GDT: Battle in the Basement | Columbus @ Ottawa | 7 PM EST

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I don't know what that means. He's scoring and playing physical. Doing what we ask him to do, one of the only players on the team that we can say that about. He'll take a penalty too, but he's always done that when he's on his game.
I just feel like he is shouldering more of the offensive load than he should. I think he's been great after all he has been through this year. I guess I wish we had a few more of our more offensively talented guys with his level of compete.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just feel like he is shouldering more of the offensive load than he should. I think he's been great after all he has been through this year. I guess I wish we had a few more of our more offensively talented guys with his level of compete.

He's so damn good at scoring in the dirty areas - I think even on some of the best teams in the league, that would be his job, on the PP and in the top six as a net front guy.

The old idea that Boone is only scoring because we're just shoehorning a third liner onto the topline, is just blind to what the player is actually showing us. He's exactly where he should be right now.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
He's so damn good at scoring in the dirty areas - I think even on some of the best teams in the league, that would be his job, on the PP and in the top six as a net front guy.

The old idea that Boone is only scoring because we're just shoehorning a third liner onto the topline, is just blind to what the player is actually showing us. He's exactly where he should be right now.
No disagreement here.

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
1 goal in SHG (because of Provorov's injury), 1 in PPG (stupid mistake)

Vincent can be blamed for tactics, PP (although Recchi is in charge of that) in the games, but I doubt that the tactical plan took account Johnny's foolishly losing the puck twice, including once on PP and Provorov's injury. There are three goals. So 5-3=2.

Marchenko can't even hit an empty soccer net, figuratively speaking, although he has chances. 3 goals against Buffalo and next 2 goals in 19 games, all in PP.

I'm not going to count the lineup.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Been a bit of a snoozer here in the 3rd. I love Jenner, but watching, I really feel like they are asking and he is trying to do to much.

I don't know what that means. He's scoring and playing physical. Doing what we ask him to do, one of the only players on the team that we can say that about. He'll take a penalty too, but he's always done that when he's on his game.
I think they are putting too much pressure on him to carry te offense. He had 26:42 in ice time last night. Even more than Werenski,

That is an insane amount for a forward. There zero trust for any other forward on this team and this is a problem. Where is the accountability when you just pile more work on a guy while the others can half ass their jobs?

How many people have worked in an office environment where management just piles more work on their favorites who work hard while others can skate by being mediocre?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
So yet another game with lots of odd man rushes , poor defensive structure , and not a damn question as to how McCarthy , who was appointed last minute, after Lefabve refused to get the vax and was fired , continues to collect a paycheck here . Defense has been one of league worst for 3 years , and we blame the goalies .

Where are your beat reporters that have a voice on this topic. I’ve yet to see an article questioning the job McCarthy is/ isn’t doing . People lazily criticize the powerplay, or goalies in posts.. media does the same thing.

Your coaching staff consist of Boll, McCarthy, Recci. Is that setting up your head coach/ and the players for success ?

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I didn’t watch but it sounds like we looked competent against the 2nd worst team in the Eastern Conference except when we didn’t, and we are punishing Boone for being our best player by not trading him and overworking him.

Glad I attended a boring ass meeting held by a civic organization last night. Normally I would have skipped the meeting, but the alternative was watching the Jackets and/or OSU men’s basketball team, and I don’t think I could have handled that.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
. People lazily criticize the powerplay, or goalies in posts.. media does the same thing.
Didn’t you criticize Werenski on the powerplay in this thread?

As for McCarthy, I agree. No idea why we ran it back with him. Had no idea why Babcock was willing to run it back with all the staff (although thankfully he did keep Vincent).

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

As for McCarthy, I agree. No idea why we ran it back with him. Had no idea why Babcock was willing to run it back with all the staff (although thankfully he did keep Vincent).
McCarthy has been given several different defensive groups and none have performed well. While none of those groups may be considered well constructed, he is the common denominator. He’s also in charge of the Pk, an abysmal unit that’s a complete failure.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
That's what I assume. So how do the other young players learn if Boone is being overworked with that many minutes?
I am not sure that he will get that many minutes consistantly. I didn't watch a lot of the game last night switching between CBJ and the Monsters game, but looking how the minutes ended up, he was just a victim of being a guy that can play full strength and special teams well. Nine minutes of special teams time is a lot. Unfortunately we are missing a couple guys who could have eaten into those minutes, and Danforth has run into a rough patch and didn't see any time.

I think this game may have been a one off type for Jenner, but being one of the better parts on a team full of parts, he is probably going to get a lot of the work dumped on him. Hopefully some others pick it up, but it doesn't look like it will be this year.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Um no… I criticized Werenski ... a defenseman .. said if he wasn’t going to shoot when it’s teed up multiple times for him , to take him off the powerplay … Wonder who coaches our defenseman ? Nice try though Bud 😂

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I am not sure that he will get that many minutes consistantly. I didn't watch a lot of the game last night switching between CBJ and the Monsters game, but looking how the minutes ended up, he was just a victim of being a guy that can play full strength and special teams well. Nine minutes of special teams time is a lot. Unfortunately we are missing a couple guys who could have eaten into those minutes, and Danforth has run into a rough patch and didn't see any time.

I think this game may have been a one off type for Jenner, but being one of the better parts on a team full of parts, he is probably going to get a lot of the work dumped on him. Hopefully some others pick it up, but it doesn't look like it will be this year.
You have our 2 of our best offensive players out in Chinakov , and Fantilli … there is a glaring hole at center , so Boone will be overused and probably miss the last 10 games because his back hurts so bad .. It really is hard to generate offense in the NHL without good center play .

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Um no… I criticized Werenski ... a defenseman .. said if he wasn’t going to shoot when it’s teed up multiple times for him , to take him off the powerplay … Wonder who coaches our defenseman ? Nice try though Bud 😂
“didn’t you criticize Werenski?”

“No I criticized Werenski.”

Oh ok.

My point is, it’s not “lazy” posting to critique the powerplay.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
“didn’t you criticize Werenski?”

“No I criticized Werenski.”

Oh ok.
You edited your post .. initially said didn’t you criticize the powerplay in this thread … Nice try though.. and regardless , my post in this thread said if Zach isn’t going to shoot get him off the powerplay .. but sure you got me .. I was lazily blaming the powerplay , and not McCarthy who gets a pass by the media, fanbase .. bottom line , our coaches aren’t set up to succeed when you look at the staff put around them , but let’s blame the goalie , powerplay , etc

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
You edited your post .. initially said didn’t you criticize the powerplay in this thread … Nice try though.. and regardless , my post in this thread said if Zach isn’t going to shoot get him off the powerplay .. but sure you got me .. I was lazily blaming the powerplay , and not McCarthy who gets a pass by the media, fanbase .. bottom line , our coaches aren’t set up to succeed when you look at the staff put around them , but let’s blame the goalie , powerplay , etc
I edited my post to add the note at the end agreeing with on McCarthy. I edited nothing about the top line about the powerplay.

I think it’s a collection of things. The coaching, being one of the top things. The powerplay is not only a reflection on the coaching but also the players. It’s been bad forever, with various coaches, and players.

We’re on the same side. I just had a problem with your messaging.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
You have our 2 of our best offensive players out in Chinakov , and Fantilli … there is a glaring hole at center , so Boone will be overused and probably miss the last 10 games because his back hurts so bad .. It really is hard to generate offense in the NHL without good center play .
Yeah, getting those two back would help as we could get better guys on PP2 and split the time up better. Plus, not having Laine doesn't help.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00