Rumor: Benning: Canucks are going to be aggressive in the trade front

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Vancouver: 9OA + 2021 2ND + 2022 2ND + Holtby + Eriksson
Buffalo: Reinhart + 6th

Clears up Holtby and Eriksson money for Reinhart, Hughes, and Petterson. Buffalo gets a decent goalie in Holtby for a season of rebuild. Buffalo buys out Eriksson's last year. Gets 9OA for Reinhart, and 2 2nds to take Holtby and Eriksson.

I will also add, that I for the better part, have zero clue what I am talking about.
Very bad for Buffalo.

Reactions: razor ray

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
A first and two seconds for a Good 2C needing a RFA contract after a career year (goals).
That seems not fair.
Eriksson / Holtby only have a year left and Buffalo arnt going to be contenders...... its not a huge negative for them to take those two contracts.

9th overall and a third is what i'd offer max. If he was signed to a good contract, diff story but RFA ...cmon... he's going to want 6.5MM or some crazy sheeit like tha t
How would you feel about:
Bo Horvat for
Kyle Okposo, Bos 2nd round pick 2021, buffalo 2nd 2022, C Miller and the 9th overall (didn't find an equal piece here)

The second rounders barely pays for the cap dumps so it's essentially Reinhart/Horvat for the 9th overall pick.

Reactions: razor ray

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Bo Horvat for
Kyle Okposo, Bos 2nd round pick 2021, buffalo 2nd 2022, C Miller and the 9th overall (didn't find an equal piece here)

The second rounders barely pays for the cap dumps so it's essentially Reinhart/Horvat for the 9th overall pick.

Firstly Horvat> Reinhart due to the fact he is a solid 2 way C where Reinhart is more of a RW.

Second: Okposo has 2 years at 6m vs LE with 1yr, so that 2nd year makes a huge difference.

Third: Canucks shouldn't be trading a top 10 pick for a RW, they need to get Hughes a younger RHD partner. That is far more concern than adding another RW.

Fourth: Considering JB could've just signed and kept Toffoli last off season to solidify our top 6 RW, it would just go to show how INcompetent of a GM Benning is if he goes and wastes a top 10 pick to go get another RW after giving up a prospect and a 2nd for 1 at the TDL in Toffoli, who made it very clear he wanted to stay in Van, but JB had OEL on his mind sadly instead...

Reactions: gianni

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Firstly Horvat> Reinhart due to the fact he is a solid 2 way C where Reinhart is more of a RW.

Second: Okposo has 2 years at 6m vs LE with 1yr, so that 2nd year makes a huge difference.

Third: Canucks shouldn't be trading a top 10 pick for a RW, they need to get Hughes a younger RHD partner. That is far more concern than adding another RW.

Fourth: Considering JB could've just signed and kept Toffoli last off season to solidify our top 6 RW, it would just go to show how INcompetent of a GM Benning is if he goes and wastes a top 10 pick to go get another RW after giving up a prospect and a 2nd for 1 at the TDL in Toffoli, who made it very clear he wanted to stay in Van, but JB had OEL on his mind sadly instead...
Reinhart should play C from now on. We just had idiot coaches year after year...

Not saying Reinhart is the best option for you guys but the price should be around what we payed for Ryan O'Reilly (not what we got back for him...)

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Benning should be slapped hard if the Canuck's 1st rounder this year is in play for anything short of a young top pairing D who can actually play top tier defence. There are also 10 other teams in the league desperate for the same thing so I don't see that happening.

Reinhart is a good player, but broaches in on diminishing returns. There is only so much cap and ice time for these player types.

I'd rather Benning spend his energy finding a 3C suited to play effective hard minutes, and find a way to rebalance those D pairings. You have 4 guys who play best when they have someone covering their risks (Hughes, Schmidt, Rathbone, Myers), and 1 of those guys in Myers who absolutely biffs it when he isnt paired with anyone not a elite defensive stalwart (I don't even know if the latter is even true, I've only seen biffing on the Canucks). Gotta make a decision to find a LD to shelter him or get rid of him (how?)...

A single top defensive D would at least allow another one of your offensive dmen to play offense again without the team bleeding goals.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Benning should be slapped hard if the Canuck's 1st rounder this year is in play for anything short of a young top pairing D who can actually play top tier defence. There are also 10 other teams in the league desperate for the same thing so I don't see that happening.

Reinhart is a good player, but broaches in on diminishing returns. There is only so much cap and ice time for these player types.

I'd rather Benning spend his energy finding a 3C suited to play effective hard minutes, and find a way to rebalance those D pairings. You have 4 guys who play best when they have someone covering their risks (Hughes, Schmidt, Rathbone, Myers), and 1 of those guys in Myers who absolutely biffs it when he isnt paired with anyone not a elite defensive stalwart (I don't even know if the latter is even true, I've only seen biffing on the Canucks). Gotta make a decision to find a LD to shelter him or get rid of him (how?)...

A single top defensive D would at least allow another one of your offensive dmen to play offense again without the team bleeding goals.

this. if the 9th pick is in play, thats because all of Hughes/Power/Clarke....I may even say Edvinsson is out of play. There is no other way to acquire a top D without sacrificing a piece of your rebuild. The glaring hole in the back has to be addressed, and the 9th pick is as good a bullet in the chamber he has without pushing his rebuild backwards significantly.

Factoring the urgency facing Benning to show immediate progress, Jones make sense, but a target like M.Anderson, Dobson, Cernak, Pelech, Skjei, H.Lindholm or Parayko is what is missing in his team. These pieces are unattainable unless a top 10 pick is on the table. If he squanders it on a top 6 winger.... I dont know what else he has in his arsenal to get other GMs to entertain picking up his call. That is why its so stupid to retain the guy, he telegraphs everything he wants, and plants himself at the mercy of his counterparts. Lets see what the OBC will do to help out poor lil Jim this time.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Bo Horvat for

Different situations. Canucks are gearing up to compete in the next couple of years. Buffalo is gearing up for a burn everything down rebuild because all of their players want out.

Reactions: gianni

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Jakub vrana for the 9th overall pick straight up. Potentially add in cholowski/Lindstrom.

I don’t like the idea of trading the 9 OA for a 25 year old winger, even if they are talented. I’d rather draft a center or defenseman.

We should be able to snag a winger in free agency for a decent price tag if we elect this is something we need to allocate funds towards.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
No thanks, This is why rebuilding teams keep rebuilding, because they trade good players for futures that are 3 to 4 years away.

good chance vrana isn’t apart of our rebuild what so ever so, it all depends what Stevie Y thinks. Btw the rebuild officially started when Steve took over, so it’s only been two year into our new build.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If the Canucks move their first, it should be to move down in the draft, pick up a second 1st-rounder or a NHL-ready young player on ELC/cost-controlled contract from an organization with a lot of young glut.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
good chance vrana isn’t apart of our rebuild what so ever so, it all depends what Stevie Y thinks. Btw the rebuild officially started when Steve took over, so it’s only been two year into our new build.
Vrana is basically the same age as Larkin, He turned 25 in February and Larkin turns 25 at the end of July. I'm pretty sure Vrana is part of our long term rebuild. even Yzerman suggested he'd be around for at least 4 to 5 more seasons.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Because it says a lot.

I'm not American nor do I support Trump. I think most are happy he's out of office; That being said, it says more about YOU to pass judgment on someone based on their political alignment - it really doesn't and shouldn't matter, especially when discussing hockey.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
It’s really hard to justify giving up premium assets/picks for a winger. We should’ve just kept Toffoli vs now chasing a similar caliber player. Angers me! But anyways, I agree with many who have posted here… get a legit top 4 D. That should be the main focus.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Reinhart should play C from now on. We just had idiot coaches year after year...

Not saying Reinhart is the best option for you guys but the price should be around what we payed for Ryan O'Reilly (not what we got back for him...)
I saw that Reinhart had a successful stint at center this past season-- but given Canucks have their top two centers cemented Reinhart's value to the Canucks is more of a winger. I think another team that needs a center (like Minnesota) would find Reinhart more attractive as a result.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Jakub vrana for the 9th overall pick straight up. Potentially add in cholowski/Lindstrom.
Canucks need a solid defensive defensemen to help the panicky offensive defensemen--- Like a Tanev. If you've got that then Canucks maybe more interested rather than Vrana (who could be worth the pick in a different situation). If not by trade I see the Canucks trying to retain Hamonic or going after Larsson.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Bo Horvat for

Thats not fair comparison.
Sam wants out. He literally said that. Hes a ufa nxt year. BO WANTS to be in Van.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Bo Horvat for

Horvat is twice the player that Reinhart is. You forgot to account for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad