Speculation: Babcock's Future - Post Playoff Talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Such a cop out. Just gotta watch. I watched every minute of this series and plenty of several others. Our physicality and grit were not the reason we lost. Period.
We had the honor of having the worst PK in modern playoff history. No other factor was even close to this. Any claim to the opposite can't be anything else than trying to force a narrative.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
In a similar manner as Lou, Babcock has helped to establish the new culture with the team. Moreove, in a similar manner as the successor of Lou was ready to take over for the positive direction of the team, the successor of Babs is ready.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
We had the honor of having the worst PK in modern playoff history. No other factor was even close to this. Any claim to the opposite can't be anything else than trying to force a narrative.

Tampa's was actually worse ;).

But this is kind of why I'm not exactly concerned about our team going forward.

Babcock coached teams have almost always been a middle-of-the-pack PKing team... ranging from 6th - 17th in the NHL in hte last 10 years. I think our PK will rebound a bit next year.

We're already a good 5v5 team, any improvement in our special teams, and we'll be a better team IMO.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Not sure how people can criticize Babcock for not playing his best players while supporting Dubas for choosing the lowest performing backup and continuing to backfill defensive depth with known failures.
Both Babcock and Dubas should be read the riot act.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Not sure how people can criticize Babcock for not playing his best players while supporting Dubas for choosing the lowest performing backup and continuing to backfill defensive depth with known failures.
The difference is that one acknowleged his mistakes and the other stubbornly thinks it's on every one else to improve. Which is more likely to change?

Reactions: hullsy47

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Rosen, Borgman, Gardiner were all hurt. No team is going to have awesome depth to step right in. Babcock wouldn't even play Holl, or Oz towards the end so he can't complain about depth

Reactions: cookie

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Rosen, Borgman, Gardiner were all hurt. No team is going to have awesome depth to step right in. Babcock wouldn't even play Holl, or Oz towards the end so he can't complain about depth
The issues with the defense were known for quite awhile. Sandin played well in the preseason. He is a decent puck mover. Why not move him on the team with less than 10 games left in the regular season? Something would be better than nothing. It would have given the team some options. Far too few options on a playoff round.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The difference is that one acknowleged his mistakes and the other stubbornly thinks it's on every one else to improve. Which is more likely to change?
Why is it important that mistakes are publicly acknowledged?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

I mean... When both Bobby Mac and Chris Johnston are saying it....

I'd be sad, I don't want anything good to happen to Edmonton and Babcock is a good coach. It would be hilarious seeing McDavid playing under 20 minutes though.

Who knows, maybe he does well there. But he's not the right fit here anymore

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wasn't one of the reasons he chose Toronto was his wifes desire to live in a big city?
If so, good luck selling her on Edmonton.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Greeeat so hindsight vs poor active decisions.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I mean... When both Bobby Mac and Chris Johnston are saying it....

I'd be sad, I don't want anything good to happen to Edmonton and Babcock is a good coach. It would be hilarious seeing McDavid playing under 20 minutes though.

Knowing our f***ing luck Babcock will fix all his shortcomings and they will make it farther than the Leafs next year if he leaves.

Being a Leaf fan has made me jaded.

I don't really care, I just want change after how this season ended.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Maybe Babcock just steps down, goes to Edmonton, and the Leafs can promote Keefe

If he and Dubas are truly not seeing eye to eye on things, they could mutually agree to part ways... Especially with Holland going to Edmonton - Babs sees that as a new opportunity with McDavid out there.

Also isn't Buffalo still looking for a coach? They were the runner up a few years ago.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Because the “industry” has passed him by. Marleau has had a stellar career, but it’s like watching an old timer who was at the top of his game in the 80s and 90s struggle to work Excel or a Word document, yet he keeps getting the lead on these big projects despite there being younger, more capable employees out there. Marleau, like the business man may still be able to offer sage advice and tutelage, but he should not be the one doing the actual job.

As for the rest, aside from it being dismissive of any new blood or ideas, I’d argue that the new blood DID figure it out, but the dinosaur at the helm self-sabotaged.

Leafs have gone back to “old retreads” like you want (Fletcher, Burke, Wilson, Carlyle) and all of them failed to even make the playoffs in a full 82 game season. It took new blood Shanahan coming in and putting this team through a much needed rebuild that has us where we are today.

I officially tuned him out as soon as he went to the crutch 'young and entitled' narrative. It's such lazy bullshit peddled by those people who chose to not like or even try to understand those coming behind them. It's just more closeminded idiocy that we simply don't need, anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad