Bally Sports will likely go bankrupt.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The problem being that something like 97% of hockey fans primarily want to watch the local market games.

I'd rather pay the NHL (and their subcontractors) than bloated ESPN.

How does MLB do this? They seem to have some things figured out.
That is where ballys comes in. Nhl and mlb not so different. If ballys goes away they will both presumably find alternative.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
What will be interesting is if the bankruptcy restructuring forces Sinclair/Diamond to sell off some of the regional networks. Jim Hayes on the 590 morning show has anecdotally said the BSMidwest channel is in the black itself, I wonder if the Cardinals and Blues could go in together on an offer the creditors a bid to buy BSMidwest.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
What will be interesting is if the bankruptcy restructuring forces Sinclair/Diamond to sell off some of the regional networks. Jim Hayes on the 590 morning show has anecdotally said the BSMidwest channel is in the black itself, I wonder if the Cardinals and Blues could go in together on an offer the creditors a bid to buy BSMidwest.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Soccer team put their hands in the middle as well. Would allow all three to have air time on the same channel.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if the Soccer team put their hands in the middle as well. Would allow all three to have air time on the same channel.
They could for content purposes, but unfortunately MLS' new deal with apple even prevents local channels from carrying games. Games are exclusively on AppleTV with the exception of some national ESPN and Fox Sports telecasts

Last edited:

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
To some extent I agree with people happy about the RSN which are primarily responsible for local blackouts getting killed. The other logical part of me realizes there isn't going to be some velvet revolution and a new era of wonderful cheap all you can watch hockey is going to come take its place. I think there's enough local goodwill in St. Louis for the major sports teams to sweep in, take over ye old FSMW and there shouldn't be too much disruption in service. The problem is those RSN were big money for the Blues/Cards and both teams would need to enter new areas beyond just sports. Broadcast production and local TV ad revenue. There's also the leverage bally had with cable/satellite providers that a single standalone RSN wouldn't have. As great as it would be to just hand over 10$-20$ per month and get what I want, I'm not sure its that easy.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Blues should go to channel 11 like when I was a kid. Lol
They could for content purposes, but unfortunately MLS' new deal with apple even prevents local channels from carrying games. Games are exclusibely on AppleTV with the exception of some national ESPN and Fox Sports telecasts
so the only way to watch will be on AppleTV?
other than random national games?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
They could for content purposes, but unfortunately MLS' new deal with apple even prevents local channels from carrying games. Games are exclusibely on AppleTV with the exception of some national ESPN and Fox Sports telecasts

Sounds pretty dumb to me. MLS needs all the fans it can get, especially new fans. I'd think they would want as many people as possible to see their product, but guess not!

Mar 6, 2012
No, this Apple TV MLS deal is fantastic and exactly what the NHL should be doing.

It's $99 a year* and you get every single regular season game, every playoff game, for every team, no blackouts at all. This is exactly what we want. This is good. Do this NHL.

*Non Apple TV + subscribers (who only want MLS ) $14.99 a month or $99 a year
Existing Apple TV + Subscribers who also want MLS: $12.99 a month on top of the normal price or $79 per year.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
No, this Apple TV MLS deal is fantastic and exactly what the NHL should be doing.

It's $99 a year* and you get every single regular season game, every playoff game, for every team, no blackouts at all. This is exactly what we want. This is good. Do this NHL.

Existing Apple TV + Subscribers who also want MLS: $12.99 a month on top of the normal price or $79 per year.

I'd love something like this for NHL. I'd even give apple, a truly evil corporation, money for it.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

so people who aren't fans will never become fans, as they have to pay for something for which they are not currently a fan of

me personally, I am done with anything "+"
I have DirectTV Stream, if a company has content on there I am already paying them, but if they want to charge me more for the "+" content, they can go pound sand

Mar 6, 2012
I'd love something like this for NHL. I'd even give apple, a truly evil corporation, money for it.

I don't want to go down this rabbit hole, but come on. Apple is far from perfect, but if Apple is a "truly evil" company, than 99.99% of all companies are truly evil. Give me a break. If you are some sort of anti-capitalism/anarchist isolationist who lives in a remote cabin and eats nothing but home grown vegetables then I guess your declaration makes sense in that context... but otherwise this is a nonsensical opinion that is utter nonsense.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't want to go down this rabbit hole, but come on. If Apple is a "truly evil" company, than 99.99% of all companies are truly evil. Give me a break. If you are some sort of anti-capitalism/anarchist isolationist who lives in a remote cabin and eats nothing but home grown vegetables then I guess your declaration makes sense in that context... but otherwise this is a nonsensical opinion that is utter nonsense.

Yes, it is almost impossible to live a moral economic life in this day and age. I probably deal with 100s of businesses that do awful things. But Apple has been reported. I am aware of it. So I choose not to do business with them if I can help it.

Apple knowingly relied on factories that used forced child labor up until a couple years ago. These practices are horrific. It wasn't until PR got bad that they stopped using child labor. Even after that, they continued to use forced labor, which while adults is still truly horrific. These workers are forced to work unsubstainably long hours at the detriment of their health in bad conditions with no breaks or food under the threat of imprisonment or death. Apple claimed to have stopped using forced labor, but several reports have have tied them to suppliers who heavily use forced labor. Further they have lobbied against US legislation to stop American companies from doing business with factories that use forced or child labor. Is that not evil?

Mar 6, 2012
Yes, it is almost impossible to live a moral economic life in this day and age. I probably deal with 100s of businesses that do awful things. But Apple has been reported. I am aware of it. So I choose not to do business with them if I can help it.

Apple knowingly relied on factories that used forced child labor up until a couple years ago. These practices are horrific. It wasn't until PR got bad that they stopped using child labor. Even after that, they continued to use forced labor, which while adults is still truly horrific. These workers are forced to work unsubstainably long hours at the detriment of their health in bad conditions with no breaks or food under the threat of imprisonment or death. Apple claimed to have stopped using forced labor, but several reports have have tied them to suppliers who heavily use forced labor. Further they have lobbied against US legislation to stop American companies from doing business with factories that use forced or child labor. Is that not evil?

Then every single manufacturer of electronics is evil. Why single Apple out? Every company is in this exact same boat. Who do you think made your phone? Your computer? Your TV? Literally everything we own.

Factory workers in China (and other places) do indeed work in horrific (by our standards) conditions. This is a fact. But another fact is that when these companies look for more employees, they have 10s of thousands of applicants who literally camp out to get jobs. These factories jobs are in high demand over there and dramatically improve the lives of their workers dramatically. If they went away it would be catastrophic for entire regions.

Is this ideal? No. Is this Apple's fault? No. Is Apple any worse in this area than literally every single other electronics manufacturer? No, they are not. Apple has put more effort into improving the working condition of it's overseas labor force than most electronics manufacturing companies. Apple's main manufacturer (Foxconn) employs 1.2 million people and manufactures roughly 40% of the worlds electronics. Singling Apple out is silly. The uncomfortable truth is that our entire lifestyles are enabled by invisible suffering and labor of people who's lives bear little resemblance to anything we can even understand. It's very sad, and yes it is evil, but Apple is no more guilty of this than any other company or any of us as individuals. We all share in this burden.

Anyway, name me some electronics brands that don't manufacture their goods this way. There are none.

You know what, I am not going to continue this conversation. Maybe in a different thread.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Then every single manufacturer of electronics is evil. Why single Apple out? Every company is in this exact same boat. Who do you think made your phone? Your computer? Your TV? Literally everything we own.

Factory workers in China (and other places) do indeed work in horrific (by our standards) conditions. This is a fact. But another fact is that when these companies look for more employees, they have 10s of thousands of applicants who literally camp out to get jobs. These factories jobs are in high demand over there and dramatically improve the lives of their workers dramatically. If they went away it would be catastrophic for entire regions.

Is this ideal? No. Is this Apple's fault? No. Is Apple any worse in this area than literally every single other electronics manufacturer? No, they are not. Apple has put more effort into improving the working condition of it's overseas labor force than most electronics manufacturing companies. Apple's main manufacturer (Foxconn) employs 1.2 million people and manufactures roughly 40% of the worlds electronics. Singling Apple out is silly. The uncomfortable truth is that our entire lifestyles are enabled by invisible suffering and labor of people who's lives bear little resemblance to anything we can even understand. It's very sad, and yes it is evil, but Apple is no more guilty of this than any other company or any of us as individuals. We all share in this burden.

Anyway, name me some electronics brands that don't manufacture their goods this way. There are none.

You know what, I am not going to continue this conversation. Maybe in a different thread.

I am not talking about cheap labor in China. I am talking about Uyghur concentration camps, literally free labor (except a fee to the government). The chinese government hates muslims, so hey steralize them and then work them to death for nothing. Like I said, maybe other companies do the same. I don't know about it. I know for a fact Apple supplier's use forced Uyghur labor. I know for a fact, Apple knowingly did business with them. I know for a fact they lied about stopping. And I know for a fact they lobbied against laws that could help the problem. That is enough for me. I don't need to continue the conversation. You feel your way, I'll feel mine.

Reactions: Spicy Panger

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
so the only way to watch will be on AppleTV?
other than random national games?
Yes, to my understanding they cut all regional broadcasts, some broadcasters I follow were tweeting about how they were sad to have their time covering their teams come to an end at the end of last season.
Sounds pretty dumb to me. MLS needs all the fans it can get, especially new fans. I'd think they would want as many people as possible to see their product, but guess not!
Exactly, I don't want to pay for another streaming service so I won't be watching many games, unless any places have the games on. But MLS got paid $2.5 billion so it was certainly an offer they couldn't refuse

Last edited:
Reactions: Reality Czech

Mar 6, 2012
10 seconds of googling (another evil company) revealed that Amazon, Apple, Asus, Cisco, Dell, Google, Hitachi, HP, HTC, Huawei, Lenovo, LG, Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Nokia, Oppo, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Siemens, Sony, Toshiba, Vivo, Xiaomi, and ZTE all have used forced Uyghur labor in their supply chains.

I need to stop, sorry. Buy or don't buy the products you want for whatever reasons you want. No skin off my back. I just think it's interesting how certain companies always get singled out. Apple gets clicks so the media always focuses on them, but these are sins of capitalism, not (just) Apple. We are all guilty.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
10 seconds of googling (another evil company) revealed that Amazon, Apple, Asus, Cisco, Dell, Google, Hitachi, HP, HTC, Huawei, Lenovo, LG, Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Nokia, Oppo, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Siemens, Sony, Toshiba, Vivo, Xiaomi, and ZTE all have used forced Uyghur labor in their supply chains.

I need to stop, sorry. Buy or don't buy the products you want for whatever reasons you want. No skin off my back. I just think it's interesting how certain companies always get singled out. Apple gets clicks so the media always focuses on them, but these are sins of capitalism, not (just) Apple. We are all guilty.

I thought you weren't talking about it here. Yes, a ton of tech companies benefited from forced labor. There are documents that show Apple knew about it, lied about it and lobbied against laws that could lessen it. If you have actually evidence that other comapnies did that, dm it to me. I mean actual evidence that they knew and did nothing. Not that a company they used brought in forced labor during an ongoing contract. Ideally, these companies would monitor that,. But you are right, all big corporations suck. Knowing about it, and more than doing nothing, lobbying to keep allowing it is another level of bad.

Mar 6, 2012
Reading more about this Apple TV MLS deal… it’s for 10(!!?!) years… and around 20-30 games per year will be broadcast nationally on traditional tv, including playoff games. A certain amount of the games will also be available for free to stream.

I hear the concerns about casual fans not being able to check out games here and there, but the world of tv broadcasting has been and will continue to rapidly move away from that sort of thing whether we like it or not.

Most people don’t even have cable. If you rely on streaming services for watching, you are already cut off from legal easy ways to casually watch a game here or there.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
So many people talking about Apple being evil or not on this page, I just want to toss in those poor bastards in the Congo that are mining cobalt for every ones precious batteries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad