Belleville AHL

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If ever there was a market ripe for an AHL team it would be London.

Why?....I suspect more money to be had with an OHL team, way less overhead, payroll.............................
Arena is sold out and I suspect most OHL cities are more passionate about the OHL than a AHL team.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Why?....I suspect more money to be had with an OHL team, way less overhead, payroll.............................
Arena is sold out and I suspect most OHL cities are more passionate about the OHL than a AHL team.

Probably most OHL cities never had an AHL franchise

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
The Cornwall Aces are comparable to an AHL team going to Belleville. They were the Nordiques AHL affiliate from 1993-95, then the Avs in 95-96 before the Avalanche ended their agreement with the team. The Aces went dormant, and were revived as the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in 1999.

It was over 20 years ago, but how was attendance for the Aces? They had a couple of decent playoff runs in their three seasons.

I'd assume Yardmen Arena would be renovated to an NHL sized rink if this deal goes through.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
If ever there was a market ripe for an AHL team it would be London.

Unless the team was affiliated with the Leafs or the Wings they wouldn't stand a chance, even then it would be a stretch. Between the Knights and the Lightening the Gardens is usually booked on the weekends in the winter, it would be a tough sell to have a weekday regular home night

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
An AHL team would be great for Belleville, if they had all the proper items crossed off in the city. I remember Windsor nearly getting Cincy's AHL team (Anaheim farm club?). Not sure how they would have done given the structure/style of the AHL is far different than NHL or OHL.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Speaking from Hamilton, first this doesn't happen without an arena upgrade. The AHL is surprisingly picky about arena details. Second, having run many years as the Habs affiliate in the Leafs market, I can say without a doubt, if Ottawa doesn't end up there, it's a moot point.

There were always tons of people who stayed away because they weren't the Leafs affiliate and it's very hard to attract fans to an AHL team unless the local NHL team is the affiliate.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
It doesn't make a lot of sense. Binghamton is not much further away, their arena is bigger, and they have pretty good attendance. This is a stretch in my opinion. If the OHL leaves a city, why would the AHL want to put a franchise there, Canada or not? It seems pretty stupid to me.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Speaking from Hamilton, first this doesn't happen without an arena upgrade. The AHL is surprisingly picky about arena details. Second, having run many years as the Habs affiliate in the Leafs market, I can say without a doubt, if Ottawa doesn't end up there, it's a moot point.

There were always tons of people who stayed away because they weren't the Leafs affiliate and it's very hard to attract fans to an AHL team unless the local NHL team is the affiliate.

Belleville I'm sure has it's share of Sens fans. I live in Kingston and I know there are a bunch here. And I would think that an AHL team there would turn some hockey fans into Sens fans by getting attached to players and rooting for them in the NHL. All it takes is a winner

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Belleville I'm sure has it's share of Sens fans. I live in Kingston and I know there are a bunch here. And I would think that an AHL team there would turn some hockey fans into Sens fans by getting attached to players and rooting for them in the NHL. All it takes is a winner
Yep. Belleville is a fringe Sens/Leafs city. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of Leaf fans here but there are many Sens and Habs fans here too.

For a number of years the border for Sens/Leafs television broadcast region was Walbridge-Loyalist Rd (western edge of Belleville). It was frustrating to have so many Leafs games blacked out because Belleville was within in the Sens' region. Since Rogers got the exclusive broadcast rights, the borders moved and we get all Leafs games now :)

As for the rumours, I've heard a lot of positive feedback from hockey fans. Even for people like myself who aren't Sens fans (but travel to Ottawa for NHL games), I'd be interested in going to games just to watch pro hockey and see all of the NHL prospects when they come to visit. Would prefer OHL over AHL but I'll gladly watch AHL as we hope for OHL to return. We will continue to travel for OHL hockey too.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
A Belleville news article earlier in this thread mentioned an April 30th deadline. Does anyone have an update?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
The confidentially agreement was resigned around late last week for another month. I'd say that means things are moving in a positive direction or it wouldn't have been extended.

barrieboy

May 4, 2016
AHL ?? I've heard rumors Belleville might actually be in discussions with an OHL club talking relocation.
which rumors are true, which OHL club might be looking at relocation?

knowescape

Made you look
Jan 26, 2016
Ontario
The confidentially agreement was resigned around late last week for another month. I'd say that means things are moving in a positive direction or it wouldn't have been extended.

Not necessarily, I have seen negotiations where additional time was granted to try and ram the proverbial square peg into the round hole. Eventually both sides realized the horse was dead and dismounted. More time does not mean greater likelihood of a positive answer.

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
AHL ?? I've heard rumors Belleville might actually be in discussions with an OHL club talking relocation.
which rumors are true, which OHL club might be looking at relocation?

I do not have a source on this yet, but yes I too have heard this rumor, the team that I was told was the Mississauga Steelheads. But it's just a rumor

barrieboy

May 4, 2016
I hope your right, I couldn't believe they moved the Bulls to Hamilton..Belleville deserves a team back

Westside

Dec 31, 2012
If the OHL comes back to Belleville I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a game after the under handed way the league moved the Bulls. With people like Branch and Simmonds in control there is no honesty or honour in that league!

ImaBullsfan

Mar 4, 2012
If the OHL comes back to Belleville I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a game after the under handed way the league moved the Bulls. With people like Branch and Simmonds in control there is no honesty or honour in that league!
We all understand your anger. Believe me there's no lower snake than Dave Branch. But we just want another OHL team here. We miss the boys here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad