OT: Beer Thread

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Speaking of good beer, just had a Collective Arts Brewing Gose. It's part of the current MLCC Canadian craft beer promotion. You can Google Gose to find out as much or as little as you care to know about the style, but I found it to be a very interesting and refreshing beer.

Last edited by a moderator:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Look. Frankly, if you're home with the kids and the wife is out of town, I'm not really seeing the beauty in that.

Red Stripe... ok.

German beer, better.

But... you're home with the kids.

I love my kids, but you need a little respite care here. Your mom would love a couple of nights with the little sully/sulettes.

...just my 2 cents.

My mom lives in Winnipeg and I live in Calgary...so that's a no go. But I agree...that would be preferable.

I'm not a huge fan of German beer. Most of it 's way to strong of flavour for me. I'm not super adventurous when it comes to Beer. I like what I like. Red Stripe. Corona. Carlsberg. Keith''s. Rickard's. Fort Garry Dark.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
My mom lives in Winnipeg and I live in Calgary...so that's a no go. But I agree...that would be preferable.

I'm not a huge fan of German beer. Most of it 's way to strong of flavour for me. I'm not super adventurous when it comes to Beer. I like what I like. Red Stripe. Corona. Carlsberg. Keith''s. Rickard's. Fort Garry Dark.

I can see where the heavier Bock beers would fall outside your comfort zone, but there are a number of German styles that I would consider easy drinking.

Carlsberg falls more into the German Pilsner style, so if you like that, there are probably quite a few German beers you would like. Comparable lagers available widely are Warsteiner, Bitburger and DAB. For a light ale, Koelsch is a good choice, if you are lucky enough to have any stocked there. In the absence of German examples, Half Pints St James Pale Ale is a reasonably good interpretation of the Koelsch style.

On the amber side, walk past that 6 pack of Rickard's Red and search out some Octoberfest. Fort Garry Dark is a shining example of how to take a really good kegged product and ruin it to make it a shelf stable bottled beer. DE filtration took away a lot of the character it once had. And I got that from the original brewer, Richard Hoeschen. Instead, look for a Dunkel, or even a Schwartzbier.

Germany can be your friend with just a little bit of adjustment to your preferred tastes. As I recall, Willow Park Wines had a really good imported beer selection when I was last there.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I can see where the heavier Bock beers would fall outside your comfort zone, but there are a number of German styles that I would consider easy drinking.

Carlsberg falls more into the German Pilsner style, so if you like that, there are probably quite a few German beers you would like. Comparable lagers available widely are Warsteiner, Bitburger and DAB. For a light ale, Koelsch is a good choice, if you are lucky enough to have any stocked there. In the absence of German examples, Half Pints St James Pale Ale is a reasonably good interpretation of the Koelsch style.

On the amber side, walk past that 6 pack of Rickard's Red and search out some Octoberfest. Fort Garry Dark is a shining example of how to take a really good kegged product and ruin it to make it a shelf stable bottled beer. DE filtration took away a lot of the character it once had. And I got that from the original brewer, Richard Hoeschen. Instead, look for a Dunkel, or even a Schwartzbier.

Germany can be your friend with just a little bit of adjustment to your preferred tastes. As I recall, Willow Park Wines had a really good imported beer selection when I was last there.

I really FGD on tap. Probably my favourite dark beer. Not as good in the bottle though.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Speaking of good beer, just had a Collective Arts Brewing Gose. It's part of the current MLCC Canadian craft beer promotion. You can Google Gose to find out as much or as little as you care to know about the style, but I found it to be a very interesting and refreshing beer.

can you believe i haven't had a CA beer yet?
spoiled by the Evil Twin collab gose they did a while back. that's my gold standard. and i dig the gose i make (nelson sauvin dry hop)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I really FGD on tap. Probably my favourite dark beer. Not as good in the bottle though.

when you get outside of Winnipeg, you realize:
Fort Garry Dark isn't an overly good beer.

(no offense).

also, bbq-wise, blonde/lighter beer aren't the best. try a dubbel or a well done porter. much better for bbq burgers.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
What's with the constant denigration of people's beer choices. :laugh: There are many out of the ordinary / high end beers that I enjoy and prefer, but I'll admit that on a hot day if someone offers me a Bud, I'll still drink it and enjoy it.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
What's with the constant denigration of people's beer choices. :laugh: There are many out of the ordinary / high end beers that I enjoy and prefer, but I'll admit that on a hot day if someone offers me a Bud, I'll still drink it and enjoy it.

nah. just giving helpful tips to those that are actually interested in going beyond their comfort level. esp with a hot day beer (sours, gose, helles) or a bbq.

no one's forcing you to listen :)

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

Agreed.
It's a pretty big pet peeve of mine. Not sure why craft beer aficionados feel the need to judge others. I'm not a Bud fan, but I'll drink it. And if someone loves it who am I to judge? And why would I care?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Agreed.
It's a pretty big pet peeve of mine. Not sure why craft beer aficionados feel the need to judge others. I'm not a Bud fan, but I'll drink it. And if someone loves it who am I to judge? And why would I care?

seriously, you 2 must have paper thin skin. no one judged you or your loved ones. one is simply stating that there are tastier options out there that SOME people may be interested in.

"stuart's a good penalty killer."
"actually, know who's a better PKiller? Trouba. I can explain it furth..."
"WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS HATE ON STUART??"

same dif, IMO. key word: opinion

i can also opine/discuss burgers, but tell me first if you think McDonalds is the bomb.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
seriously, you 2 must have paper thin skin. no one judged you or your loved ones. one is simply stating that there are tastier options out there that SOME people may be interested in.

i can also opine/discuss burgers, but tell me first if you think McDonalds is the bomb.

Less that probably more getting sick of hearing suggestions every time someone states what they drink. Not saying yours or anyone's opinions aren't valid or anything, but sometimes people just wanna state what they're doing/eating/drinking without hearing how they could be doing better.

But moving on.

Ever had any NZ beers? Did you like em?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

Wut?

No is saying you can't have an opinion. In fact I think Gin and I alluded to the fact that we both prefer non-conglomerate beers. That said, it is beyond me why "beer people" belittle people who like Budweiser.
Also worth noting that "tastier options" is subjective. I might like hoppy beers, some people might not. Disparaging someone for preferring bud to craft beer to me seems silly.

You can have the opinion that Bud sucks without making a value judgment on people who do like bud. Why this set you off is beyond me. You can feel superior about your beer choices, I can think caring about what other people drink is silly :dunno:

EDIT:
I just want to point out that the only post I was responding to was Gin's which simply said he didn't understand people who concern themselves with what others drink.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
when you get outside of Winnipeg, you realize:
Fort Garry Dark isn't an overly good beer.

(no offense).

also, bbq-wise, blonde/lighter beer aren't the best. try a dubbel or a well done porter. much better for bbq burgers.

None taken. I'm a pretty worldly guy and have drank beer in quite a few places...and I just like what I like tbh.

To me...there are two kinds of beers in this world. The beers that I will get loaded off of and the beers that I drink when I'm not getting loaded. Typically...the beers that have the stronger flavor are the beers that I just drink in a social gathering.

But if I'm being honest...so much of this stuff is just so subjective. You may not agree with my taste in beers, and that's OK...I don't particularly agree that scotch or coffee taste particularly good, but I understand that people disagree.

Most people really like Stella...but I think it's really just OK. I would take a Red Stripe over it every day of the week. But that's just my opinion. When I drink beer, I don't like the big bold flavor that a lot of beer out there has, I like beer that's a lot smoother going down. I also prefer beer on tap than bottles in every circumstance. And I think Guiness is gross.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

That's a little bit different. You can actually prove that someone's opinion would be wrong in that case. You can't actually prove that someone's opinion 's wrong when it comes to taste.

And I don't mind a bit mac every now and again. Too much though....and yelch.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
None taken. I'm a pretty worldly guy and have drank beer in quite a few places...and I just like what I like tbh.

To me...there are two kinds of beers in this world. The beers that I will get loaded off of and the beers that I drink when I'm not getting loaded. Typically...the beers that have the stronger flavor are the beers that I just drink in a social gathering.

But if I'm being honest...so much of this stuff is just so subjective. You may not agree with my taste in beers, and that's OK...I don't particularly agree that scotch or coffee taste particularly good, but I understand that people disagree.

Most people really like Stella...but I think it's really just OK. I would take a Red Stripe over it every day of the week. But that's just my opinion. When I drink beer, I don't like the big bold flavor that a lot of beer out there has, I like beer that's a lot smoother going down. I also prefer beer on tap than bottles in every circumstance. And I think Guiness is gross.

the brewmaster i worked for would pretty much drink Stella exclusively and proclaim how it's a perfect beer. it would make me laugh, but i get why he said it (and it was true Belgian Stella. tastes a bit different than north american stella, which is likely made in north america). here's the Beeradvocate review of Stella. considering most of it is the North American version, you can appreciate that consensus is still that it's better than Bud. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/169/449/

the taste of beer or food or how good a movie is - that indeed is subjective. but you can take websites like Beeradvocate or Ratebeer which accumulates (non-expert) ratings to get an idea of what's good and what isn't. and one can also pick apart flaws in beer (or movies or food or architecture) to give others an idea of why it, generally, isn't highly regarded.

like Bud. it's not a highly regarded beer. it's a highly consumed beer, but that isn't the same as highly regarded. hell, it has rice as an ingredient (which is flavourless), so you taste that in the beer. if you want a crisp beer without any off flavours, Bud's great. and yes, it sometimes does the job.

just for poops and giggles, here's the BA page on Budweiser. comments are pretty honest. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/65/

keep in mind that American Bud's a different beer than Canadian Bud. think the American one is 4.5% abv vs 5.0% in Canada. different flavour. Canadian one's a bit better.

by the way, this is what i had on Friday. kind of a palate bomb (no pun intended) compared to Bud, but it was pretty incredible. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30356/94350/

probably not the best summer beer, but if you want to have a beer with dessert (chocolate, mud pie, ice cream)

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Less that probably more getting sick of hearing suggestions every time someone states what they drink. Not saying yours or anyone's opinions aren't valid or anything, but sometimes people just wanna state what they're doing/eating/drinking without hearing how they could be doing better.

But moving on.

Ever had any NZ beers? Did you like em?

Right, and you sit by yourself at a bar at 1 AM because you want to be alone with your thoughts. :laugh: I figure people post something because they want to get a conversation going, and I'm always happy to oblige. Maybe I'm a bit of a beer snob at times, but my intentions are paving the road to hell.

As for NZ beer, meh. However, as a brewer, I will credit you for some interesting hop varieties.

Edit: Hannu, stop tormenting me with all the wonderful beers I can't get here. And why aren't emojis available while editing?

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Edit: Hannu, stop tormenting me with all the wonderful beers I can't get here. And why aren't emojis available while editing?

dude, i came back from the Michigan craft beer summer festival. 1300 beer. very few stinkers. they're so ahead of the game, it's unreal.

the worst beer i had was a lambic that tasted like mustard. poured out 1 other beer.

best beer was probably the raspberry lemon Dragon's Milk and barrel-aged Neopolitan (exactly as it sounds. like the ice cream). Bell's were pouring their Expedition Stout. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/1444/

dang dang.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Nice ad hominem. :laugh: If you think I have a thin skin, you obviously don't know me.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
your country's known for it's white wines. let's leave it at that :)

did you have any NZ beer to recommend? would rather hear more about your rum/whisky programs, which i heard was great

Nah, not really. My buddy who just went back to Canada loves Tui though. I think it's aight. I tend to drink more cider, usually go for Mac's/Isaac's. We do lack a good dry cider imo. A lot of very sweet fruity craft varieties popping up.

Honestly I haven't a clue about our liquor scene because it makes me too drunk too quickly. I'm a very small person.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Nah, not really. My buddy who just went back to Canada loves Tui though. I think it's aight. I tend to drink more cider, usually go for Mac's/Isaac's. We do lack a good dry cider imo. A lot of very sweet fruity craft varieties popping up.

Honestly I haven't a clue about our liquor scene because it makes me too drunk too quickly. I'm a very small person.

Beer for people who don't traditionally drink beer. The beer market is largely set with respect to the number of people who drink beer. All they can do is steal market share or acquire non-traditional beer drinkers (typically those that prefer a fruitier type of drink, such as wine, coolers, etc.).

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
The best beer I can remember having is Innis and Gunn's blonde that was available about 4-5 years ago. Haven't seen it since though.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Ever thought of making your own cider? You've got a very nice cider kit manufacturer right in your backyard.

http://mangrovejacks.com/collections/cider-1

The kits come with an artificial sweetener pack that you can add as much or as little of as your taste dictates. I like their apple cider, but don't much care for the pear. No real pear flavour to it, IMO.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
The best beer I can remember having is Innis and Gunn's blonde that was available about 4-5 years ago. Haven't seen it since though.

It's a limited edition, so may not be currently available. You can check with the MLCC to see if it is carried in another province. They will special order in a full case for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->