Belleville AHL

core33

Feb 22, 2015
I don't consider the AHL semi pro hockey - it is professional hockey.

Having had the Cape Breton Oilers and the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in Sydney and traveling a fair distance to watch them both - I would choose the AHL 9 times out of 10. That is especially so given todays rules on limiting the numbers of veterans allowed to play. You get a really nice mix now and most players in the NHL still come from this league.

That is purely my perspective but to say only "real" hockey fans agree with your perspective is a bit much.

AHL teams are affiliated with the NHL, the players have to go there if they don't make the cut and are old enough.
So of course they technically "come" from there.

But they develop and get drafted generally out of junior. Some play 2-3 years after being drafted.

I don't like the high player transactions, I much prefer junior. Even top players that end up in the NHL play 4 years in the O and most for one team. Some examples are....

Bobby Ryan, PK Subban, Marc Savard, Boone Jenner, Corey Perry, John Tavares, Marc Staal, Matt Belesky, Shawn Mattias, Cal Clutterbuck, Daniel Cleary, Mike Peca, Alyn Mccauly, Wayne Primeau....

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
AHL teams are affiliated with the NHL, the players have to go there if they don't make the cut and are old enough.
So of course they technically "come" from there.

But they develop and get drafted generally out of junior. Some play 2-3 years after being drafted.

I don't like the high player transactions, I much prefer junior. Even top players that end up in the NHL play 4 years in the O and most for one team. Some examples are....

Bobby Ryan, PK Subban, Marc Savard, Boone Jenner, Corey Perry, John Tavares, Marc Staal, Matt Belesky, Shawn Mattias, Cal Clutterbuck, Daniel Cleary, Mike Peca, Alyn Mccauly, Wayne Primeau....

I understand your point on roster stability but I think you missed mine on where players come from. The path to the NHL is through the AHL in most cases so each night you attend an AHL game you are seeing a large number of players that will eventually get there; some tweeners, some that have been in the NHL and on the way down and some players that will never progress. In Junior you get a couple that will play in the NHL on average. You get a few more that will play some pro in the AHL, ECHL or maybe Europe. Others will head for University and others fall out of Major Junior and play some Junior A or even below in some cases.

I find the quality of play higher in the AHL , others may prefer the feistiness and stability of Junior.

I am a real hockey fan though and enjoy the AHL. And I will be tuning in to the Memorial Cup tomorrow night...there's not much hockey I don't like!

NV

Aug 22, 2003
Did anyone ever explain how the supposed AHL team was going to get to Belleville without an airport? Fly into CFB Trenton?

Mitts Marner*

Did anyone ever explain how the supposed AHL team was going to get to Belleville without an airport? Fly into CFB Trenton?

Fly to Toronto and take a bus. And I imagine that's only for the Pacific Division teams. The bus is the method of travel for the AHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

barrieboy

May 4, 2016
So on a lazy holiday Monday I was cruising OHL news and saw that theres just over a week left in the recent edition of the Belleville non disclosure agreement with.....someone....
whats the recent rumours?

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
So on a lazy holiday Monday I was cruising OHL news and saw that theres just over a week left in the recent edition of the Belleville non disclosure agreement with.....someone....
whats the recent rumours?
Lol I wish I knew my friend. I'm totally surprised that this has been kept as quiet as it has. I'm just hoping it's an OHL team and not some senior team from somewhere! I have my doubts about the AHL thou.

cnauta

Oct 22, 2011
Hey more power to Belleville if they get an AHL team, they can have it. While the Hunters are in London there will be no AHL team. Why would the Hunters want to have payroll, way more overhead and a less marketable product in the AHL? The Hunters are smart. They make more money than any AHL team currently in existence and they have a way more marketable product in a CHL team. Winnipeg now has the AHL back again and there were many season tickets sold last season including myself. I cancelled my season tickets and so did 60% of the other season ticket holders as the AHL is not a bad product per se, but the NHL or CHL is a better product for fans and for owners. Way less headaches as well! It's the NHL or the CHL for me.

barrieboy

May 4, 2016
just heard from a very reliable source, Belleville IS in line to have the baby sens play out of the Yardmen, its not official yet as a few I's to dot and T's to cross, part of which is to possibly acquire the name Belleville Bulls from currant owner Mr. Simmonds.
This is a short term agreement of 7-8 years as Ottawa is wanting to build a new arena in Ottawa and have the farm club play in Ottawa like Toronto.
it is believed that IF Belleville and area support the baby Sen's then upon their move to Ottawa then the OHL will quickly move back into the friendly city possibly with the Sen's as owners but more then likely a local ownership possibly with connections to Ottawa.

barrieboy

May 4, 2016
Is Belleville geting AHL team?.

I would put money on it, its all but certain that there will be very soon an announcement that Belleville, will in fact be home to the baby Sens..there was interest from OHL clubs in the Belleville market, however Ottawa has been in secret talks with Belleville since January and are close to signing a 8 year deal

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
I would put money on it, its all but certain that there will be very soon an announcement that Belleville, will in fact be home to the baby Sens..there was interest from OHL clubs in the Belleville market, however Ottawa has been in secret talks with Belleville since January and are close to signing a 8 year deal
The city of Belleville and the unknown hockey team has extended the confidential talks again as of today. Good news for hockey fans in the quinte region

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I've been meaning to post this for a bit to provide some insight from my perspective... This is only speculation on my part but I think the reason why the confidentiality agreement keeps getting extended is because there is something very similar in the works like what happened last year with the St. John's IceCaps, Hamilton Bulldogs, and Belleville Bulls.

Last year the IceCaps were moved to Winnipeg to become the Manitoba Moose and be close to the Jets. The Montreal Canadiens bought the Hamilton Bulldogs AHL team and moved to St. John's for a 2 year stint while the Canadiens build an area for the team near Montreal. Michael Andlauer, the man who sold the team to Montreal had a 2 year lease remaining on the arena in Hamilton and bought the Belleville Bulls. As we've seen in recent years, more NHL clubs are buying their AHL affiliates, and in many (not all) cases the teams are being moved closer to the NHL clubs.

In this case, I think what is happening is that the deal with the Binghamton Sens is all but done but they are waiting on other some other moves to happen before any announcements are made. From my understanding, the AHL Sens' owner has a lease remaining on the arena in Binghamton, much like Michael Andlauer had in Hamilton. Therefore, it needs to be filled and it wouldn't surprise me if we see another AHL team moved to Binghamton like Hamilton last year.

Going back to the Sens possibly coming to Belleville, city council in Belleville have already approved spending over $7million to fix the problems with the Yardmen Arena and for renovations. An architecture firm in Ottawa has already been hired to create the designs, which the tender process was skipped by city council in order to hire this particular company. My thinking is that the Ottawa Senators picked out the firm so that the designs would be tailored to meet the Sens' needs. Otherwise, why would the city select a firm 3 hours away and skip the tender process when the Great Toronto Area is just 2 hours away?

When the Belleville Bulls were among the shuffle of teams in 2015, everything was kept secret (like what we are seeing now) until news leaked in Winnipeg that they were getting the IceCaps. Because all of the moves were tied into one another, press releases were swiftly sent out from all organizations announcing their sales and moves on the same day.

Why would Belleville be attractive to the Ottawa Senators? Location. While there isn't a huge difference in travel time between Belleville or Binghamton to Ottawa for call ups, with Belleville they eliminate time in customs. Additionally, prior to Rogers signing their huge NHL tv rights deal that Belleville was within the Senators broadcast region. This area has a large mix of Leafs, Habs, and Sens fans. In addition to fans coming to watch the AHL Sens, there are many Leafs and Habs fans who can come to see their farm teams as well.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The distance from Ottawa to Binghamton is about a 4 hour drive while Ottawa to Belleville is about 2.5 hours. Yes, their AHL team would be 1.5 hours closer in Belleville, but still 2.5 hours away. Does not seem like that much of a gain to leave Binghamton or time in customs to be that big of an issue. I am not saying Belleville doesn't deserve a team because they do. Is there more to this story that I am missing.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Cheaper Canadian dollar would offer big savings across the entire operation. They could save some valuable funds that could be used to help all levels of their franchise.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Cheaper Canadian dollar would offer big savings across the entire operation. They could save some valuable funds that could be used to help all levels of their franchise.

Minimum salaries for Canadian teams are higher than the U.S. based teams as per the collective bargaining agreement. Given that the cost of living is higher in Canada than the US I don't think the Canadian Dollar has an effect on this. The only cost savings would be realized by having the farm team closer to the parent club

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
People need to be honest with semi- pro hockey. Unless it is the farm team to a local team in Canada. No one cares.

Disagree. A team is still a team and it's very competitive, professional hockey. If Windsor ever lost the Spitfires, I'd be happy to have an AHL club, regardless of who was the parent team.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Disagree. A team is still a team and it's very competitive, professional hockey. If Windsor ever lost the Spitfires, I'd be happy to have an AHL club, regardless of who was the parent team.
That's how I am as well. While I'd prefer OHL hockey, I won't complain if Belleville gets an AHL team. By no means am I a Sens fan but I enjoy watching great hockey, and watching players develop. I'd be up for watching the Sens farm team and having farm teams for the Leafs, Habs, Canucks, and others come by. If everything comes to fruition and if Jordan or Malcom Subban are still with their farm teams by then, they'd definitely get a nice welcome from the fans at the Yardmen Arena. I'd still travel to OHL games but AHL would provide us with great hockey locally.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Binghamton would be ripe for an OHL team. They have a decent arena, they averaged 3,812 this past season, which is pretty good. It would get the OHL into NY. Should Utica lose their AHL franchise, they would be another possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad