OT: Bears & NFL Talk 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Assuming MHJ/Nabers/Odunze are gone at #9, how far are you comfortable dropping down? I'd imagine they'd want a pass rusher, which probably means one of Turner, Verse, Latu and Murphy (at 3T).

With MIN signaling that they're going QB, I think it's fair to say that the first five picks of the draft are 4 QBs and MHJ, with MIN trading either for #4 or #5. I think we should sprint to the podium for any of Rome, Nabers, or Turner. So all it takes is a team taking Alt (which it looks like the Titans could) or another tackle for us to get our pick of the top-tier of prospects at premium positions. If by some chance all of MHJ, Nabers, Turner, and Rome are off the board at #9, I think we should take a long look at Bowers. Dude's basically a receiver, and Waldron loves to play with 2 TEs. An offense with DJ Moore, Keenan Allen, Cole Kmet, Brock Bowers, and DAndre Swift on the field at once is pretty scary, with 5 legitimate receiving threats and solid blockers.

I'm also interested in Murphy. So I guess the only trade down I'd be okay with is 11 or 12 if you're pretty confident that the team trading up is taking a tackle.

Reactions: Pez68

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Waldron came from the Rams and they had not used 2TE. Under Carroll Seattle was a power run team, so 2 TE worked better for them, but when they drafted JSN, they needed to get him onto the field. Felt that they were better suited to have traded down a bit to allow another club wanting a WR and then draft someone like Mayer who fit Seattle's style more than a WR3.

So, IMO, hard to say that Waldron prefers a 2TE system. But, that may be a better Offence to run with a young QB.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Very much so

Not a shocking take from a guy who famously had entire locker room turn on him for how he was acting and support his backup
Pretty sure there is now jealousy with RG3 looking at the nearly $400 mill that Cousins will have made in his career before he retires. RG3 got $33.2 mill over 8 seasons in the NFL.

For him Mike Shanahan never wanted him so kind of tells you the dysfunction. STL felt that the package to pair with Bradford was better than drafting RG3 and dealing Bradford. Not sure who else that draft would have made sense to move up to get RG3.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Am I the only one who still thinks best option for Bears is to get trade haul from Washington and take Maye?
Probably one of the only ones to be honest.

If you think Williams is the best quarterback you take him, full stop. If they think Maye is the best you take him 1. Stop playing chicken with the QB position.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Am I the only one who still thinks best option for Bears is to get trade haul from Washington and take Maye?
I think you are making too much of Kliff as the OC. Quinn is the HC. I mean, a good year by the offense and Kliff is gone as OC to a HC job.

Wash is a team that needs to replenish the DE position among other positions. Forbes was not good last year at CB. Maybe Quinn's system will work better for him or they need more help in the secondary. Wash is just better off running with either Maye/Daniels and replenishing the roster.

They are up to a pair of 2nds and 3 3rds to have 6 selections in the top 100. For a team coming off the season they are, they could sit the QB for a while with Marriotta at QB, but need both 2nds to play and should be looking at sub-package contributions from the 3 guys from round 3 this season or possibly a starter in that trio.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_8044.jpeg

One year deal

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Actually, I advocated for Maye and Daniels thru year not Williams

I believe Maye has everything you want in QB and think if he played for better program people would be pushing him more heavily.

I am still not sold on Williams as the guy Bears should select

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Actually, I advocated for Maye and Daniels thru year not Williams

I believe Maye has everything you want in QB and think if he played for better program people would be pushing him more heavily.

I am still not sold on Williams as the guy Bears should select
All 3 QBs are going to Defensive HC. So, the QB development falls to Waldron, Kingsbury and Van Pelt as the OC. Quinn and Mayo have about a 3 year runway, so they can afford to sit their guy for most of the kid's rookie year. Eberflus is into year 3, so his runway isn't as long. He needs results. That is a legit concern as it's not great to have to replace the HC after a QB's rookie year. But, Chicago has the most weapons. So, need OL to hold up.

All 3 have questions. Which is why, there isn't a great reason for Wash or NE to swap picks. If Chi opts to take someone other than Wiliams, that's their evaluation.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I don't think Maye will start game 1 next season. I do think he has good tools, but he's raw. He misses more throws than any of the other 5 top QBs, except possibly McCarthy if you force him to throw to the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad