News Article: Back by popular demand: Under Review with HFNYR's Steve Kournianos

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Could not touch that. To me, that is giving up way , way too much.
I think you are underrating how good 7ths tend to be and overrating how good 20s and 28s tend to be. I can give some recent examples if you'd like. The difference is pretty stark.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The goalie is still a question mark let's be honest. But for Buffalo to compete right now, he's the best answer out there.

Think they are still committed to Ullmark/Hutton for this season. Last year was his first year as a full time NHL goalie and a team with a dumpster fire defense and he had a decent save%. Georgiev definitely has better numbers and is younger, but with him and Hutton under control, I don't see them making a move for another young goalie.

As it was mentioned on the show, UPL is about to be their goalie. He's fantastic. He'll be in the AHL next season and he may not have the Carter Hart hype, but I'd think there is a very good chance he hits the NHL next season, especially if the Sabres have their troubles in net still. If not, he's the guy in the 2020-2021 season.

Not going to say Georgiev has no value, but to a team like Buffalo, his value would be lower than some other goalie starved teams due to one of their 3 best prospects being a goalie.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
I am just here to say that it was another good show, and the volume levels were MUCH better. There were a couple of small hiccups with echo which I am guessing was an open mic, but this was much easier to listen to today. Great job.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Just so much fun to listen to you guys engage in an actual knowledgeable hockey discussion with guests who bring real contributions.

Also liking that you’re bringing your own knowledge bases where @Amazing Kreiderman is the numbers guy (and European prospect stalker) and @GregSirico is the guy who’s read up on all the reporters, bloggers, and social media discussions.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Err, Rangers got a 7th overall just a few years ago by trading a good roster player (Stepan, arguably equal to Kreider) and a backup goalie while also receiving a good prospect in return.

Trading a 1st line forward AND a 3rd line forward AND a first round pick AND a prospect or two just for the 7th pick is a pretty damn bad value deal going off what was accomplished just a few years ago.

Whether Buffalo is interested in trading their pick is another question...if they really want to hold onto it then sure it might take a whole lot to actually pry it from them

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Err, Rangers got a 7th overall just a few years ago by trading a good roster player (Stepan, arguably equal to Kreider) and a backup goalie while also receiving a good prospect in return.

Trading a 1st line forward AND a 3rd line forward AND a first round pick AND a prospect or two just for the 7th pick is a pretty damn bad value deal going off what was accomplished just a few years ago.

Whether Buffalo is interested in trading their pick is another question...if they really want to hold onto it then sure it might take a whole lot to actually pry it from them
If Kreider had term left on his deal it might be an apt comparison but he doesn't so the value in all likelihood is not similar.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

7th in 2017 was not as valuable because the drop off was huge after 5. Stepan was also worth way more than Kreider now due to his position and contract. Teams pay for control.

1 year of Kreider + Georgiev isn't going to get you 7th overall in a draft with a much later cut off in terms of high end talent.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
7th in 2017 was not as valuable because the drop off was huge after 5. Stepan was also worth way more than Kreider now due to his position and contract. Teams pay for control.

1 year of Kreider + Georgiev isn't going to get you 7th overall in a draft with a much later cut off in terms of high end talent.
Right, but while Stepan plays the premium position, 1) Kreider is IMO the better, more dynamic player at his, 2) there's no DeAngelo coming along with the #7, 3) Georgiev is a 23 year old RFA still on his ELC, whereas Raanta was a 27/28-y-o a year from UFA. Then, you also add Vesey, who sure, is expendable here, but has real value equivalent to, what, a mid-high second round pick? AND you also add not just any prospect, but one of our absolute best in Miller/Lundkvist?

If the player I want is there, and Buffalo's holding me up, I can see all three NHL players plus maybe a good, but not great prospect like Själin or Lindgren, but the moment you throw out the names Miller/Lundkvist... IDK, just seems like too much to me.

Reactions: kovazub94 and jas

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Outstanding job @Amazing Kreiderman, @GregSirico and @Steve Kournianos. :handclap:

What separates hearing the discussions you guys engage in is drastically different from all the other saturated crap we have access too.

You guys get into the gritty specifics we all ask ourselves. It’s nice hearing different opinions on sensitive subjects that other guys would shy away from.

It’s also nice hearing you guys say ****.

And @Steve Kournianos, I know you get a lot of crap here from a lot of people, but the work you put in with prospects is something that’s seriously appreciated, even when there’s a disagreement about a kid.

Keep up the great work boys. And thank you!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Outstanding job @Amazing Kreiderman, @GregSirico and @Steve Kournianos. :handclap:

What separates hearing the discussions you guys engage in is drastically different from all the other saturated crap we have access too.

You guys get into the gritty specifics we all ask ourselves. It’s nice hearing different opinions on sensitive subjects that other guys would shy away from.

It’s also nice hearing you guys say ****.

And @Steve Kournianos, I know you get a lot of crap here from a lot of people, but the work you put in with prospects is something that’s seriously appreciated, even when there’s a disagreement about a kid.

Keep up the great work boys. And thank you!

Thanks for this feedback. Do you have any specifics? I am just curious and want to know what exactly stands out so we can make sure we isolate that and not touch it, so to speak

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It’s clear that the conversations aren’t the first time you guys have ever had them. That’s a big difference from a lot of other Rangers podcasts

On average, I think Greg and I talk on Skype about 10-20 hours a week. Usually we just have a Skype session as a game is on and just discuss random stuff as we are watching.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Thanks for this feedback. Do you have any specifics? I am just curious and want to know what exactly stands out so we can make sure we isolate that and not touch it, so to speak

Some of the feedback from the last podcast with Edge regarding things like the Zubov trade, and the type of players the Rangers like to Target was great to listen to as an outsider.

With the recent show I loved hearing you guys dive right in with the Vesey talk. You didn’t hold back or try and be sensitive. You said exactly what was on your mind instead of tip toeing around and trying to be “nice”.

There was a bunch of other stuff too that I’m neglecting because of the Trouba trade lol.

Guys on TSN have a muzzle on when they discuss hockey. They don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings or say something that’ll cost them their job.

I hope you guys have the No Fear kind of mentality with your shows going forward.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think you are underrating how good 7ths tend to be and overrating how good 20s and 28s tend to be. I can give some recent examples if you'd like. The difference is pretty stark.
For me, the understatement was my belief of the going rate for a first line wing.

Though, now this particular topic is null and void.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad