Bassin confirms a side deal was made with an Otters player

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think it could open up an interesting can of worms in that players could either REALLY want to say what's been going on, or teams will be that much more quiet about it. I appreciate what Bassin did, though.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Does anyone else feel very underwhelmed? If this is standard to what some "have not" teams are doing then maybe time to loosen the rules a bit?
Sure rules were broken but not even close to what some were saying!
Similar to doing 110 on the 401.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
It's worth noting that all of the players named in the article except Subban haven't played a pro game according to hockey db. So maybe they are just looking for the pay day they thought they had coming from them and didn't end up earning.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
It's worth noting that all of the players named in the article except Subban haven't played a pro game according to hockey db. So maybe they are just looking for the pay day they thought they had coming from them and didn't end up earning.

This doesn’t mean they are not telling the truth. There are more than a few that think this kind of things goes on with some of the teams past and present, but extremely difficult to prove.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Does anyone else feel very underwhelmed? If this is standard to what some "have not" teams are doing then maybe time to loosen the rules a bit?
Sure rules were broken but not even close to what some were saying!
Similar to doing 110 on the 401.

If you're regularly going only 110 on the 401 don't touch the left most lane please.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I am sure if you dig deep enough their is a little dirt in many places throughout the CHL. It will always be around because it is so hard to stop the subtle incentives that go with enticing young men to comply and commit to an organisation..

Mar 12, 2009
Public confirmation to what a lot of people assumed was going on with high profile players.

What kind of damage does this do to the CHL? Any?

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/former-ohl...de-deal-to-lure-player-was-a-mistake-1.521583

I guess do your homework and be 100% sure a guy will be a player if your going to do something like this? If he turns into an OHL scrub, he might go public.

While I don't think these practices by teams are good for the league (if allegations are true), this was my exact thought, especially on the CHL lawsuit. They knew what they were signing up for, but sounds like they felt entitled to a pro career if they played in the CHL, and when it turned out the CHL doesn't turn every mediocre player into a pro, they sued for minimum wage payment.

MisterDB

Apr 5, 2012
What in heck does not playing for a pro team have to do with it, nothing. There probably is a huge percentage of CHL players that do not play in the pros.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
It has everything to do with the players expectation. They thought going in to junior they were stars going on to make millions. For these players in particular that obviously didn't happen so they are seeking the money they feel ENTITLED to elsewhere.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
I think it could open up an interesting can of worms in that players could either REALLY want to say what's been going on, or teams will be that much more quiet about it. I appreciate what Bassin did, though.

Not trying to be sarcastic when I ask, am I missing something? What did Bassin do other than get caught? Is he not going public only because a copy of a back room deal that has his signature on it has been produced as a piece of evidence in a court hearing?

What other choice does he have? He can't possibly deny it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not trying to be sarcastic when I ask, am I missing something? What did Bassin do other than get caught? Is he not going public only because a copy of a back room deal that has his signature on it has been produced as a piece of evidence in a court hearing?

Right, the only reason Bassin came out is because he got caught.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

He could deny it. Why not? "that's a fake document." Poof, denied.

As for the Berg article, two things come to mind...

1. What WERE the terms in the contract regarding that training camp?

2. IF Berg had made a higher level, would he be pursuing this?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
He could deny it. Why not? "that's a fake document." Poof, denied.

As for the Berg article, two things come to mind...

1. What WERE the terms in the contract regarding that training camp?

2. IF Berg had made a higher level, would he be pursuing this?

Ummm that's an actual affidavit sworn by Gottzmann and entered into court. You still think you can deny that??? Did you actually realize that before you made your comment?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Yes. Doesn't mean it can't be re-created.

Re-created on the Erie Otters letterhead, Sherry Bassin signature and everything???? :amazed::amazed::amazed:

Also the fact that it's entered into evidence also means the judge has to judge the authenticity of the document. Do you understand what you're actually saying?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Re-created on the Erie Otters letterhead, Sherry Bassin signature and everything???? :amazed::amazed::amazed:

Also the fact that it's entered into evidence also means the judge has to judge the authenticity of the document. Do you understand what you're actually saying?

Not trying to be a jerk, and I'm sure that particular document is authentic, but that would be soooooo easy to forge if they wanted. It's 2016. I have a family member who's an ex-felon for identity theft and he was doing way more intricate stuff than that 20 years ago. Signatures and all, no problem. Lying in court under oath happens all over this country everyday too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad