Barracuda News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I assume it's against the league bylaws for Hasso to buy an apartment complex and use it like a dorm? heh.

Nope.

Clarifying... In the NHL, any such "perk" would need to be quoted/included as part of contract/salary payment to player to avoid cap circumvention. No such problem with AHL.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Nope.

Clarifying... In the NHL, any such "perk" would need to be quoted/included as part of contract/salary payment to player to avoid cap circumvention. No such problem with AHL.

Seems like that would be an easy fix then. Plus they could use it for temporary housing for call-ups, rookies, and traded for players until they can find a permanent place. A small apartment complex would cost a few million, but it would be a huge selling point for their development system.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Now, if Hasso purchased a complex, it would probably be "furnished" as well. The prices quoted above are for an empty apartment. Easily increase by $1-2k/month if furnished.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Except for the ones in Stockton, Bakersfield, Ontario, and San Diego...so most games won't require a flight.

Ontario is a 7+ hour bus ride and San Diego is an 8+ hour ride. I doubt they'll be taking buses to those games.

The other two are only a couple of hours, but my point was they went from having a bunch of teams within 2 hours of their home arena to now having only 2.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Ontario is a 7+ hour bus ride and San Diego is an 8+ hour ride. I doubt they'll be taking buses to those games.

The other two are only a couple of hours, but my point was they went from having a bunch of teams within 2 hours of their home arena to now having only 2.

Worcester-Hershey is like 8-12 hour trip.

This is the AHL, not the NHL. They'll be on a bus (with all their equipment).

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
It'll also be easier to cover certain things for the big club when it's localized. It may be tough for a single individual to rent places but the parent club can likely organize some arrangement to accommodate their contracted players. If not, they're still making enough to cover it. I doubt they'll have as much spending money as they did in Worcester but there will be other amenities to being out here.

How much do you think AHLers make?

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

Worcester to Hershey is about 6 hours or less. There are other teams close by, however...Allentown, Bingo, WBS...even traveling through Springfield and Worcester on the way.

The COL in SJ and surrounding area is WAY ABOVE central MA.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks may also open their "practice catering" to allow the AHLers to get lunch and/or breakfast with the big boys.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

You listed 1 team and exaggerated the actual distance. In Worcester they were within 2-3 hours of Manchester, Hartford, Providence, Portland, Springfield, Albany and Bridgeport, and only a couple hours further to WB/Scranton, Syracuse, Binghamton & Lehigh Valley.

Only Norfolk and St Johns were further than the 6-7 hours.

I think their travel will be a lot rougher especially if they are always taking buses like you say.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
So is it just me? Cause every time I see the name of this team, in my head goes: ooohhhh Barracuda! (enter guitar riff here).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
You listed 1 team and exaggerated the actual distance.

And I don't know much of the eastern city-to-city times. I thought it was along the time I mentioned.

With equipment (as excess baggage), it would be too expensive for team to fly SJC to SAN. Actually would be cheaper to drive in charter bus.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
And I don't know much of the eastern city-to-city times. I thought it was along the time I mentioned.

With equipment (as excess baggage), it would be too expensive for team to fly SJC to SAN. Actually would be cheaper to drive in charter bus.

You schedule a game in Stockton or Bakersfield the night before San Diego or Ontario. Viola, manageable drive.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014

They will absolutely be taking busses to those games. It's the whole reason that they wanted 4-5 California teams before they formed the AHL west.

Not saying it's an easy drive, but it will save a ton of cost.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Another of my local buddies here, Joey Goldstein, was just hired by the Barracuda to do community work with the team (the same job he did with the WorSharks).

I'm glad they're bringing some Worcester employees with them to CA.

You should move here and be the beat writer ;)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
So disappointed to see Toronto hire Sheldon Keefe to coach their AHL team. He was the guy I wanted to see in San Jose in some capacity. Would have been the perfect time to say "thank you and goodbye" to Roy and get some new, young blood in the organization.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So disappointed to see Toronto hire Sheldon Keefe to coach their AHL team. He was the guy I wanted to see in San Jose in some capacity. Would have been the perfect time to say "thank you and goodbye" to Roy and get some new, young blood in the organization.

I think Sommer will retire a coach for the Sharks organization at this point. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad