Bears and NFL Talk Thread LIII: Countdown to the Preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Although its silly to talk about before the combine, McShay put out his first mock today and had the Bears taking Calvin Ridley

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
WR that high scares me. It seems like there's a decent bust rate with them, although I have no idea if that's backed up by the numbers.

All else being equal, I'd love a franchise LT or a defensive stud with a WR in the 2nd and another one later in the draft.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
WR that high scares me. It seems like there's a decent bust rate with them, although I have no idea if that's backed up by the numbers.

All else being equal, I'd love a franchise LT or a defensive stud with a WR in the 2nd and another one later in the draft.

Agree, definitely team WR in the 2nd round.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I see Kevin White has scared a few posters here. :laugh: I'm a way bigger fan of Ridley than White coming out so I wouldn't mind at all. But I agree, the Bears should go OT, CB, DE in the draft. The WR FA class is strong this offseason. Get your WR (and S depth) there.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Bill Barnwell ranked the 10 potential coaching vacancies and had the Bears as the 3rd most appealing opening...

If you want your Rams analogue for this upcoming offseason, it's lurking in the Midway. The Bears have their own struggling rookie quarterback in Mitchell Trubisky. He has actually played better than Goff did last season, but teams around the league were more confident about Goff than they were about the Bears' 2017 first-round selection.
Get Trubisky going and this roster suddenly looks appetizing. The defense has quietly leaped above league average for the first time since 2012, per DVOA, although it has been masked by the league's second-toughest slate of opposing offensive attacks. The Bears have an impressive offensive line when everyone is healthy, one of the best one-two running back duos in football, and should have $65 million to spend this offseason after cutting Mike Glennon.
I would be worried, though, about spending that money with Ryan Pace as general manager. The Bears might be coming off the worst free-agent period since the Dream Team Eagles, which included letting Alshon Jeffery leave without a franchise tag so they could give $18.5 million to Glennon instead. Dion Sims (three years, $18 million) has 13 catches in 11 games. Marcus Cooper(three years, $16 million) fumbled away a would-be return touchdown against the Steelers, was subsequently torched and benched, and has barely been seen since. Markus Wheaton (two years, $11 million) had one catch in eight games before being put on IR. Prince Amukamara has been their best big-money signing, and he's on a one-year deal.
Coincidentally, the Bears need to follow the Rams' model and get Trubisky some weapons at receiver this offseason. If they had a passing game right now, they might be on the fringes of playoff contention.

Barnwell: Ranking the NFL's best and worst potential coach openings

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I would not take Ridley in top 5, but top 10, yes. Ridley is not Kevin White (1 yr wonder with injuries) or David Terrell (vastly overrated), and it's lazy to compare him to those two. If Ridley is there at 7-8-9, the Bears should and imo will take him if he is the BPA.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I would not take Ridley in top 5, but top 10, yes. Ridley is not Kevin White (1 yr wonder with injuries) or David Terrell (vastly overrated), and it's lazy to compare him to those two. If Ridley is there at 7-8-9, the Bears should and imo will take him if he is the BPA.

I know that its not everything, but have to see how he runs before I judge him. If posts a 4.55 I'm not touching him, if he runs a 4.35 he's probably a top 5 pick.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Why did the bears cut Houston? I think he has a sack in every game since he has been back.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Foxball is back after letting it fly in Cincy. Fox thinks he can actually win out and save his job or something. Detroit also running the ball well, which they never do.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Your team is 4-9 and you get ball inside 30 with TO left and 12 sec

No shot at endzone ,, Settling for FG

God I hate this coach

Should have taken a shot at endzone on that pass instead of a simple short dumpoff that barely moved ball for FG attempt

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
John Fox is on cusp of Chicago Bears history

No coach in franchise history has ever had three straight seasons of 10 or more losses

Franchise has been around for nearly a century (98th season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad