I mean the exact opposite.

The whining about the handedness of a player is the dumbest thing I see on the board right now. This is all new as well. There are plenty of players that can play their off side. Now, if you are building the IDEAL team, you are going to try and address that if you can. However, this is just not something overly analyzed by a club. Particularly in a cap world where such things are more considered to be superfluous rather than a necessity.

I've even now seen some suggest that we won't sign prospects who are not right handed or left handed, depending. It's bash-my-head-into-a-wall silly.

Agreed, it's to the point where the moron coach gives players unwarranted ice time due to it.

It hasn't helped us obviously, why bother clamoring for it?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Even beyond that, I think the focus on handedness has pervaded the coaching staffs around the game. So because there are more lefties that play hockey than righties (misnomers, btw), there's now a dearth of competent RDs out there.

There are advantages and disadvantages.

Recovering pucks along the boards is more difficult because it's on your backhand. Conversely, your shot from the point is less likely to be at an extreme angle. I always played the right side despite being left handed - it makes the attacker have an easier path on the outside than down the middle and makes clears easier up the middle than along the boards. I don't think it's a disadvantage at all if you have experience playing on your "off" side.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Yep. It's cringeworthy. Completely flawed and stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad