Belleville AHL

JV11

Mar 18, 2014
Very happy for Belleville folks, but I wonder what prompted the turnaround since the city didn't want to do anything for the Bulls.

The City of Belleville invested heavy in the Quinte Sports and wellness centre which is attached to the Yardmen Arena. The Plan was to invest in the Yardmen arena in 2017-18. The OHL know of the plan. The Problem is city of 50,000 people can’t just dump 20 million dollars into an arena it takes time now that the QSWC and other projects are finished and funded they could worry about the Yardmen.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
The City of Belleville invested heavy in the Quinte Sports and wellness centre which is attached to the Yardmen Arena. The Plan was to invest in the Yardmen arena in 2017-18. The OHL know of the plan. The Problem is city of 50,000 people can’t just dump 20 million dollars into an arena it takes time now that the QSWC and other projects are finished and funded they could worry about the Yardmen.

Wow, I didn't know there were plans to upgrade. My understanding was that the city responded to an upgrade request with a solid "no", which made the move all but a done deal.

BSensFan72

Sep 4, 2012
Further to the renovations for the Yardmen for OHL . It takes 2 sides in agreement to work together . The previous owners knew when the city was going to be able to do renos which was 2017 ... They were willing to do some ahead of that if the owners were willing to commit to a long term lease ( with out of town owners the city knew without a long term commitment from the owners they were not willing to commit the money for the Reno for them to walk like they did) The owners were not willing to commit which everyone knew when they bought the team they didn't want it here? So to with the Owners not willing to commit long term that made the city's decision on renos pretty easy

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
From what i hear weeks ago, the Ottawa Senators want to eventually have their farm team located in or around the city of Ottawa (like Toronto and Montreal) and have plans to build a arena to house the baby sens in the near future. So look to see them move to Ottawa in 8 years and the OHL return after that with the upgrades to the rink here. The Crawfords will have a huge say in the return of the OHL in the future

Westside

Dec 31, 2012
From what i hear weeks ago, the Ottawa Senators want to eventually have their farm team located in or around the city of Ottawa (like Toronto and Montreal) and have plans to build a arena to house the baby sens in the near future. So look to see them move to Ottawa in 8 years and the OHL return after that with the upgrades to the rink here. The Crawfords will have a huge say in the return of the OHL in the future
After the way the OHL (David Branch) and Gord Simmonds pulled out of Belleville I am not sure I ever want to see them in Belleville again!

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Does this make Binghamton on the prospect list for an OHL team?

There was a statement from the group that owned the team there that said they are already working on getting a replacement in time for next season, I believe they mean an AHL team. They would also be a prime candidate for an ECHL team.

Not totally out of the question to get an OHL team but probably not within the next year, would be slightly isolated to be an OHL team, at least as bad as the Soo has it.
I'd imagine if the OHL ever does get a team in New York state they would want it a tad closer.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Glad to see Belleville getting hockey back. We got lucky here in Plymouth when the Whalers were sold with USA Hockey buying the arena and relocating the NTDP here. The hockey fans in Belleville had to sweat it out a lot longer before getting something.

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario

I wonder if the 2,500 OHL fans per game in Belleville will be sufficient to support an AHL team?

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Would part of the renovation include a NHL size ice pad? First thing I think that should be changed.

Happy for Belleville hockey fans. :handclap:

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
Apparently the North wall is coming out, and seats will continue all around, along with some box seats. New boards, glass, floor and are reducing the size of the rink to NHL size.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Apparently the North wall is coming out, and seats will continue all around, along with some box seats. New boards, glass, floor and are reducing the size of the rink to NHL size.

Will the benches still be split up?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Interesting. Someone asked me that the other day and I wasn't sure as I hadn't paid close enough attention looking at the few designs that have been shown. Afterward I got thinking that the tunnels are already there on each side so they'd likely stay split.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
This pretty much has a rundown of general changes/upgrades. Hopefully they show more designs sometime.
Arena-1-480x341.jpg

The quality of the sketches in the article aren't great as they don't expand clearly when you click them: http://www.quintenews.com/2016/09/photos-yardmen-proposal/127630/

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I wonder if the 2,500 OHL fans per game in Belleville will be sufficient to support an AHL team?

I broke down the numbers once before, what with Hamilton going from the AHL to OHL and if I recall, it generally costs an additional $100,000 more in salary as opposed to OHL Billet and scholarship costs to run an AHL team over an OHL team, and that's before travel costs are worked into the equation. That said, those travel costs are harder to gague now, as I believe the NHL contributes somewhat to travel expenses now, because of how many of the western teams demanded AHL teams be rellocated to California to ease their travel burdens. That said, I still doubt those travel costs are cheaper then the OHL being able to charter busses.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=110145607&highlight=ahl#post110145607

Here is the other thing, a lot of AHL teams are now owned by the NHL parent club and most of those clubs tend to be willing to tank losses in markets for to have a team closer to the NHL club, for faster less exhausting call ups. Case and point, the Marlies and Toronto, most of the West coast AHL teams now, the Moose and Winnipeg and soon the Ice Caps and Montreal. If the Sens end up owning the team, this is what is actually driving this, don't be surprised if Kanata or Gattineau ends up with the AHL club.

I think the situation is best summerized by Duane Rollins, a well known Toronto soccer buff who was also a Belleville fan.

"The best news of the AHL team moving to Belleville is that it is forcing renovations to arena that will eventually lead to return of Bulls."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad