News Article: Back by popular demand: Under Review with HFNYR's Steve Kournianos

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Today we have an amazing 2-hour episode for all our fans here! @GregSirico and I discuss the Panarin sweepstakes while Steve Kournianos and Drew Way give us their recap of the 2019 NHL Draft! Definitely worth a listen. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as the previous episodes and would really appreciate it if you could share this with your friends. We have hit 1000k plays for 2 episodes so far!

In our final recording before the draft, we are joined by @Steve Kournianos for a podcast over 2 hours where we discuss everything draft-related with the input of The Draft Analyst himself.

Please let us know what you think. @GregSirico and I were incredibly happy and honestly shocked at the positive responses on the last one, so we hope you guys enjoy this one just as much (Or maybe even more)

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Excellent work boys. Looking forward to hearing Steve's opinions on the upcoming draft. Will have a listen tommorow morning .

Reactions: GregSirico

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Interesting.

The thing I found interesting about the previous pod is how bullish Edge was on Joey Keane.

Keane’s play on the defensive side of the puck has me very interested. Looking forward to his season on a (hopefully) much better Hartford team

Reactions: darko

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Steve, fantastic insight - especially the bit about Kakko & Kravstov's body language and presence on the bench. It's great to hear that these kids have the proper leadership qualities and pro attitudes as well as being elite prospects.

4 days... really, really, really want Kakko

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Interesting.

The thing I found interesting about the previous pod is how bullish Edge was on Joey Keane.

What makes Keane so interesting to me is that he fits the mold of what the Rangers are supposedly hoping to find in some defenseman this year --- he's the guy who potentially supports the guys focused on creating the offense.

Guys like ADA and Fox are going to get the attention because the skill level is high, and they tend to generate offensive numbers that jump off the page a bit more. But I think we've almost forgotten how solid Keane's progress over the last two years has been.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think about guys like Keane, Barron, Lindgren, Elmer, etc... those "tier 2" type prospects with a lot of promise and if just one of them hits it big that would be enormous for the club. The Rangers have built a lot of redundancy pretty much at every position in addition to some top flight players soon to include the #2 - but it would be huge for the club if one of these guys developed into a really good pro. I definitely think its achievable.

I also look at Lundkvist and with him potentially getting top pair minutes in Sweden next season that is another huge story for the team. I can totally see him slowly growing into a steady Stralman type player and those are super valuable in today's league.

In addition - I don't think its make or break for the Rangers by any means - but could you imagine if Andersson took off this year and really solidified himself as a very good two-way pivot on one of the bottom lines? That would be tremendous and it would begin to turn this roster into something scary with Miller on the horizon.

You gotta think the law of averages that one of these guys would jump up and "surprise" us?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think about guys like Keane, Barron, Lindgren, Elmer, etc... those "tier 2" type prospects with a lot of promise and if just one of them hits it big that would be enormous for the club. The Rangers have built a lot of redundancy pretty much at every position in addition to some top flight players soon to include the #2 - but it would be huge for the club if one of these guys developed into a really good pro. I definitely think its achievable.

I also look at Lundkvist and with him potentially getting top pair minutes in Sweden next season that is another huge story for the team. I can totally see him slowly growing into a steady Stralman type player and those are super valuable in today's league.

In addition - I don't think its make or break for the Rangers by any means - but could you imagine if Andersson took off this year and really solidified himself as a very good two-way pivot on one of the bottom lines? That would be tremendous and it would begin to turn this roster into something scary with Miller on the horizon.

You gotta think the law of averages that one of these guys would jump up and "surprise" us?

The acquisition of higher-end talent can be a little bit of a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, it allows certain prospects to develop a bit more comfortably and without the expectations getting out of hand.

On the other hand, it's almost easy to forget about the potential and upside of the players who more comfortably settle into roles/projections that aren't entirely wrapped up in whether they're 50 or 60 point players, or other factors.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Great discussion. Two fantastic guests in a row.

And I absolutely agree that we're starting to reach the point where it starts to make sense to convert some of your prospect depth into quantity for quality offers...

...but all of a sudden I'm at the end, and you've somehow talked yourself into the cost for a deal with Buffalo, being:

#7OA

for

Kreider, Vesey, Georgiev, AND Miller/Lundqvist​

:laugh:

Reactions: GregSirico

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

And I absolutely agree that we're starting to reach the point where it starts to make sense to convert some of your prospect depth into quantity for quality offers...

...but all of a sudden I'm at the end, and you've somehow talked yourself into the cost for a deal with Buffalo, being:

#7OA

for

+ the 20th OA this year or a 2020 lottery protected pick. I probably wasn't clear on that.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

#7OA

for

That is brutal.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
7 for 20, 28 (last years), a year of a 25g/20a winger, a depth winger, and a backup goalie is probably about right if you're high enough on the goalie
The goalie is still a question mark let's be honest. But for Buffalo to compete right now, he's the best answer out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad