OT: Beer Thread

demok2

Sep 7, 2016
$8 must have been for Todd the axeman then. $4.98 a can still more expensive than a growler of furious for a shade over $17

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Surly cans will be on sale September 1 at the Quality Inn beer store on Pembina Hwy. However they will not be cheap at $8 for a 16oz can. They will be selling individual cans and not the 4 or 12 packs you can get in North Dakota. The math doesn't support the purchase of cans versus the growlers.

Ouch. I was worried about that. I'm not sure who to blame, but I'll blame the MLCC. The cans of Furious stateside can be had for about $2 a piece ($7.99 in the right stores for a four pack) but I've seen them for up to $2.50 ($10/four pack). Todd the Axeman is more expensive but not prohibitively so.

The exchange just doesn't work out. $5 for Furious? Um, even with bad exchange it's ballparking at $3 a can. MLCC surely doesn't need to turn a $2/unit profit do they? The $8 for Todd is stupid, there's no other word for it. It's enjoyable and I love the company but there are better IPAs for less than half the cost. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

JMO but I don't think Surly will survive here at that pricing.

Edit:
Just took a peak and products are showing now: https://www.liquormarts.ca/search-products/%/Surly Brewing

Todd is only $6.99/can
Furious is $4.98
Xtra Citra is $3.98

$7 still seems stupid for Todd; Furious is marginal at $5.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Finally got to try the Torque Summer Session pack.

I really like the ISA
The taste of the GOSE surprised me, but was quite enjoyable once the surprise wore off lol.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Finally got to try the Torque Summer Session pack.

I really like the ISA
The taste of the GOSE surprised me, but was quite enjoyable once the surprise wore off lol.

I had the same reaction, I was like "what the" after the first taste, then I realized I quite enjoyed it.

Definitely different.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Do you boys transition your Torque products from the can to a glass or do you sip from the can?

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Do you boys transition your Torque products from the can to a glass or do you sip from the can?

From a glass, always from a glass, whenever available of course. The aroma just makes it so much more enjoyable.

That goes for any good beer, not just Torque :).

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
From a glass, always from a glass, whenever available of course. The aroma just makes it so much more enjoyable.

That goes for any good beer, not just Torque :).

Indeed. Drinking from a glass lets you savor the experience so much more. :nod:

Ee3Gqws.gif

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea I usually only drink from the vessel (can or bottle) at the lake.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Here's the perfect beer for pool parties.

5b0b6b65b2e9c67e0259fc76006efca1_320x320.jpeg

Roughly 7 standard drinks per bottle and when you get tried of drinking it, just shake it up and chase people around and give them beer showers. :laugh:

Wait, the guy who won't do growlers for fear of under carbonation.......is drinking Stone Cold?

I'm shattered.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Wait, the guy who won't do growlers for fear of under carbonation.......is drinking Stone Cold?

I'm shattered.

I remain a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. :D

Actually, the suggestion was purely tongue in cheek. Never had it, never will. There's just something wrong about putting beer in a PET bottle.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
tried 2 of the surly beers and they were pretty good but nothing spectacular (xtra citra and todd the axeman). still have a furious IPA in the fridge for later.

also had this new half pints seasonal IPA "ekuanot smash" which was quite good. light and easy drinking with nice flavour. citrusy, grassy, crisp, clean bitterness to freshen it up... nice summer beer. would drink again/10

they also did a nitro version of their stir stick stout which i wanted to try but it's only on for pours in the taproom, no fills allowed.

i know they've been around the longest, but half pints is still easily the best brewery we have. they have been impressing me a lot lately, none of the other new breweries are putting out anywhere near the quality they have been for a while now.

barnhammer specifically has been a pretty huge letdown IMO. cool location and environment, nice place and all, but the beer is not that good. everything i try from them tastes almost the same. just overly malty and plain with little stand out flavours.

torque has been alright so far, from what i can tell. still have yet to try anything from peg beer co. or little brown jug though.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I remain a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. :D

Actually, the suggestion was purely tongue in cheek. Never had it, never will. There's just something wrong about putting beer in a PET bottle.
Well thank Christ. I almost had to give up my membership to the HF beer thread.

Fortunately I pay no dues.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Little Brown Jug is the best local beer i've had to date. Great stuff.

I have heard good things...and really really want to have a great Manitoba brewery...I enjoy Farmery but don't love it, Same with Fort Gary (Dark),...is Little Brown Jug going to be available in bottles/cans? Live outside WPG so the growler won't work for me...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I have heard good things...and really really want to have a great Manitoba brewery...I enjoy Farmery but don't love it, Same with Fort Gary (Dark),...is Little Brown Jug going to be available in bottles/cans? Live outside WPG so the growler won't work for me...

Is Farmery even brewing in Manitoba? I know they have their home out by Neepawa but I don't think their production is happening to any extent in Manitoba, rather I've heard they are brewing out of a location in Ontario.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Is Farmery even brewing in Manitoba? I know they have their home out by Neepawa but I don't think their production is happening to any extent in Manitoba, rather I've heard they are brewing out of a location in Ontario.

It appears that their brewery was completed about a year ago and that the beer is now being made in Neepawa.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Little Brown Jug is the best local beer i've had to date. Great stuff.

I am drinking one right now as I participate in burger week finally, 1919 is my new favorite go to beer.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Here's the perfect beer for pool parties.

5b0b6b65b2e9c67e0259fc76006efca1_320x320.jpeg

Roughly 7 standard drinks per bottle and when you get tried of drinking it, just shake it up and chase people around and give them beer showers. :laugh:

This is actually the perfect beer for hitting rock bottom

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I've always wanted to try Stone Cold just to say I had, is it really 7 beers for under $10?

It has roughly the same total alcohol content as 7 standard sized bottles of 5% beer. I expect the taste is bad enough that you probably wouldn't want to drink 2 liters of it, other than to win a bet from your buddies that you could. I hope that comment doesn't drive the wrong behaviour. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad