Rumor: Benning: Canucks are going to be aggressive in the trade front

Feb 19, 2018
Marc Staal made 4.2m and Detroit only got a 2nd for him and he had a similar cap hit. Canucks need to move that useless mophead and his 6m cap hit to a team, if its a 2nd or a prospect and a mid to later pick then you do it. Can't believe JB is still the GM after all his f*** ups, especially wasting all that time on OEL and Barrie then last minute asking Toffoli and Tanev to listen to an offer after weeks of crickets...

Canucks are run like shit and the proof is in the pudding, look at our prospect depth(none!) we need help everywhere and have no cap space to take advantage of the flat cap or the expansion draft...it is a shame, but still better than being a Laff fan or watching McRegularSeason fail 1st round
Prospect depth? Are you kidding me? Top 3 core under 25 in the league. That’s due to Prospects just graduating.

Feb 19, 2018
Probably in prefered order for me would be Cirelli, Reinhart, Jones, Dumba. I'm not entirely sure how Jones would fit into the Canucks locker room culture. Reinhart I could see resigning with the Canucks, Cirelli would be a perfect fit down the middle
Tons of Americans on the Canucks. He would fit in amazing and resign knowing Hughes will be his partner going forward. He should hands down be the #1 offseason target. Guy played over 60 mins in one game before. Absolute horse.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Probably in prefered order for me would be Cirelli, Reinhart, Jones, Dumba. I'm not entirely sure how Jones would fit into the Canucks locker room culture. Reinhart I could see resigning with the Canucks, Cirelli would be a perfect fit down the middle

From the Canucks' perspective, what does a Dumba trade look like? He has 2 years with a 6M salary left on his contract.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Wait till July 1st 2022.

Possible UFA D include:

Jones rhd
Manson rhd
Parayko rhd
Rielly lhd
Letang rhd
Subban rhd
Nurse lhd
Lindholm lhd
Ristolainen rhd
Pulock rhd
Murphy rhd

Lots of options to maybe sign or look to trade for this off season before the expansion draft. But unless they come cheap just hold on to what little picks and prospects we have and wait till next off season to be aggressive imo

The more one looks at the Canucks situation—the more one realizes that the right thing for the team to do is wait until the 2022 off-season to make any major changes. Consider the following:
  • They are returning to the Pacific division next year, where the only guaranteed playoff teams are Vegas and Edmonton.
  • They will have a healthy Pettersson next year, and an upgrade on their depth with Podkolzin and Rathbone playing full seasons.
  • They are better off not buying-out any players this off-season so they can maximize their cap-space in 2022.
  • They are better off not trading away 1st/2nd round draft picks as they will need more players on ELCs so they can have affordable impact players during their 2023-2027 competitive window.
  • They are better off not trading mid-to-late round picks as they will need that draft capital at future trade deadlines.
  • That means in 2021 simply burying the likes of Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, and Holtby—or retaining salary to trade them away. Take your medicine in 2021 and gear up for 2022.
They could have an ultra conservative off-season, re-sign Sutter/Hamonic/Edler to one year deals, and likely be a Pacific playoff contender. Maybe seek one more top-nine forward on a one-year show-me deal (eg like the STL Hoffman deal) so they can slide Miller to 3C.

Keeping it cool in 2021 would allow them to re-sign their core and give them over $20mm in cap space in the 2022 off-season. They could use that to go after a proper RD1 or even aggressively pursue a player like Barkov if he makes it to UFA. Next year gives them the opportunity to make a transformational move. This year only offers half-measures that could tie their hands further for years to come.

umad

Mar 23, 2012
Milky Way
Tons of Americans on the Canucks. He would fit in amazing and resign knowing Hughes will be his partner going forward. He should hands down be the #1 offseason target. Guy played over 60 mins in one game before. Absolute horse.
I doubt Jones would like Vancouver. The city (and probably the team as well) is way too liberal for him à la Torts considering he was/is full-on MAGA.

Reactions: elitepete

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Big no on trading for Jones.

Big no on trading any 1sts no matter what year.

Need to create some cap first.

Then look at teams that have ED dilemmas and try and get pieces for relatively cheap.

Not the time to go crazy when Bottom 6 is a shambles, defence is weak to say the least and no notable prospects willing to part with.

Like most teams, Top 6-9 F, 3 C and help on d.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
The more one looks at the Canucks situation—the more one realizes that the right thing for the team to do is wait until the 2022 off-season to make any major changes. Consider the following:
  • They are returning to the Pacific division next year, where the only guaranteed playoff teams are Vegas and Edmonton.
  • They will have a healthy Pettersson next year, and an upgrade on their depth with Podkolzin and Rathbone playing full seasons.
  • They are better off not buying-out any players this off-season so they can maximize their cap-space in 2022.
  • They are better off not trading away 1st/2nd round draft picks as they will need more players on ELCs so they can have affordable impact players during their 2023-2027 competitive window.
  • They are better off not trading mid-to-late round picks as they will need that draft capital at future trade deadlines.
  • That means in 2021 simply burying the likes of Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, and Holtby—or retaining salary to trade them away. Take your medicine in 2021 and gear up for 2022.
They could have an ultra conservative off-season, re-sign Sutter/Hamonic/Edler to one year deals, and likely be a Pacific playoff contender. Maybe seek one more top-nine forward on a one-year show-me deal (eg like the STL Hoffman deal) so they can slide Miller to 3C.

Keeping it cool in 2021 would allow them to re-sign their core and give them over $20mm in cap space in the 2022 off-season. They could use that to go after a proper RD1 or even aggressively pursue a player like Barkov if he makes it to UFA. Next year gives them the opportunity to make a transformational move. This year only offers half-measures that could tie their hands further for years to come.
yeah we get that,,the problem is Benning is under pressure to make the playoffs now,,so he is likely going to make panic moves that boggle our minds here.he can't wait.your points are very good ones tho.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Prospect depth? Are you kidding me? Top 3 core under 25 in the league. That’s due to Prospects just graduating.

Yet still a shit show and couldn't even make the playoffs in a weak ass canadian division. People can all shut the f*** up about the bubble too, we didn't make the playoffs we got gifted a limp in match up against an aging Minnesota team. Otherwise it would have been another year of no playoffs, Covid gave them the bubble opportuntity. If it would have been more of a play in like the NBA I don't think the Canucks would have won to make it into the final 16 in a more proper fashion

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
From the Canucks' perspective, what does a Dumba trade look like? He has 2 years with a 6M salary left on his contract.

Not much, undersized for how he plays gonna be an injury prone player down the road. Canucks have too many meh D who make 6m currently. If the Kraken take Meyers I would be okay replacing him with Dumba but not adding Dumba to Schmidt 5.9m and Meyers 6m, Hughes _m and maybe even Elder _m

Feb 19, 2018
I find it hilarious that everyone on the Planet that cheers for the Canucks have been asking for a top pair RHD who can play the Power Play or Shutdown role. Now that one is available we should just pass up on the opportunity? People do realize he is probably a top 10 RHD in the league right? In my personal top 5 and I thought it was a pipe dream he would ever become available.

between him and Hughes you have two franchise Dmen in each position. You go all out for that. If you could send J.T Miller or Schmidt as part of the package you pull the trigger and worry about salary after. I’d personally try Brock and a second or Brock with a slight add.

signed

Seth Jones

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I find it hilarious that everyone on the Planet that cheers for the Canucks have been asking for a top pair RHD who can play the Power Play or Shutdown role. Now that one is available we should just pass up on the opportunity? People do realize he is probably a top 10 RHD in the league right? In my personal top 5 and I thought it was a pipe dream he would ever become available.

between him and Hughes you have two franchise Dmen in each position. You go all out for that. If you could send J.T Miller or Schmidt as part of the package you pull the trigger and worry about salary after. I’d personally try Brock and a second or Brock with a slight add.

signed

Seth Jones
He’s not a franchise d man, not even close. His play has dipped the last couple years, and he was overrated to begin with.

Your proposal sucks.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not much, undersized for how he plays gonna be an injury prone player down the road. Canucks have too many meh D who make 6m currently. If the Kraken take Meyers I would be okay replacing him with Dumba but not adding Dumba to Schmidt 5.9m and Meyers 6m, Hughes _m and maybe even Elder _m

He's not really undersized for the game he plays. I'm not even sure what you're trying to say with that. He's never been an injury prone player, his only real injury was a freak injury in a fight.

But let's pretend Seattle takes Myers, or Benning frees up cap another way and wants Dumba (there has been interest from Vancouver in the past), what could a deal look like?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Marc Staal made 4.2m and Detroit only got a 2nd for him and he had a similar cap hit. Canucks need to move that useless mophead and his 6m cap hit to a team, if its a 2nd or a prospect and a mid to later pick then you do it. Can't believe JB is still the GM after all his f*** ups, especially wasting all that time on OEL and Barrie then last minute asking Toffoli and Tanev to listen to an offer after weeks of crickets...

Canucks are run like shit and the proof is in the pudding, look at our prospect depth(none!) we need help everywhere and have no cap space to take advantage of the flat cap or the expansion draft...it is a shame, but still better than being a Laff fan or watching McRegularSeason fail 1st round
Detroit wanted a veteran LHD and Staal fit the bill, the 2nd was a sweetener for huge contract that didn’t remotely match his market value. Staal played all 56 games was 3rd in Average TOI (18:25) among Red Wing defensemen.

Eriksson is not a functional NHL player and would get buried in the AHL while wasting of a contract spot as well as millions of dollars and cap space. That’s a tougher sell. I don’t see Vancouver wanting to give up a 1st either but the prospect would have to actually pretty damn good if it’s a 2nd.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
Blues need young physical winger like Jake, they are losing Bozak, Schwartz, Hoffman, they have plenty of LHD like Dunn, I would be shocked if it didn't happen bc it really makes sense
You sure they are losing Bozak? Schwartz probably, yes. Hoffman, even more likely. Interesting insight though.

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
I doubt Jones would like Vancouver. The city (and probably the team as well) is way too liberal for him à la Torts considering he was/is full-on MAGA.

This kind of thing confuses me. Why does a city have to align with one's political beliefs in order for one to enjoy living there?

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

sure, with next to nobody else coming soon on ELC after Pod I would say our prospect depth is weak with our top 3 core as you would say all needing new deals, followed by Boeser, rathbone next year. Horvat, Miller and Hoglander in 2 years time.

So ya the need more more near NHL ready prospects who can make an impact in the NHL during their ELC is a big need in the next 3 years and who do we have left Dipietro/Lind/Gadj/Pod that is it. All are not going to make or still be here considering we have other moves to make like moving out crappy contracts or just trades in general. GM JB isn't going to care about 3 years from now he is going to care about next year and his job security

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Only thing I would do or can think of is for a similar contract. Myers or Schmidt, neither of which is what Minny probably wants as a return

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Vancouver: 9OA + 2021 2ND + 2022 2ND + Holtby + Eriksson
Buffalo: Reinhart + 6th

Clears up Holtby and Eriksson money for Reinhart, Hughes, and Petterson. Buffalo gets a decent goalie in Holtby for a season of rebuild. Buffalo buys out Eriksson's last year. Gets 9OA for Reinhart, and 2 2nds to take Holtby and Eriksson.

I will also add, that I for the better part, have zero clue what I am talking about.

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
Vancouver: 9OA + 2021 2ND + 2022 2ND + Holtby + Eriksson
Buffalo: Reinhart + 6th

Clears up Holtby and Eriksson money for Reinhart, Hughes, and Petterson. Buffalo gets a decent goalie in Holtby for a season of rebuild. Buffalo buys out Eriksson's last year. Gets 9OA for Reinhart, and 2 2nds to take Holtby and Eriksson.

I will also add, that I for the better part, have zero clue what I am talking about.

Seems to me that you at least made an effort to see how a hypothetical trade helps both teams, which alone easily puts you above 95% of the trade proposals that have been made on this site in the past two decades.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
A first and two seconds for a Good 2C needing a RFA contract after a career year (goals).
That seems not fair.
Eriksson / Holtby only have a year left and Buffalo arnt going to be contenders...... its not a huge negative for them to take those two contracts.

9th overall and a third is what i'd offer max. If he was signed to a good contract, diff story but RFA ...cmon... he's going to want 6.5MM or some crazy sheeit like tha t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad