Speculation: Barrie

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
All I can say about his year is that I'm left wondering how he ever scored 60 points in a season. I was expecting, at the very least, a Morgan Rielly or Jake Gardiner clone. Someone who may not be the greatest defensively and will make his share of hair-pulling mistakes, but brings an offensive and puck moving dynamism that would really have helped the Leafs right side (which was useless at being able to move the puck). I didn't see any of that this year. He was essentially Justin Holl but better on the PP.

In Colorado he got to play sheltered offensive minutes with the MacKinnon line, and he was absolutely elite and knowing when and where to jump into the play - that's how he got his points. I don't know where anyone got the idea that he was a dynamic puck-moving defenseman - he was always a forward playing defense.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is pretty much it.
upload_2020-8-10_9-19-45.jpeg

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
In Colorado he got to play sheltered offensive minutes with the MacKinnon line, and he was absolutely elite and knowing when and where to jump into the play - that's how he got his points. I don't know where anyone got the idea that he was a dynamic puck-moving defenseman - he was always a forward playing defense.

I am pulling for the Avs this year! Hope you guys win the Cup. Great team and adding Kadri to the Avs feels a lot like adding Kessel to the Pens. He’s a good player. Hoping he doesn’t do anything remotely stupid because the DoPS has it out for him. If Kadri has the same hit that Werenski had on Tavares last night, he’s out for a series or two.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
The fact that this was Dubas' marquee trade this past offseason (unless you want to count that extraordinarily stupid Marleau cap dump) and it blew up so spectacularly in his face shows how good him and his analytics department really are. We gave up a center, who's a pest, loved the city and had a great contract for one year of Tyson "GWG" Barrie and Kerfoot. Why? Because he was a playoff "liability" lol. Hope the crybabies are happy they ran Naz out of town for this.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I am pulling for the Avs this year! Hope you guys win the Cup. Great team and adding Kadri to the Avs feels a lot like adding Kessel to the Pens. He’s a good player. Hoping he doesn’t do anything remotely stupid because the DoPS has it out for him. If Kadri has the same hit that Werenski had on Tavares last night, he’s out for a series or two.

I honestly am not too worried about him doing something stupid and getting suspended. If it happens, it happens - I love his passion regardless. The reason I'm not worried is because the Avs have the depth to deal with it if Kadri is suspended for a series. That's the thing that always boggled my mind with Leafs fans - the general consensus seems to be that him being suspended cost the Leafs a series, which means he was an extremely important player for the team (on the Avs only MacKinnon could legit cost us a series by getting suspended), yet in the next breathe you guys say he had to be traded. That doesn't compute for me. If he's so important to the team, why trade him? Yeah, he might get suspended again, but not likely for the whole season or for the whole playoffs. Heck, even if it was guaranteed he'd get suspended for a playoff series every year, I'd still want him on the team at that cap hit.

If a team can't handle one depth player being out of the lineup (due to injury or suspension) then that team wasn't deep enough to make a run anyway. The whole idea that Kadri had to be traded seems more like emotional reasoning (or giving in to the demands of emotional fans) than logic if you ask me. It was also terrible asset management unless you're convinced that Kadri and Kerfoot are really only 1m apart in value.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Some of us got confused with Flames series last year ... but you are 100% right and give credit to Sakic who knew this better than anyone ... when barrie wanted his 8M Sakic laughed him out of his office

Reactions: Faltorvo

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I honestly am not too worried about him doing something stupid and getting suspended. If it happens, it happens - I love his passion regardless. The reason I'm not worried is because the Avs have the depth to deal with it if Kadri is suspended for a series. That's the thing that always boggled my mind with Leafs fans - the general consensus seems to be that him being suspended cost the Leafs a series, which means he was an extremely important player for the team (on the Avs only MacKinnon could legit cost us a series by getting suspended), yet in the next breathe you guys say he had to be traded. That doesn't compute for me. If he's so important to the team, why trade him? Yeah, he might get suspended again, but not likely for the whole season or for the whole playoffs. Heck, even if it was guaranteed he'd get suspended for a playoff series every year, I'd still want him on the team at that cap hit.

If a team can't handle one depth player being out of the lineup (due to injury or suspension) then that team wasn't deep enough to make a run anyway. The whole idea that Kadri had to be traded seems more like emotional reasoning (or giving in to the demands of emotional fans) than logic if you ask me. It was also terrible asset management unless you're convinced that Kadri and Kerfoot are really only 1m apart in value.

You guys have a great player in Naz. Grit, scoring, can get under the opponents skin and one of the few players on our roster at the time that took pride in the uniform he put on. Hope you guys have a deep run and win one for him

Reactions: 1specter and MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
You guys have a great player in Naz. Grit, scoring, can get under the opponents skin and one of the few players on our roster at the time that took pride in the uniform he put on. Hope you guys have a deep run and win one for him

Thanks brother. We'll take care of your boy.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Holy shit dude, you just nailed it completely. This is EXACTLY how I feel. The whole 'HE HAD TO BE TRADED' narrative is coming from the individuals who are so desperate to salvage anything out of the trade and are ardent Dubas defenders. The funny part is, Dubas didn't even do the trade for that reason, he was legitimately trying to get value to fix a weak area of the team; unfortunately, he brought back a guy that was NOT what the team needed at all, and it's now blown up spectacularly in his face.

Trades should always be about value, unless the player is an absolute cancer that needs to go, which was definitely not the case as Naz was a beloved teammate, or they were handicapping the salary cap, which again you can say isn't the case when Naz was on a sweet deal. Kerfoot only costs 1M less so it's not really a huge saving.

Go Avs Go, I'm definitely rooting for Colorado to win it all.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Great post.

Reactions: MarkT

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I wonder if someone will sign him this fall and for how much. The 8M a year contract ship has sailed, clearly. Long gone.
It is a 50/50 proposition he gets a contract from a very small number of teams ... my guess less than gards got and likely a 1 year prove it deal around 3-4M per

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I want to be too, but man their HFboards fanbase is annoying.
I don't find them that bad. To be honest, I think being a Leafs fan, we're going to get dunked on by every fanbase, it just comes with the territory unfortunately. Plus I would wager that the average Colorado Avalanche fan doesn't give a damn about the Leafs or have a neutral view towards us, HF is more of a bubble.

Much better than cheering for Vancouver or Montreal 'bEcAusE thEY'rE cAnaDiAN', when they would never do the same for us.

Reactions: Merrrlin

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
WHat a terrible trade this was.

Kadri was exactly what we were missing. When you have Jason Spezza being your feistiest player, every one of those overpaid floaters needed to look in the mirror and feel ugly.

Barrie can’t GTFO of here soon enough. Never wanted him, hated the trade then, and nothing has changed. Complete fail by Dubas. Barrie was never a fit.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Some of us made an error in judgement watching 1 series and thinking it could reappear here in TO ... it violates da old saying watch a guy over a season not a series

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Kadri and the trade aside, I really thought Barrie would be a fit in Toronto.

I can't remember the last time I was that wrong about a player. Barrie was borderline worthless here. He didn't click with anyone, never ate minutes, didn't step up when others were hurt, didn't add to the PP, wasn't a difference maker. He was an uninspired, untrustworthy, 3rd pair D.

He was worthless at his best, a detriment at his worst.

I wouldn't extend him for league minimum. I'd rather have Zach Bogosian next season. Good riddance, Barrie. Go away and don't come back.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

Honestly, I think there were just a lot of Naz haters in Toronto that simply didn't like his personality and were glad to see him 'fail'. Pretty much from the get-go, there seemed to be a lot of hate on the kid because of both his style of play (early on he tried to finesse through teams way too often) and his loud personality. As he continued to prove them all wrong year by year, they were relieved when he got suspended for the second year in a row, despite the fact that it was probably the 4th or 5th worst hit in that game, and the fact that he was literally the only Leaf that stood up for his teammates and showed some heart out there in that series.

In any event, he was and is missed significantly.

Reactions: MarkT

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You can understand to some degree moving Naz. What I never supported was one year of a marshmallow brain dead D man and a dime a dozen small forward for a number 2 center on 95 percent of teams. The return was abysmal and there’s no amount of fanboy rationale to reconcile this reality. Barrie was pure garbage here, he dined on secondary assists and he could never be trusted in our end. No motor, no extra gear, buh bye. And Kerfoot is so whatever on this team it isn’t funny.

Heart and soul for nothing. That’s on Kyle.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kadri loved wearing the Maple Leaf jersey far more than anyone ive seen since Clark and Gilmour. The Kadri trade still stings and the hockey gods will probably punish Dubas and the Maple Leafs for not being loyal to the heart and soul, pride that Kadri had. I cant think of anyone on the current roster that id get emotional watching lift the Cup in the Leafs jersey, I know Kadri would bring me to tears seeing that.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
So disappointing how bad he was. Was expecting way more. All things considered I thought it was a good trade at the time, but it just didn’t work out.

I’d say one of the most underwhelming players brought in that I can remember. Right up there with Khristich and Reichel.

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad