Bassin confirms a side deal was made with an Otters player

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
What is wrong with not signing an NHL Contract, going to school for four years, play CIS hockey and then turn pro after your education?

Why is the ones on the CHL to bend over backwards to give players everything they want on their time frame?

We have become so much of a "me" society it is sickening.

How about hockey players make the same sacrifices as other people? If they were slightly less talented and played in Junior "A" they would get nothing!

Why are the rules never good enough? Why do we always feel the need to push for more?

How about looking at what they DO GET? They get an education while playing hockey. They can attend classes if they wish. They get high level coaching and development. They get all of their sport expenses paid. They get all of their living expenses paid. They get all of their transportation expenses covered. They get insurance for career ending injuries.

Ask any parent how much it costs for one year of high level hockey in Bantam and Peewee. The hockey and equipment expenses alone is well over $10,000 per year.

A young man gets an opportunity of a lifetime to play their sport at a high level and not have to cover any up front costs and that is not enough? It is ridiculous.

If they went NCAA on a full ride scholarship, they actually get LESS than a CHL player.

How much money does the Olympics generate? How much money do athletes get? ZERO. How much money is spent developing that athlete? Hundreds of Thousands of dollars in many cases.

Hockey players should be happy that they are playing a sport where their high level development is free.

Best response I have seen yet. We are a society of spoiled kids and more, more, more attitudes. And the parents of these kids just make that attitude acceptable.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What is wrong with not signing an NHL Contract, going to school for four years, play CIS hockey and then turn pro after your education?

Why is the ones on the CHL to bend over backwards to give players everything they want on their time frame?

How about hockey players make the same sacrifices as other people? If they were slightly less talented and played in Junior "A" they would get nothing!

Why are the rules never good enough? Why do we always feel the need to push for more?

How about looking at what they DO GET? They get an education while playing hockey. They can attend classes if they wish. They get high level coaching and development. They get all of their sport expenses paid. They get all of their living expenses paid. They get all of their transportation expenses covered. They get insurance for career ending injuries.

Ask any parent how much it costs for one year of high level hockey in Bantam and Peewee. The hockey and equipment expenses alone is well over $10,000 per year.

A young man gets an opportunity of a lifetime to play their sport at a high level and not have to cover any up front costs and that is not enough? It is ridiculous.

If they went NCAA on a full ride scholarship, they actually get LESS than a CHL player.

How much money does the Olympics generate? How much money do athletes get? ZERO. How much money is spent developing that athlete? Hundreds of Thousands of dollars in many cases.

Hockey players should be happy that they are playing a sport where their high level development is free.

The sacrifices these hockey players make in the CHL? How about leaving home at 16 years of age?

The problem is organizations get off hook when these players graduate high school. It isn't mandatory these players attend college/university. Kind of debunks the myth of Branch when he says these are student athletes.

These are for profit organizations. Quite frankly if I was a high level player and saw the organization I play for selling a shirsey with my name on the back of it and not getting a single cent out of it I would be livid. At the end of the day they're making a very nice dime off teenagers and exploiting them during their teen years.

Are OHL organizations allowed to pay for players personal training in the offseason when they're away from the team? The only reason I ask this is numerous OHL players train at my gym and they're at the gym Mon-Fri for an hour session which is around $50 per session. So for one week it's around $282.50 if that's on the players/parents dime the organizations need to do more for the kid. I have seen these kids since the first week of May which is probably over $3300 or more taking you to some point in August. Upside of NCAA is their scholarship covers summer classes which they can stay on campus and train for free.

Last edited:

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
The sacrifices these hockey players make in the CHL? How about leaving home at 16 years of age?

The problem is organizations get off hook when these players graduate high school. It isn't mandatory these players attend college/university. Kind of debunks the myth of Branch when he says these are student athletes.

These are for profit organizations. Quite frankly if I was a high level player and saw the organization I play for selling a shirsey with my name on the back of it and not getting a single cent out of it I would be livid. At the end of the day they're making a very nice dime off teenagers and exploiting them during their teen years.

Are OHL organizations allowed to pay for players personal training in the offseason when they're away from the team? The only reason I ask this is numerous OHL players train at my gym and they're at the gym Mon-Fri for an hour session which is around $50 per session. So for one week it's around $282.50 if that's on the players/parents dime the organizations need to do more for the kid. I have seen these kids since the first week of May which is probably over $3300 or more taking you to some point in August. Upside of NCAA is their scholarship covers summer classes which they can stay on campus and train for free.

Exploiting may be the wrong term. Albeit not monetary these players receive lots of other perks, expenses paid for, etc.. in return.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

In the OHL, they get $1,000 for offseason training.

I don't think there's any argument that the teams are gaining a benefit by having players play for them. But I also don't think there's any argument that players gain a benefit by playing in the CHL, whether it's high level training, all the other perks, and having a pro career when they're done, or having their university paid for.

Both sides make sacrifices, both sides gain. Why are the players supposedly hard done by, and the teams are the evil moneymakers?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head. The player makes a conscious choice to leave home at 16 if the opportunity presents itself. This s no different than any other high level teenage athlete. National training centres for many sports exist in only a very few places. National development for amateur athletes exist in certain cities and athletes are expected to relocate to those cities if they want the benefit of that training.

For example, if you are an aspiring skier or luge athlete, you need to relocate to the centres that the coaching and facilities exist. If that athlete does not have help from private sponsorship, they are on the hook for all expenses associated to their training and development.

Same goes for figure skaters, swimmers etc...

So, while there is whining over having to pay personal trainers and gym memberships to the tune of $3k, just imagine how much it costs the high level amateur athlete to not only have those same expenses (12 months a year) but also paying coaches and facility time. IT pales in comparison. And it's not like they don't charge admission prices to these competition events where amateur athletes compete.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Exploiting may be the wrong term. Albeit not monetary these players receive lots of other perks, expenses paid for, etc.. in return.

But the expenses paid are as a result of things they're obliged to do in the course of playing for the team. The billets are paid; however, team selection is through a draft so players are often obliged to move from their home to play (i.e. they can't just choose the OHL team nearest to them and live at home for free). Hotels and transportation are paid; however, the players are obliged to go on road trip where they have to stay over night on the road. Equipment is paid for; however the equipment is necessary to play. How much of these are really "perks" if they're necessary for the players to perform the duties that they're contractually obligated to?

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head. The player makes a conscious choice to leave home at 16 if the opportunity presents itself. This s no different than any other high level teenage athlete. National training centres for many sports exist in only a very few places. National development for amateur athletes exist in certain cities and athletes are expected to relocate to those cities if they want the benefit of that training.

For example, if you are an aspiring skier or luge athlete, you need to relocate to the centres that the coaching and facilities exist. If that athlete does not have help from private sponsorship, they are on the hook for all expenses associated to their training and development.

Same goes for figure skaters, swimmers etc...

So, while there is whining over having to pay personal trainers and gym memberships to the tune of $3k, just imagine how much it costs the high level amateur athlete to not only have those same expenses (12 months a year) but also paying coaches and facility time. IT pales in comparison. And it's not like they don't charge admission prices to these competition events where amateur athletes compete.

These athletes you're describing also have considerable discretion over where and when they train; who coaches them; and how they make use of their time/lives when they are not actually training.

The athletes can also obtain sponsorships and receive government support.

When they compete at events, there is often prize money involved.

In other ways, there are many ways for the athlete to offset the cost of training.

Playing junior hockey and training as a figure skater/skier are not analogous situations.

Do not forget the development money the leagues receive from the NHL.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
But the expenses paid are as a result of things they're obliged to do in the course of playing for the team. The billets are paid; however, team selection is through a draft so players are often obliged to move from their home to play (i.e. they can't just choose the OHL team nearest to them and live at home for free). Hotels and transportation are paid; however, the players are obliged to go on road trip where they have to stay over night on the road. Equipment is paid for; however the equipment is necessary to play. How much of these are really "perks" if they're necessary for the players to perform the duties that they're contractually obligated to?

Junior A and B and C players pay for their equipment. They are drafted into the league and often play outside of their own community. They are not compensated.

AAA Peewee and Bantam players play tournaments out of town on a regular basis. Their parents front all the money for that with the exception of small sponsorship amounts. When a player decides to "tryout" for these top flight PeeWee and Bantam teams, their parents are given a sheet of responsibilities and a list of expenses and a payment schedule to pay for the outlined schedule. At 12 years old the players are subject to strenuous workloads and responsibilities and they are not compensated, they pay through the teeth for that development opportunity.

These athletes you're describing also have considerable discretion over where and when they train; who coaches them; and how they make use of their time/lives when they are not actually training.

The athletes can also obtain sponsorships and receive government support.

When they compete at events, there is often prize money involved.

In other ways, there are many ways for the athlete to offset the cost of training.

Playing junior hockey and training as a figure skater/skier are not analogous situations.

Government support is through the carding system. To be eligible the athlete needs to obtain a level of National and International ranking before they can obtain funding. The amounts are for living expenses only so basically rent and food. They don't cover training whatsoever.

Sponsorships. Again, are only afforded to those that have excelled on the World stage and are few and far between.

Olympic athletes are amateur; therefore, their events do not provide "prize money." Very high level athletes may receive appearance fees but, again, those are very few and far between.

Go online and search for "hardships for amateur athletes" and read up on the difficulties they have clawing their way to the top of their respective sports and how much debt they rack up or how much money out of pocket their families shell out supporting them.

Do not forget the development money the leagues receive from the NHL.

Those monies are only given based on draft pick status. Draft pick status has a lot to do with development of the player and subsequent opportunities at a pro career.

We all can go around in circles making our points for one side or the other. There is no doubt that $60 per week is silly. They should get about the same amount as a kid working 15-20 hours per week part time. I think we can all pretty much agree on that, especially since the per dime has not changed in over 20 years.

We can argue about how long the player should have to utilize their scholarship. Personally, I say the shorter the better since life pressures get in the way the older we get which may hamper the player's ability to go back to school. Many get married, have kids and all of a sudden have a family to support. So to suggest a 25 or 26 year old should be able to use their scholarship is rather obtuse.

One of the players I admire most is Dan Tudin. He was a really late draft pick of the Ottawa 67's and didn't get a sniff of playing time first year. After a couple seasons riding the pine he got an opportunity in training camp to play with Dan Tessier. They clicked and played two years together forming a formidable line with the 67's. Dan went on to play four years at Dalhousie and received an Honours Degree. He turned pro after school and played a couple years in the ECHL before going to play in Italy. He has now played 10 years for Ritten Renon.

Dan Tudin should be the example that other players follow. It is far more likely the player has success in the same fashion as Dan Tudin. When the numbers are stacked against you, take advantage of the scholarship, go to school, play hockey and continue to develop. Graduate, turn pro and take your shot at 23 or 24. If you have talent, your will be in demand. Maybe not an NHL talent but still playing hockey for $80k per year in a half season in Europe with expenses paid is a great alternative.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Junior A and B and C players pay for their equipment. They are drafted into the league and often play outside of their own community. They are not compensated.

It could be possible that those players should also be paid. Maybe someone will sue and we'll find out.

AAA Peewee and Bantam players play tournaments out of town on a regular basis. Their parents front all the money for that with the exception of small sponsorship amounts. When a player decides to "tryout" for these top flight PeeWee and Bantam teams, their parents are given a sheet of responsibilities and a list of expenses and a payment schedule to pay for the outlined schedule. At 12 years old the players are subject to strenuous workloads and responsibilities and they are not compensated, they pay through the teeth for that development opportunity.

If I understand correctly, you believe that being a AAA peewee player is analogous to being a major junior player?

The fact that someone is involved in an extra curricular activity that takes time and costs money is not what has the potential to create the employer/employee relationship.

Government support is through the carding system. To be eligible the athlete needs to obtain a level of National and International ranking before they can obtain funding. The amounts are for living expenses only so basically rent and food. They don't cover training whatsoever.

Yet it is not available to OHL players (including those who compete internationally).

Sponsorships. Again, are only afforded to those that have excelled on the World stage and are few and far between.

But it is available.

Olympic athletes are amateur; therefore, their events do not provide "prize money." Very high level athletes may receive appearance fees but, again, those are very few and far between.

I'm not sure why you think that. FINA, ISU, FIS, and other bodies do in fact pay "prize money" to the winners of international events.

Go online and search for "hardships for amateur athletes" and read up on the difficulties they have clawing their way to the top of their respective sports and how much debt they rack up or how much money out of pocket their families shell out supporting them.

And? Those "amateur athletes" do not devote their entire time to a single entity that is in the business of making profit and are able to maintain a level of control over their training, competing, and development that junior hockey players do not enjoy.

Those monies are only given based on draft pick status. Draft pick status has a lot to do with development of the player and subsequent opportunities at a pro career.

The money is distributed by the NHL to the CHL as per an agreement. The NHL does not control how the CHL distributes the money.

As far as "draft pick status" it also has a lot to do with the natural ability of the players.

We all can go around in circles making our points for one side or the other. There is no doubt that $60 per week is silly. They should get about the same amount as a kid working 15-20 hours per week part time. I think we can all pretty much agree on that, especially since the per dime has not changed in over 20 years.

We can argue about how long the player should have to utilize their scholarship. Personally, I say the shorter the better since life pressures get in the way the older we get which may hamper the player's ability to go back to school. Many get married, have kids and all of a sudden have a family to support. So to suggest a 25 or 26 year old should be able to use their scholarship is rather obtuse.

Why is it "obtuse" to say a 25 or 26 year old who wishes to go to university should be able to use it?

Since the CHL has relaxed the rules regarding the use of the scholarships a bit, has the number of players expected to use them decreased?

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
If we all agree (we don't, but play along for a moment) that players are either already adequately looked after or would be following a few minor tweaks, we are still left with Sherry Bassin procuring a player's exclusive services by way of financial inducement clearly spelled out in a signed contract.

Nobody forced Bassin to do this.

He owned and managed the Erie team and surely, as a then-69 year-old businessman with over 40 years in the junior hockey business, knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it. He has admitted to the press that he did it, though he also takes a remarkably juvenile swipe at the player who dared to expose him.

So why did this venerable and wizened hockey executive do it? Was it to get the player signed? To help the team improve?

Or was it because -- and I'll quote directly from his 2009 Toronto Star interview, provided just 3 days before he inked the deal -- he knew he could get away with it?

"Sherry Bassin, chair of the OHL board of governors, said no one has been caught tampering with the draft or for providing excess benefits. But every year the rumours grow - especially against the top-level teams who have more to offer - but no one has yet produced the hard proof required to convict."

This is in 2009. Read his words again: "no one has been caught."

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Is this accurate? I wasn't aware that Junior B & C players were drafted. It's been a long time since I as associated with the Junior B & C leagues, but my experience was that a player had to play within the assigned territory of his home town and if he wished to play for another team he had to obtain a release from that club.

CC87

Nov 16, 2011
Is this accurate? I wasn't aware that Junior B & C players were drafted. It's been a long time since I as associated with the Junior B & C leagues, but my experience was that a player had to play within the assigned territory of his home town and if he wished to play for another team he had to obtain a release from that club.

It isn't consistent across North America. Some leagues draft, others don't.

The extreme may be the Ottawa based CCHL. Players are drafted in Bantam, and are at the CCHL clubs 'property' through both midget and junior, with the expectation being that they will play and pay within that system.

The interesting part is that the players pay significant sums, and the teams and owners turn a profit, and have franchises with 'values' that aren't insignificant.

I find it surprising that the USHL model is seldom criticized as well. Many USHL teams draw a gate as good as or greater than CHL teams, but, they provide no compensation beyond that such as room and board and equipment. You would think that they at least would be expected to bump up a player who receives only a partial scholarship after leaving the USHL, which is very common.

Make no mistake about it. The players are pawns of a single individual with a vendetta. I can't see many of the ones who are caught up on this battle being better off for it in the end. Sure, there are always things that can be improved on. That being said, the person driving this movement solely wants to tear down the CHL, and that will surely hurt many more kids than it helps.

You only have to look at the "CHLPA's" pro NCAA stance to understand the hypocrisy, as the NCAA is seen as the most significant abuser with regards to the same injustices that the CHL is being accused of.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Correct, for the most part, at least around here.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
If we all agree (we don't, but play along for a moment) that players are either already adequately looked after or would be following a few minor tweaks, we are still left with Sherry Bassin procuring a player's exclusive services by way of financial inducement clearly spelled out in a signed contract.
I don't think anyone can defend Bassin's actions. He's clearly and deliberately gone against the rules. He's no longer in the league, so I'm not sure what sanctions should be placed on him or the Otters - it doesn't seem fair to me to penalize the new ownership/management group for the actions of a former owner, but this crap can't be viewed as okay by the league.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
You only have to look at the "CHLPA's" pro NCAA stance to understand the hypocrisy, as the NCAA is seen as the most significant abuser with regards to the same injustices that the CHL is being accused of.

Call me the King of Conspiracy Theories but who would put it past the NCAA in one form or another is behind this CHLPA?

dogfan

Jun 16, 2009
I really don't know if this is functional or not but, why wouldn't the CHL have differed payments for the players. It's easy to say, hey these are teenage kids away from home and its not smart to just throw money in their pockets.
The CHL could agree to pay players (as an example) $10000 a year. That's almost what they'd make in min. wage plus the team does pay for rent and some for food. The player, however, doesn't get that money right away. It is put into an account run by a financial company. A player can chose to move money into stocks and other area's to increase their return or they can let it sit and accumulate interest.
Over the course of a four year career that would give them over $40000 to cash out on. A good financial adviser would probably net them more.
Now if a player signs an NHL deal it is voided, but if he signs a pro contract that money is held until one year after his pro contract is expires. That gives the player a year to figure out what he wants to do. If he signs a second pro deal the CHL money is voided.
Most of the money voided would go back to the CHL clubs however a percentage could go into a hardship fund for former players that need extra money for school or something.
I think this would really hurt a lot of the CHLPA and NCAA arguments as well as make the CHL the same attractive option for players.

Last edited:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I really don't know if this is functional or not but, why wouldn't the CHL have differed payments for the players. It's easy to say, hey these are teenage kids away from home and its not smart to just throw money in their pockets.
The CHL could agree to pay players (as an example) $10000 a year. That's almost what they'd make in min. wage plus the team does pay for rent and some for food. The player, however, doesn't get that money right away. It is put into an account run by a financial company. A player can chose to move money into stocks and other area's to increase their return or they can let it sit and accumulate interest.
Over the course of a four year career that would give them over $40000 to cash out on. A good financial adviser would probably net them more.
Now if a player signs an NHL deal it is voided, but if he signs a pro contract that money is held until one year after his pro contract is expires. That gives the player a year to figure out what he wants to do. If he signs a second pro deal the CHL money is voided.
Most of the money voided would go back to the CHL clubs however a percentage could go into a hardship fund for former players that need extra money for school or something.
I think this would really hurt a lot of the CHLPA and NCAA arguments as well as make the CHL the same attractive option for players.

A couple of things: Right now, the amount the players receive varies from league to league, but all players get some pay - while the idea of deferred money may address one issue, players do need some spending money while they're playing. I suspect there are tax issues that would need to be dealt with, and I'm not sure how that would work. I love the idea of a hardship fund for former players though - particularly those who were forced to retire due to injury.

Mar 12, 2009
If they sign an NHL contract, isn't the scholarship is null and void? I don't have a problem with that. I also know a lot of people who went to college and received a degree long after they were 20 years old. Making them use the scholarship 18 months after their OHL career is purely a money saver. If the league is really trying to attract American talent, that $7,000 isn't much either. I know Canadian university's are fine institutions with realistic costs (I'm pushing my kids to consider a few of them) but top American university's are gonna cost $20-$60k a year nowadays. $7,000 isn't going real far. I just think considering all the sacrifices these kids make for what in many cases are profitable organizations, that the league could up the scholarship packages A LITTLE and extend the timeframe to use them A LITTLE.

Jeez, really puts things in perspective. I went to a good Canadian University and myself and other people I know graduating complain about the debt we have, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what you have to pay in the U.S.

I think extending the window would be beneficial to players, but I also think they are pretty adequately compensated as is. However, painting them as selfish, bad people for wanting the window extended, and painting the CHL and teams who are running a business as keeping the window small to incentivise players to go to school, rather than being a cost saving measure doesn't really seem like the most objective picture.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
If they sign an NHL contract, isn't the scholarship is null and void? I don't have a problem with that. I also know a lot of people who went to college and received a degree long after they were 20 years old. Making them use the scholarship 18 months after their OHL career is purely a money saver. If the league is really trying to attract American talent, that $7,000 isn't much either. I know Canadian university's are fine institutions with realistic costs (I'm pushing my kids to consider a few of them) but top American university's are gonna cost $20-$60k a year nowadays. $7,000 isn't going real far. I just think considering all the sacrifices these kids make for what in many cases are profitable organizations, that the league could up the scholarship packages A LITTLE and extend the timeframe to use them A LITTLE.

Its been a bit of a failure of reporting on those covering it, but the education packages are based on where you live. As an example, a player within 100 KM/M of Michigan would get the average tuition to attend Michigan for a year. Some American players packages can get to 25/30k a year. They'd loose money if they where to go to a minimum wage system, but those are the exceptions, rather than the rule.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Its been a bit of a failure of reporting on those covering it, but the education packages are based on where you live. As an example, a player within 100 KM/M of Michigan would get the average tuition to attend Michigan for a year. Some American players packages can get to 25/30k a year. They'd loose money if they where to go to a minimum wage system, but those are the exceptions, rather than the rule.

It's called the "Domicile Rule." Your description is accurate.

EasternOntario Fan

Mar 21, 2012
Grass greener?

This topic can be discussed discussed and debated both ways about a million different scenarios, but in reality if a minimum wage guide is ever forced in, that money is just going to come from money already being spent. If I was the League and was mandated by law to pay the players, no biggie
1. Scholarships withdrawn
2. We provide Helmet, gloves, pants and socks--everything else players can pay for
3. Accommodations provided, but players can pay for food
4. No money for training

So to me the money is being spent, it is just a matter of how it is allocated. Will players save that money to go to school later on, some will, but the majority certainly wouldn't.

As for Berg, I believe he feels as if he has been lied to and mistreated, and he should bring any legal actions forward that he fells necessary.

As for Gottzmann, my opinion is he is a weasel, and that is probably as nice as I can put it. He was absolutely fine in receiving extra over the norm, now he wants use that as a springboard to make more money. Having no proof to stand on (except for teams that have been caught and punished), I feel that a lot of teams probably throw a little extra at certain players. But to accept that, and then use it against the team, that is the person that should be shunned by the hockey community.

I also believe that the NCAA would be absolutely thrilled if the CHL was forced down a wage route. My son went the NCAA route and loves it(certainly wasn't OHL material), a few of his friends went the OHL route and none of them seem to have any concerns with how they are compensated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad