Injury Report: Barkov (concussion protocol, day-to-day, back on 2/25?)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I think we are seeing a team that know who their best players are and lean on them.

The team wasnt playing great by all means, but they kept it 0-0.

they just seemed demoralized after Barkov went down, then puffed their chest in the locker room after

The character of this team lives and dies with Sasha and Ek.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
I'm ok with going after their star players, the message needs to be sent both to the Wings organization and the league, you aren't going to protect and penalize these guys *IN-GAME* then we are forced to take the next course of actions upon ourselves....so tired of this BS, if we don't stand up for ourselves it will never get solved and we'll continue to watch all our best go down. That's Bjugs, Ek and Barky now, who needs to go down next?

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
No need to injure. I dont want that.

But i want a body on Abdelkader every single time there is a chancr

Thats what aggravated me more than losing last night. NOT ONE player except for Mac did anything to Abdelkader the rest of the game. I am not saying he needed to be injured but he should have been hit every single shift he was on. Fighting him at the end of the game didn't mean anything. The overall attitude of the players last night was more puzzling than being shut out.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Thats what aggravated me more than losing last night. NOT ONE player except for Mac did anything to Abdelkader the rest of the game. I am not saying he needed to be injured but he should have been hit every single shift he was on. Fighting him at the end of the game didn't mean anything. The overall attitude of the players last night was more puzzling than being shut out.

Ekblad was being physical with him on the resulting PP.

I want our guys to have a physical edge, but at the same time I do not want to see a Hendricks dirty styled hit. Nor do I want to see our guys be focused more on payback than playing hockey

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
And just to be clear, I had no prob with the Stars going after Kuli when he took out Seguin. I think that was a open-ice check gone wrong, but still needed to be addressed and dealt with and he got his punishment handed to him

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
Ekblad was being physical with him on the resulting PP.

I want our guys to have a physical edge, but at the same time I do not want to see a Hendricks dirty styled hit. Nor do I want to see our guys be focused more on payback than playing hockey

Yea, the one guy we don't need doing ***** like that !!!! I like that Ek gave him a shot to the jaw, but the whole game from the start was just odd. Hopefully Gallant gave them an earful and they wake up tonight. Sabres are not going to lay down.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I know this might not be a popular opinion, but if we want people to stop knocking around Barkov and going after our stars, I think the best course of action would be for Sasha to start throwing his body around and just laying huge, mean checks on people.

People will think twice about hitting him if it wakes up the sleeping beast inside of him. With his vision, awareness, size, and strength, he has all the tools to be a devastating power forward overnight.

And if Barky started laying huge checks, it would probably catapult him to top 5 centerman in the league almost immediately.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I know this might not be a popular opinion, but if we want people to stop knocking around Barkov and going after our stars, I think the best course of action would be for Sasha to start throwing his body around and just laying huge, mean checks on people.

People will think twice about hitting him if it wakes up the sleeping beast inside of him. With his vision, awareness, size, and strength, he has all the tools to be a devastating power forward overnight.

And if Barky started laying huge checks, it would probably catapult him to top 5 centerman in the league almost immediately.

I'd much rather Barky play how he does now. The amount of wear and tear on his body will be reduced significantly

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

The main reason why Barkov is always in great position defensively, is that he doesn't go out of his way to hit people and take himself out of position & trailing the play. I remember saying this already before we even drafted him, when people were worried about his lack of physicality and thus questioning his work ethic. You take that away and there is no Barkov as we know him.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
He is going to get hit with how much he as the puck. Most of the time he braces himself pretty well.

Yep. The hit he took was borderline and the result unlucky. Not often does a player his size get hit to the head but with Abdelkader going high and Barkov looking at the puck too much (not common with him) it happened. Hopefully it's not too bad and he learned from it. He doesn't have a concussion history so people shouldn't be too worried about this.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
sounds like he'll be back soon. if thats the case then i doubt it was a concussion. maybe bruised a rib or something or hurt his neck on that follow through.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Interesting reading about JJ calling out the league on the Barkov hit. He commended them for doing a good job the last 10 years, but this year they have taken a step backwards.

Any surprise when you employ someone like Chris Pronger. You can't tell me this guy doesn't influence policy decisions on hits to players. It's like having the inmates running the prisons.

After the season the NHLPA and mgt will sit down to modify the rules. Barkov type hits will probably be ruled illegal, but the player safety dept will again be given the latitude on rulings. So good luck with that. After all, there are still many owners and players who believe that a substantial portion of fans would be turned off if the league turns too pacifist. The bottom line is the decider, and it's only a huge class action judgement that will finally get their attention. Don't look for that until at least another 5 to 10 years. In the meantime, keep your head up Barky.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Interesting reading about JJ calling out the league on the Barkov hit. He commended them for doing a good job the last 10 years, but this year they have taken a step backwards.

Any surprise when you employ someone like Chris Pronger. You can't tell me this guy doesn't influence policy decisions on hits to players. It's like having the inmates running the prisons.

After the season the NHLPA and mgt will sit down to modify the rules. Barkov type hits will probably be ruled illegal, but the player safety dept will again be given the latitude on rulings. So good luck with that. After all, there are still many owners and players who believe that a substantial portion of fans would be turned off if the league turns too pacifist. The bottom line is the decider, and it's only a huge class action judgement that will finally get their attention. Don't look for that until at least another 5 to 10 years. In the meantime, keep your head up Barky.

This type of thinking is ridiculous and outdated me. I enjoy a big hit every now and then, but watching skilled players do their thing is most enjoyable to me. I love that the league has essentially moved away from enforcers and players that can't do anything but fight. I'm not a fan of removing fighting from the game, but I don't care for guys who can't do anything but drop the mitts. I watch hockey for the play on the ice. If I wanted to watch 60 minutes of fighting and brutality, I'd pay for a UFC bout. Maybe it's because I'm part of the younger generation? :dunno:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
This type of thinking is ridiculous and outdated me. I enjoy a big hit every now and then, but watching skilled players do their thing is most enjoyable to me. I love that the league has essentially moved away from enforcers and players that can't do anything but fight. I'm not a fan of removing fighting from the game, but I don't care for guys who can't do anything but drop the mitts. I watch hockey for the play on the ice. If I wanted to watch 60 minutes of fighting and brutality, I'd pay for a UFC bout. Maybe it's because I'm part of the younger generation? :dunno:

The Department of Player Safety’s own mission statement reads this way: “We are committed to making the game as safe as possible for our players, while preserving the intensely physical, competitive and passionate nature of hockey.”

I'm on the bus with you on this, but unfortunately the guys running the show aren't. They know they are going to have some big settlements in the class actions coming up and need to show they are doing something about it. There will be a final line in the sand where the courts will dictate how "intensely physical" the game will be, but the league won't get there without dragging it's feet and squeezing every last nickel out of "old time hockey." In the meantime, many more victims will have their quality of life in shambles until that day comes. My hope is the judges will come down hard on them for employing guys who cared little about respecting the health and well being of their many fellow players they intentionally tried to injure, and now allow them to oversee this so called Dept of Player Safety which to me is nothing more than a Kangaroo Court.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
From Harvey:
The Panthers will once again be without their top two defensemen on the penalty kill, Erik Gudbranson and Willie Mitchell, for at least two more games. Neither skated Saturday and the team is off Sunday.

Top-line center Aleksander Barkov (concussion) will miss his third consecutive game and is doubtful for Monday's game against the Penguins, who are already in South Florida. The Penguins will have a closed practice Sunday in the BB&T Center.

Seems no one will be back for the Penguins game.... ouch. :help:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Seems like things were pushed back. I had heard Guddy and Barkov could've been back by today. Harvey heard early in the homestand and Doug Cifu said by Monday.

Saw Barkov exiting the locker room and leaving the arena yesterday. Looked fine and if you didn't know he was injured you wouldn't have guessed that he was.

jol

Jan 31, 2003
Miami Beach, Florida
Visit site
The Department of Player Safety’s own mission statement reads this way: “We are committed to making the game as safe as possible for our players, while preserving the intensely physical, competitive and passionate nature of hockey.â€

I'm on the bus with you on this, but unfortunately the guys running the show aren't. They know they are going to have some big settlements in the class actions coming up and need to show they are doing something about it. There will be a final line in the sand where the courts will dictate how "intensely physical" the game will be, but the league won't get there without dragging it's feet and squeezing every last nickel out of "old time hockey." In the meantime, many more victims will have their quality of life in shambles until that day comes. My hope is the judges will come down hard on them for employing guys who cared little about respecting the health and well being of their many fellow players they intentionally tried to injure, and now allow them to oversee this so called Dept of Player Safety which to me is nothing more than a Kangaroo Court.
i thought that all hits to head are banned already, but I guess not. Sure in future there will be all kinds of class action suits and these concussions are not even new thing. King Henry VIII in 16th century seemed to have couple of those:
"The Tudor king suffered two major head injuries during jousting tournaments. In 1524 a lance struck him above the eye through his helmet's open visor, dazing him. Although he continued to joust, he suffered migraines afterwards."
Sounds familiar?

"A contradictory picture of Henry's character emerges from history," the authors write in the study. "[He] was a vigorous, generous and an intelligent king; who saw early military and naval successes. In contrast, in his later years he became cruel, petty and tyrannical. His political paranoia and military mis-judgments are in direct contrast to his earlier successes and promise."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-have-in-common-with-henry-viii-brain-damage/

JOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad