OT: Bears & NFL Talk 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
He's the best with regard to technique, Turner is the superior athlete, Verse is somewhere in between and may be the safest pick. It's a pretty interesting dynamic. Not sure any of the three inspire me all that much though, if it weren't such a clear position of need I would probably not want to pick any of them in the top 10.

I dont want any at 9.

I thought the point in trading a 2nd for Sweatt was because the pass rush talent in this class wasnt up to snuff.

Pass catcher should be target 1, then a move down for OL (2) and DE/DT (3)

Reactions: bwanajamba

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I dont want any at 9.

I thought the point in trading a 2nd for Sweatt was because the pass rush talent in this class wasnt up to snuff.

Pass catcher should be target 1, then a move down for OL (2) and DE/DT (3)

Several EDGE have been around 9/10 in rankings or early teens for a year now. The EDGE class doesn't have depth beyond round 2, but I haven't heard complaints about top tier talent like Turner/Latu/Verse/Robinson (Both) in this draft

Infact its decent odds all 5 of those guys will be taken in 1st round at this point

Bears traded for Sweat because our pass rush was embarrassment and non-existent and Washington was holding fire sale on its EDGE rushers who were heading towards FA

None of the G/C in this draft are close to value of #9 so it would be major reach on them and Bears dont need another OL. We have a good young T duo at this point.

WR + EDGE + DT + G are biggest needs of club at this point to address in draft.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
In Poles and Cunningham presser a few moments ago, Poles really talked up the DT aspect. How they are a shorter distance to the QB, can be a mutiplier and, if elite, extremely disruptive, almost moreso than the edge. There have been recent rumors about Murphy to the Bears, but at #9 that seems like a reach.

Reactions: Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
In Poles and Cunningham presser a few moments ago, Poles really talked up the DT aspect. How they are a shorter distance to the QB, can be a mutiplier and, if elite, extremely disruptive, almost moreso than the edge. There have been recent rumors about Murphy to the Bears, but at #9 that seems like a reach.
Reminds me of the Wright pick last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they go Murphy at #9 at all. I'd prefer a slight trade down, but if they're set on Murphy I doubt they'd want to risk it.

I think he has higher upside than any of the edges.

Reactions: Idionym

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Murphy has definitely had the most smoke around him. I like him more than Verse and Turner. I'd be fine with it. I really would rather take WR because I don't want to rely on Keenan Allen to be healthy and I think its a short term thing, and the guys this year are really good.

I like Braxton Jones a lot but wouldn't hate OT.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Several EDGE have been around 9/10 in rankings or early teens for a year now. The EDGE class doesn't have depth beyond round 2, but I haven't heard complaints about top tier talent like Turner/Latu/Verse/Robinson (Both) in this draft

Infact its decent odds all 5 of those guys will be taken in 1st round at this point

Bears traded for Sweat because our pass rush was embarrassment and non-existent and Washington was holding fire sale on its EDGE rushers who were heading towards FA

None of the G/C in this draft are close to value of #9 so it would be major reach on them and Bears dont need another OL. We have a good young T duo at this point.

WR + EDGE + DT + G are biggest needs of club at this point to address in draft.

The strongest position in this draft after WR is Oline. DE has been propped up due to positional value, the best Olinemen in the draft are better than the best pass rusher.

Braxton Jones is OK, but if you have a chance to upgrade that position, you do it because the hopenis youbarent picking top 10 again for a very long time.

For players who quite possibly could be there at 9 (or 8), my list is

Bowers, Odunze, Fashanu.

You can trade down and go Fautanu, Verse, Latham

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
1000017233.jpg
1000017235.jpg

Attachments

• 1000017235.jpg
    1000017235.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000017233.jpg
    1000017233.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago

So they're going to pay less than half? This is going to be DOA in Springfield.

We literally just got a Moody's upgrade a few days ago. Pritzker isn't going to throw away the massive amount of work he's put into improving the fiscal situation in Illinois, which is going to be a major talking point in his (national) campaigns to come, for a private entity. This isn't going bold on a massive public works project that would modernize infrastructure in Illinois or something else that he can sell, it's a proven losing project (we still owe a ton because of a shortfall from the last stadium renovation!) that, even if it worked out, would be a lame selling point.

Pritzker isn't going to trade off the ability to go around telling people how he turned around Illinois' financing for the opportunity to tell them he kept the Bears in Chicago. This is just posturing for Arlington Heights at this point.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
So they're going to pay less than half? This is going to be DOA in Springfield.

We literally just got a Moody's upgrade a few days ago. Pritzker isn't going to throw away the massive amount of work he's put into improving the fiscal situation in Illinois, which is going to be a major talking point in his (national) campaigns to come, for a private entity. This isn't going bold on a massive public works project that would modernize infrastructure in Illinois or something else that he can sell, it's a proven losing project (we still owe a ton because of a shortfall from the last stadium renovation!) that, even if it worked out, would be a lame selling point.

Pritzker isn't going to trade off the ability to go around telling people how he turned around Illinois' financing for the opportunity to tell them he kept the Bears in Chicago. This is just posturing for Arlington Heights at this point.
What read is it would be half. 2.3 bil supplied by the Bears (including the amount the NFL pitches in), and $2,.3 bil from the government.

Good luck to the Bears on this one. Hard to see the government pitching in this much $$$$.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
What read is it would be half. 2.3 bil supplied by the Bears (including the amount the NFL pitches in), and $2,.3 bil from the government.

Good luck to the Bears on this one. Hard to see the government pitching in this much $$$$.
It's going to be more than half, because these projects always go (fairly significantly) over, and I would guess that taxpayers would have to pick up that bill.

Reactions: Sarava

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
This all gives me a little glimmer of hope for Arlington Park still. Because if they fail to get the public cash, they may come back to AP.

And while the Arlington Park project will cost as much money...if not more, they can drag other investors in to this up front to help pay for it. For instance, cutting deals in advance with hotel chains, restaurants, etc. that will build on prime spots near the dome. This will be interesting how it evolves.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Murphy at #9 is a reach IMO

If he is pick at #9 it will be massive disappointment

And if Odunze is sitting there and Bears pass it will be undefendable

Also this draft is pretty deep at DT

Bears can land a solid DT in 2nd round (If they pickup a pick) or 3rd round

Reactions: Praetorian Caps

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
The more I read and think aboutnit. Im findjng it harder to see the three WR falling (ARZ, NYG, LAC, TEN).

In that case Id be all over Bowers, or the trade back for Oline help/DT

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
The more I read and think aboutnit. Im findjng it harder to see the three WR falling (ARZ, NYG, LAC, TEN).

In that case Id be all over Bowers, or the trade back for Oline help/DT
They will all be gone by 9.

Going to be Murphy it appears.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Even with the rumors of Murphy possibly being the pick at #9, I haven't seen any news about Bears meeting Murphy through a Top-30 visit, at the combine or even, for example Poles/Flus attending the Texas pro day. I'm having trouble finding news of the Bears meeting with any DT prospect. It's been overwhelmingly WR, IOL, OT and edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad