GDT: Bears at Flames: Dec 15, 7pm MT on SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I am always wondering how people keep underrating Monahan...Some how players around the same age can continue to develop but when it comes to Monahan, they assume he has already peaked 3 yrs ago...:laugh:

Even guy who scored half as much is somehow assumed to be better down the road.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think you're bang on with this.

When I criticize him, it's more based on the lofty expectations of a high draft pick. It's not to say he's not going to be a good player. Ultimately, the first couple of years have been about hyper-analysis to see if we got a star or not. We could still be wrong on that, but I don't think he'll be that elite player many were thinking he might be..

Yes. I see a very skilled player, but the term elite in my mind is reserved for a very select few. It's a term I feel is thrown around quite loosely.

He has good tools and should he put everything together he has the chance to be a very good player. As others have mentioned he needs to find that middle ground for strength vs. speed, but I don't think that's a long term issue either.

As with all, or most young players it takes some feeling out, even after they've had initial success to translate it into sustainable and consistent impact.

So I'm that sense, I don't think a Bennett to Backes comparison is spot on, but a physical, two way, 50-60 point player is a realistic projection IMO. Obviously Bennett has more speed and skill than Backes and likely a better ability to drive a line.

LUV Carti*

Mar 3, 2017
Kiss Land
Yes. I see a very skilled player, but the term elite in my mind is reserved for a very select few. It's a term I feel is thrown around quite loosely.

He has good tools and should he put everything together he has the chance to be a very good player. As others have mentioned he needs to find that middle ground for strength vs. speed, but I don't think that's a long term issue either.

As with all, or most young players it takes some feeling out, even after they've had initial success to translate it into sustainable and consistent impact.

So I'm that sense, I don't think a Bennett to Backes comparison is spot on, but a physical, two way, 50-60 point player is a realistic projection IMO. Obviously Bennett has more speed and skill than Backes and likely a better ability to drive a line.

6'3 220lb David Backes? Bennett will never have his frame. That's just a weird comparison. Maybe you were thinking more of a Mike Richards type?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Bennett will evolve into a Solid two way Center eventually.

If he becomes Ryan Kesler or Ryan O'Reilly then we are laughing.

I do worry about his Offensive abilities though at times but hopefully he figures that put.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I think Bennett will evolve into a Solid two way Center eventually.

If he becomes Ryan Kesler or Ryan O'Reilly then we are laughing.

I do worry about his Offensive abilities though at times but hopefully he figures that put.

He's got good offensive instincts just needs to stop being Johnny Hockey when entering the Ozone.

Though in the Boston game a lot of players were guilty of that (ie Brodie turnover)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
He's got good offensive instincts just needs to stop being Johnny Hockey when entering the Ozone.

Though in the Boston game a lot of players were guilty of that (ie Brodie turnover)

I do think 'better' wingers would help Bennett a lot. I agree though, he needs to stop trying to do everything himself and make better use of his linemates.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Drouin was never written off, that's why he's still a member of the Lightning and that's why there was so much interest in him when it was rumoured he wanted out. Much like Drouin, it's very possible that Bennett could have benefited from some time at the AHL level.

Well, obviously not officially written off. But trust me, I'm a regular lurker on Tampa's boards and it was more than tough for 2-3 years there for Jonathon. Even some of his pushback to being sent down, and then him eventually going down, that got him to where he is now. It reminds me of Sam's early injuries and him stating early on that he didn't want to go down and that he intended to make the big club. I guess my point more than anything, is that there were many, major questions whether Drouin could be a star at the NHL level with consistency. It feels quite similar to the consistency issues surrounding Sam.

Anyway, I definitely see parallels between the young players.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I am always wondering how people keep underrating Monahan...Some how players around the same age can continue to develop but when it comes to Monahan, they assume he has already peaked 3 yrs ago...:laugh:

Even guy who scored half as much is somehow assumed to be better down the road.

I'm sure posters in here know I've compared him to Trevor Linden. That's who I see him as from start to finish. Solid first or second line center who'll score 30-40 goals (maybe top 40 once or twice) for the next 10 - 12 years. Solid, but not a superstar. Sometimes Mony's hands look like sandbags lol. Other times he looks really good. Nothing wrong with a Linden mold.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I understand the comparison you were trying to make, but it's just weird considering they play literally nothing alike

I was talking impact, not play style. Which I thought I highlighted quite well by saying the point range and abilities that I was comparing between them, as well as the differences between the two.

Not only that, but stating I knew it wasn't a great comparison.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was talking impact, not play style. Which I thought I highlighted quite well by saying the point range and abilities that I was comparing between them, as well as the differences between the two.

Not only that, but stating I knew it wasn't a great comparison.

I wasn't confused at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad