OT: Beer Thread

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It has roughly the same total alcohol content as 7 standard sized bottles of 5% beer. I expect the taste is bad enough that you probably wouldn't want to drink 2 liters of it, other than to win a bet from your buddies that you could. I hope that comment doesn't drive the wrong behaviour. :laugh:

I've had beer from the Great Western 2 liter jug and it was not enjoyable. I can't imagine stone cold is better.

Back in the day Two Rivers used to have the 600 ml plastic bottles and those were great for drinking on the Steinbach Fly-In course when they weren't licensed because you could re-seal the cap. Of course you had to put up with all the jokes about living in downtown Winnipeg but it was worth it when some other schlep would drop his can and spill his beer.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'm sipping on a Surly Xtra Citra at the moment as I try to figure out my game preferences for our ticket draft tonight. Much ado about nothing, IMO. I'm hoping the other ones are more interesting.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'm sipping on a Surly Xtra Citra at the moment as I try to figure out my game preferences for our ticket draft tonight. Much ado about nothing, IMO. I'm hoping the other ones are more interesting.

I had the Citra on the weekend for the first time and while it was enjoyable I'd agree that it doesn't stand out. I suppose the only thing I'll be buying locally is Furious as at least it is somewhat unique.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Had Stone Cold for the first time today...and it was spectacular!
O.k..some context I bought some Stone Cold to make some Beer Brats recipe called for quite a bit of beer...also poached the Brats in beer before finishing them on the charcoal grill..the Brats were wicked..
Tried the Stone Cold just to try...pretty much what you would expect from beer in a 2liter plastic bottle...think a cheap version of Olympia/Bush...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Becoming a craft beer only type guy. I am still aquiring a taste for IPA but I like the boldness. Just finished a Red Racer Super Stellar IPA and it was a bit intense but when I transitioned to a Mill Street Organic I found it too light now. Stanley Park Windstorm Pale Ale was not bad. I have still not tackled Stout.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Becoming a craft beer only type guy. I am still aquiring a taste for IPA but I like the boldness. Just finished a Red Racer Super Stellar IPA and it was a bit intense but when I transitioned to a Mill Street Organic I found it too light now. Stanley Park Windstorm Pale Ale was not bad. I have still not tackled Stout.

Try the Red Racer "India Style" Red Ale (nee Extra Special Bitter). It contrasts the fragrant, floral hops with more caramelly old-world malts; very nicely balanced to my palate.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

That always kills me. You're drinking alcohol, a known toxin and carcinogen but people want it to be organic. :shakehead:laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That always kills me. You're drinking alcohol, a known toxin and carcinogen but people want it to be organic. :shakehead:laugh:

Yea I am not sure how many people they get on the Organic part but the irony is not lost on me Buggs.

Organic poison. :yo:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just read that TCB will boast Manitoba's first female head brewer, good on them and more so her. Apparently she's been working with Amsterdam brewing in Toronto for the past 5 years, according to the TCB website. Good news, I'm a big fan of their beers, Boneshaker is one of my faves. If they can bring product like that, I'll be pretty happy.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Someone needs to start a petition to have local craft beer served at the MTS centre in those specialty bar areas.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Someone needs to start a petition to have local craft beer served at the MTS centre in those specialty bar areas.

If a bud costs me $9.75 at the mts centre then there's no way i'm ready to drop $19.99 + shipping and handling on a craft beer. As much as I love them.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

I'm hoping that Goose Island is still available just outside my section. Perhaps not truly craft but it is no Budweiser. Only about a $1 more and well worth it in comparison.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm hoping that Goose Island is still available just outside my section. Perhaps not truly craft but it is no Budweiser. Only about a $1 more and well worth it in comparison.

It was still there in the preseason. It's a pretty solid veer. Mich better than Bud.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Agreed, I'd prefer something more local but Goose Island saved my drinking days at Jets games, I was ready to give it up as everything else is pretty much undrinkable swill.

I wish they would make the IPA more widely available though. Most concessions seem to just have the Honkers on tap, which I'm not a big fan of. The closest place to my section for the IPA is the Exchange.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Agreed, I'd prefer something more local but Goose Island saved my drinking days at Jets games, I was ready to give it up as everything else is pretty much undrinkable swill.

I wish they would make the IPA more widely available though. Most concessions seem to just have the Honkers on tap, which I'm not a big fan of. The closest place to my section for the IPA is the Exchange.

Thankfully the IPA is available outside my section (112) so hearing it has been available in the preseason (my first game is tomorrow) is very good news.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I was at the Yankees game yesterday afternoon and I started out with a Goose Island which was the only IPA I saw that was available. The wife drank a bud light and poked fun at me for my new drinking style but I have to admit once you get going on the craft beer it's addictive. My issue is managing the increased alcohol content. That being said I am getting hooked on the hoppy bitter flavor of IPA's.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I was at the Yankees game yesterday afternoon and I started out with a Goose Island which was the only IPA I saw that was available. The wife drank a bud light and poked fun at me for my new drinking style but I have to admit once you get going on the craft beer it's addictive. My issue is managing the increased alcohol content. That being said I am getting hooked on the hoppy bitter flavor of IPA's.
glad you're into IPAs now. check out New England IPAs. they're the rage and the real deal.

also a quick note: Goose Island ain't craft. it's owned by InBev i.e. Bud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad