Barracuda News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Likely my only ever post in this thread...AHL just announced the divisions for next season.

It's the five California teams plus Texas and San Antonio.

http://theahl.com/ahl-announces-alignment-for-2015-16-p197883

The allignment makes sense to me. Sure, Texas is a long way away, but they were flying no matter which division they wound up in. The new division has a lot of bus-able teams in California, so overall it's great for travel for the CA teams. The now former ECHL teams (Bakersfield, Stockton, and Ontario) were flying much more this year (Alaska, Idaho, Colorado, Utah), so travel costs should be down a bit.

On another note, 210, why not keep following the team in SJ until you have a better option out East? Bitter taste in your mouth? I feel badly about your team. It's easy for us Westies to forget that a lot of bad things had to happen to Eastern fans for our AHL teams to become a reality - we hope you get a new one soon (in whatever form it comes).

Felys

Sep 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I just want to know who in the AHL media department thought it was logical to put the west teams on the right and the east teams on the left in this release? My brain was flipping out for a good minute until I realized it was turned around.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I'm pretty excited to watch AHL hockey, this should be fun.

I've come to terms with the name, but our logo is still the crap. I hope we're making a decent amount of cash off this sponsorship to offset the crap Comcast deal to warrant it.

But what evs. Still excited to watch hockey's future

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Talked to one of the Blue Coats @ Sharks select-a-seat tonight.

They've been told they have ~6000 STH for the Barracuda.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Talked to one of the Blue Coats @ Sharks select-a-seat tonight.

They've been told they have ~6000 STH for the Barracuda.

I find that hard to believe. If you look for season tickets at ticketmaster it shows you what seats are taken. I did a quick glance and I think its more like ~600-1000 that are taken.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think having the ahl team in San Jose will help sign prospects/fringe-nhlers going forward.

For one, playing in San Jose vs Worchester mass is much more appealing, but you have the eyes of the gm and big club there the entire time.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think having the ahl team in San Jose will help sign prospects/fringe-nhlers going forward.

For one, playing in San Jose vs Worchester mass is much more appealing, but you have the eyes of the gm and big club there the entire time.

There's a possibility that being in SJ this year might hurt 2-way deals. It's pretty tough to rent places in the Bay Area right now and an AHL paycheck probably makes it tougher. Sure, most of them are young guys without families who can room together but AHL journeymen with families may want to avoid the COL associated to the area.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There's a possibility that being in SJ this year might hurt 2-way deals. It's pretty tough to rent places in the Bay Area right now and an AHL paycheck probably makes it tougher. Sure, most of them are young guys without families who can room together but AHL journeymen with families may want to avoid the COL associated to the area.

It'll also be easier to cover certain things for the big club when it's localized. It may be tough for a single individual to rent places but the parent club can likely organize some arrangement to accommodate their contracted players. If not, they're still making enough to cover it. I doubt they'll have as much spending money as they did in Worcester but there will be other amenities to being out here.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
It'll also be easier to cover certain things for the big club when it's localized. It may be tough for a single individual to rent places but the parent club can likely organize some arrangement to accommodate their contracted players. If not, they're still making enough to cover it. I doubt they'll have as much spending money as they did in Worcester but there will be other amenities to being out here.

the weather for one

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The new lease agreement proposal is the first thing I've seen that specifically says the intention is for the AHL team to go to Sharks Ice. Maybe it was cited earlier somewhere but I was just going through the agreement and what they're voting on and found that interesting.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I believe that the Sharks have wanted that 5k arena @ Sharks Ice for at least five years. (And been prevented from doing so by city/lack of land, etc.)

I would not be surprised to have the Barracuda "move" to this arena after being built.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
I believe that the Sharks have wanted that 5k arena @ Sharks Ice for at least five years. (And been prevented from doing so by city/lack of land, etc.)

I would not be surprised to have the Barracuda "move" to this arena after being built.

I heard it would replace the gun range

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria

My parents have a 250 sq ft. converted garage that he can rent. All utilities included. $1000/month
Remember only light cooking allowed!
:laugh:

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

That's not entirely true. A lot of the best college players come from the New England area and play in Hockey East so Worcester is close to home for them. That being said I think having the AHL club closer to the NHL club is definitely an advantage. Worcester isn't exactly a "big" exciting city, but its a place where travel to opponents was mostly very light. Out in SJ almost every road game will be a flight away.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

I don't think it should be too difficult. Even the worst AHL contracts still earn these guys solid money, right? I mean 50K+. You get a couple guys rooming together they can easily afford that. I live in Boston which is just as expensive as San Jose and AHL players could easily live here.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
AHL living arrangements in San Jose

I assumed when I first heard about the deal, that SJ would have to be increasing the AHL $$s of two-way deals to counter the cost of living issues.

Seems it's about $2500 (studio) to $4000 (3BR) on monthly rent for an apartment.

Without subsidy, that seems a pretty large chunk of change for one player.

But as seen in Worcester, often the single guys would "band together" and get a house with lots of shared space.

As this will be a 1+ year arrangement, I would not be surprised to learn that the Sharks/Barracuda have found a "sponsor" (with an apartment complex) to provide "subsidized" rents in exchange for the publicity. (Something similar to what the ECHL Bulls did with a complex near the Cow Palace. In the ECHL your housing is paid for, separate from your salary.)

AND situations where half a dozen prospects get together to rent a house.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I assumed when I first heard about the deal, that SJ would have to be increasing the AHL $$s of two-way deals to counter the cost of living issues.

Seems it's about $2500 (studio) to $4000 (3BR) on monthly rent for an apartment.

Without subsidy, that seems a pretty large chunk of change for one player.

But as seen in Worcester, often the single guys would "band together" and get a house with lots of shared space.

As this will be a 1+ year arrangement, I would not be surprised to learn that the Sharks/Barracuda have found a "sponsor" (with an apartment complex) to provide "subsidized" rents in exchange for the publicity. (Something similar to what the ECHL Bulls did with a complex near the Cow Palace. In the ECHL your housing is paid for, separate from your salary.)

AND situations where half a dozen prospects get together to rent a house.

I assume it's against the league bylaws for Hasso to buy an apartment complex and use it like a dorm? heh.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
I would support something along the lines of the Red Army type facility where all young players are forced to live and train 7 days a week around the year excluding Xmas day.
No? :sarcasm:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-san-jose-rent-trends/

As of March 2015, average apartment rent within 10 miles of San Jose, CA is $2656.

One bedroom apartments in San Jose rent for $2300 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $2823.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad