B-Sens Belleville 2017-2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If I am Dorion I realize there is no future in nets right now, I call up Hogberg to Belleville move all the other trash to the side and get Hogberg to start every possible game he can down there and then give him a chance in training camp next year.

There's very little harm in having him perform well at a lower level, obviously the plan is to bring him along slowly. There's no reason to bring him up to Belleville and have him get slaughtered, like he did in Binghamton last year. As the season goes along I have no doubt he would have seen some AHL action, but whats the sense in rushing it?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
There's very little harm in having him perform well at a lower level, obviously the plan is to bring him along slowly. There's no reason to bring him up to Belleville and have him get slaughtered, like he did in Binghamton last year. As the season goes along I have no doubt he would have seen some AHL action, but whats the sense in rushing it?
If that's the case they should have left him in Sweden. He'd be playing against better competition and have a starters role locked down. Its more mismanagement.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If that's the case they should have left him in Sweden. He'd be playing against better competition and have a starters role locked down. Its more mismanagement.

They clearly want him to get adjusted to the NA ice, it’s been said on several occasions. I don’t know know if you saw his games in Binghamton last, it was bad.

Reactions: Emerica

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
They clearly want him to get adjusted to the NA ice, it’s been said on several occasions. I don’t know know if you saw his games in Binghamton last, it was bad.
What are you on about here? He played 3 games for the 29th ranked Binghamton Senators last year. You're really gonna make an evaluation on that? He's a goalie, not a defenseman. Getting adjusted to ice size is really not important for him. This is mismanagement. There's no defense for this.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What are you on about here? He played 3 games for the 29th ranked Binghamton Senators last year. You're really gonna make an evaluation on that? He's a goalie, not a defenseman. Getting adjusted to ice size is really not important for him. This is mismanagement. There's no defense for this.

Belleville maybe a little better but hardly any improvements have been made to this point, theres a lot of first and second year pros on that team. It's absolutely an adjustment for goaltenders, I'd argue its a more significant transition than any other position. In what way is it mismanagement?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Belleville maybe a little better but hardly any improvements have been made to this point, theres a lot of first and second year pros on that team. It's absolutely an adjustment for goaltenders, I'd argue its a more significant transition than any other position. In what way is it mismanagement?
I've already said how its mismanagement. Lets hear this argument that goalies have the hardest adjustment to ice size though. This I want to hear.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I've already said how its mismanagement. Lets hear this argument that goalies have the hardest adjustment to ice size though. This I want to hear.

If you don't mind restating the reasons, id rather not search through old posts.

The adjustment for goaltenders when going from international size to NA ice is more about the style of game, there's the obvious issues with adjusting angles, but that's usually a quick adjustment. The larger ice surface leads to more east/west play and more perimeter play and its more about puck control. Its a big adjustment going to a smaller ice surface where the play is a little faster, theres more of an emphasis on driving the net and your dealing with more traffic. Goaltenders who play on international ice tend to be more conservative in their approach as its more of a pass-first style where as in NA it's more shoot first and you need to be a little more aggressive to cut down the angle.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
If I am Dorion I realize there is no future in nets right now, I call up Hogberg to Belleville move all the other trash to the side and get Hogberg to start every possible game he can down there and then give him a chance in training camp next year.

I dunno if feeding Hogberg to the sharks would be good for his confidence. Doesnt seem like Belleville's defense is doing much to help the back end...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't mind Hogberg playing in the AHL but I don't think he should be called up to Ottawa when it's a complete mess up here with a coach who is just spinning his wheels. The Taylor experiment sadly has failed so I would play my younger drafted goalies to get as much experience as possible at this point. Man, when it goes bad it falls off the cliff for the entire organization. Everything Melnyk touches turns to shit.

Reactions: Cosmix

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
If you don't mind restating the reasons, id rather not search through old posts.

The adjustment for goaltenders when going from international size to NA ice is more about the style of game, there's the obvious issues with adjusting angles, but that's usually a quick adjustment. The larger ice surface leads to more east/west play and more perimeter play and its more about puck control. Its a big adjustment going to a smaller ice surface where the play is a little faster, theres more of an emphasis on driving the net and your dealing with more traffic. Goaltenders who play on international ice tend to be more conservative in their approach as its more of a pass-first style where as in NA it's more shoot first and you need to be a little more aggressive to cut down the angle.

i want to add. that the fact that it is faster also means that the have to analyse what is going on in front of them faster. As a goaltender, it is very important to have the ability to analyse every possibility of plays in front of you. If you don't you are always going to be behind the play and get scored.

When you have that ability, you normally know where the puck has the greater pourcentage of going, which give you a good reaction time.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Fun fact - since Randy Lee was promoted to GM of our minor league affiliate they've never finished higher than 23rd in the AHL.

Reactions: Mika Hoffmanijad

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I was going to answer the post you quoted and wrote something like this but thank you for doing the work. The game and the way offense is developed is very different on NA and Europe... that's a given

Even within the NHL some goalies struggle with system changes...

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
didn't his team win a calder cup?

If Timmy won McDavid in Buffalo over Eicher I think he would have been regarded as one of the greater GM's in the league.

Well, Edmonton is proving now that even having a generational 1C doesn't guarantee having success. McDavid's even having a pretty great season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad