Bally Sports will likely go bankrupt.

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019

I hope Stillman and DeWitt join forces and form a new network that obviously encompasses the Blues and Cardinals, but also the local NCAA Division I schools ( Lindenwood hockey and SLU basketball), Missouri Valley Conference Basketball and Football games including the Indiana Pacers. That should be enough to fill an entire calendar.

Mar 6, 2012
All of these sports leagues and cable broadcasters have engaged in so many anti-consumer shenanigans through the years that I hope they all implode.

Just give your fans what they want without all of the stupid nonsense. We have money, you have the product, stop playing ****ing games. Stop all the stupid backroom deals and whatnot and just give us what we want at a fair price and make it easy for your customers.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I hope Stillman and DeWitt join forces and form a new network that obviously encompasses the Blues and Cardinals, but also the local NCAA Division I schools ( Lindenwood hockey and SLU basketball), Missouri Valley Conference Basketball and Football games including the Indiana Pacers. That should be enough to fill an entire calendar.

That would be cool, though not sure how realistic it is. I wonder if regional cable networks are just not feasable anymore and teams/leagues will start to look at streaming options for local broadcasts.

While it kind of sucks from a Cardinals/Blues perspective that Bally is going out of business, all I'll say it I won't miss the ticker at all.

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019

MLB< NBA, and the NHL almost bought out Bally sports back in September 2022. I would imagine they will reengage in those discussions soon, if they haven't already.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
As if no one foresaw how this would work out lol. Bally’s can go join the Yotes staying in AZ for boneheaded decisions made by Bettman. Keep stacking it up, Buddy!!

Reactions: AjaxManifesto

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
As if no one foresaw how this would work out lol. Bally’s can go join the Yotes staying in AZ for boneheaded decisions made by Bettman. Keep stacking it up, Buddy!!
I think you’re blaming the wrong person here. If anything, this was a bone headed move by Stillman as Bettman wouldn’t be the one negotiating with RSNs.

Mar 6, 2012
Part of me kind of misses the days of watching the Blues on KPLR on a crappy 12" CRT TV. Oh baby!

It is kind of funny how we (and by we, I mean me) like to complain about all the ways watching sports sucks now... but the reality is that it is a million times better in just about every way it can be better. The problem is that we all know it can actually be much better than it is and it's not technology holding it back, it's contractual anti-consumer nonsense.

Anyway, the other thing about watching Blues in the 80s/90s was that like a third of all games weren't even on TV during that era. In the late 90s, early 00s, we got about 90% of the games. It wasn't until the mid 2010s that they finally started showing us every single game. I feel like we've taken a step back with this ESPN+ nonsense.

Who remembers having to call a phone number to get the score updates? Those were the good ol days...

Last edited:
Reactions: Puck Luck

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Part of me kind of misses the days of watching the Blues on KPLR on a crappy 12" CRT TV. Oh baby!

It is kind of funny how we (and by we, I mean me) like to complain about all the ways watching sports sucks now... but the reality is that it is a million times better in just about every way it can be better. The problem is that we all know it can actually be much better than it is and it's not technology holding it back, it's contractual anti-consumer nonsense.

Anyway, the other thing about watching Blues in the 80s/90s was that like a third of all games weren't even on TV during that era. In the late 90s, early 00s, we got about 90% of the games. It wasn't until the mid 2010s that they finally started showing us every single game. I feel like we've taken a step back with this ESPN+ nonsense.

Who remembers having to call a phone number to get the score updates? Those were the good ol days...

it sucks now because they want to nickle and dime you to f***ing death to watch hockey and then black out the games. They need to just let me pay one f***ing provider a monthly and let me watch the f***ing games, the end, period.

Reactions: ort and GoldenSeal

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I still think NHLtv is the way to go. That was several years ago. Just fix the stupid home market blackout and strip away the excessive pre and post game production costs. I would pay $24/month to watch all NHL games this way. I would even recommend synching the broadcast with local radio broadcast. Save even more money.

The problem is that compromises need to be made on the production side and on the consumer side for this to work. This is hard since everyone and their brother gets locked into their own business model or viewer expectations.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I still think NHLtv is the way to go. That was several years ago. Just fix the stupid home market blackout and strip away the excessive pre and post game production costs. I would pay $24/month to watch all NHL games this way. I would even recommend synching the broadcast with local radio broadcast. Save even more money.

The problem is that compromises need to be made on the production side and on the consumer side for this to work. This is hard since everyone and their brother gets locked into their own business model or viewer expectations.
Games are on ESPN+ now. It's only local markets where there is issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad