Babcock thread: Decision Expected 5/20/15 (SEE MOD WARNING IN OP AND POST 568)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This

SJ had a stanley cup winning caliber roster... Choked

Granato wasnt that good of a coach. Very good AC though I think.

Hitchcock is the same. Choker

Hitchcock is actually a good coach. As those who still remember those Dallas teams in the late 90's. But his style is dead in 2015.

All he is good for is the regular season. Two years, tops.

If Babcock is gone, just go with Blashill. McLellan just makes no sense.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hitchcock is actually a good coach. As those who still remember those Dallas teams in the late 90's. But his style is dead in 2015.

All he is good for is the regular season. Two years, tops.

If Babcock is gone, just go with Blashill. McLellan just makes no sense.

The Stanley cup that wasnt even Dallas's :shakehead :cry:

Agree. Pretty good in reg easson

Mclellan is just terrible. :shakehead .. for this team anyway

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
I don't think there is a better coach in the NHL today. If management decides to let Babcock go, I can only hope we will find another coach who (1) is almost as good as Babcock but (2) gets better overall results because he also provides a fresh voice.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Without Babcock this roster might have hudler, filpulla and a fresher datsyuk and zetterberg.

Dats and Z might even be better had Bowman coached them.. Could have also been worse but I doubt it

Filp and Hudler might actually be good. Because the new coach might actually let them play. rather then try to be something they are not. Grinders

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
He dumped Babs twice, so not sure what you're getting at, out coached him both times...

What has Babs accomplished without him as his right-hand man in the NHL. Listing Team Canada accomplishments isn't something I am interested in paying him for.

And I guess those were the highlights of his SJ tenure. Some accomplishment. Look at the talent those teams had and they never even made it to the Finals. Never really came close. Nothing about their identity changed under McClellan.

Babcock took over a Wings team when they looked to be on the downswing. It took him 2 years to completely turn them around from the country club run by Lewis. He won the President's trophy his first year here, took them to a closely fought WCF his 2nd year and had a Cup by year 3. I guess if you want to argue McClellan was essential for all that, I can't refute you but 2009 without him was still better than anything McClellan accomplished in SJ.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Without Babcock this roster might have hudler, filpulla and a fresher datsyuk and zetterberg.

We would also have a forward logjam.

Hudler burned his bridge by bolting to the KHL. I'm happy for him as he has found a better situation...but he was never going to receive the minutes here that he does in Calgary.

Filpulla is the same guy that he was in Detroit. A tease.

The 2016 thread would be littered with dreams of getting rid of him.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
I believe that change is good, but only when only when all other options have been exhausted. The players still believe in the system Mike preaches. It's astonishing to think that we were 11th in the league in goals against per game when you look at our defensive core. Mike did an exemplary job with the tools that he was given.

My opinion is Holland needs to step down. It's Holland himself who said in this days NHL you need to build through the draft, yet he acques an aging Cole and Zidlicky and trades away picks in one of the deepest drafts this decade. At the time the Wings were almost unstoppable, but you can't suggest that the addition of those two pieces would have inched us over the edge to a cup title. Making 24 straight postseason appearances is fantastic, a true testiment to the success of this club. But most of the time it seems as though were playing to make the playoffs, not succeed once we get there. I don't think Holland has adjusted very well to a post cap era. I think our scouts have done a great job in bringing over phenomenal talent but we need someone to be able to work with the coach and go out and make big signings and make deals which compliment the coaches gameplan. The relationship between Babcock and Holland seems lobotomized at times with each trying to show their worth to ownership by means of personal stature. While the workload of having a combined GM/Coach makes the idea unfeasible you need to have two individuals who are united in their plan of the team. Unfortunately Mike and Ken are two egos who apart are brilliant at their jobs, together sadly don't complement one another well enough to push this team along any further.

My biggest concern with letting Babcock go and keeping Holland is I believe this event will become cyclical and Jeff will be stuck coaching a team Ken scrapes together, instead of being a team Jeff wants. Maybe I'm wrong who knows, it just seems as though Kenny puts less and less on the table with each passing year. If one is going to go than both should go.

sjr2015

Feb 24, 2015
CROSWELL
That is going to happen with or without Babcock, if you give them the Wings current defense. When your GM's only goal is to build a team good enough to make the playoffs, you are going to lose with regularity in the first round.

agree with this roster wings don't make the po:shakehead

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I think Babcock makes his decision based off who or what is going to be done in the off season.

If there's already a big trade or signing mustered up, he'll stay. If not, fine.

Blash coached these young guys for a while, could he really good. A new voice and system
Could be good.

Losing Babcock you know what you're losing though which is a bit scary.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I think Babcock makes his decision based off who or what is going to be done in the off season.

If there's already a big trade or signing mustered up, he'll stay. If not, fine.

Blash coached these young guys for a while, could he really good. A new voice and system
Could be good.

Losing Babcock you know what you're losing though which is a bit scary.

Bingo.

You hit the NITC.

wingsfan33

Jun 12, 2013
Blashill is the choice ... Surprised no ones mentioned paul maclean here or anywhere I've dead as an Option much rather have him than McClellan

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Without babcock this roster dosent make the playoffs..

You mean the same roster Babcock said was as good as the 2009 team? The only reason they needed the final game of the regular season to make it in is because the team only won like 3 games in regulation the final quarter of the season. That's on Babcock.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I want the franchise to crash with Blash. Only way we are going to get an elite talent is through the draft. Gotta crater in order to get the top talent.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
We would also have a forward logjam.

Hudler burned his bridge by bolting to the KHL. I'm happy for him as he has found a better situation...but he was never going to receive the minutes here that he does in Calgary.

Filpulla is the same guy that he was in Detroit. A tease.

The 2016 thread would be littered with dreams of getting rid of him.

Not saying filpulla is an all star. He's a good 3rd line center, and he'd have done a better job saving 13 and 40's mileage than Weiss. I don't see Detroit as a team thats been close to having a logjam of productive fwds.

are we talking about hudler, the guy who flipped the bird at his teammates to go back to europe?

We're talking about a hypothetical situation in which that wouldnt have had to happen.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
You mean the same roster Babcock said was as good as the 2009 team? The only reason they needed the final game of the regular season to make it in is because the team only won like 3 games in regulation the final quarter of the season. That's on Babcock.

or the team babcock said 9 months ago wasnt a playoff team?

you think this exact roster minus mike babcock and in with jeff blashill makes the playoffs and goes further then game 7?

to each their own but i give the nhls top coach more credit than that

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
100% agree that Babcock was the reason this team made the playoffs, but I think his time is done here and that his team needs a new voice and direction. If our GM had any balls there would be big changes coming up, especially on defense and there would be trading of guys like Nyquist while they're stock is still high. But Babs ship has sailed here time for a new coach and new era.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
or the team babcock said 9 months ago wasnt a playoff team?

you think this exact roster minus mike babcock and in with jeff blashill makes the playoffs and goes further then game 7?

to each their own but i give the nhls top coach more credit than that

Maybe Blashill coaches them better during the regular season and they don't have to play Tampa in the first round. Either way, I'd rather go with a new guy who coached and developed 80% of the current roster. He deserves the opportunity at least. If he crashes and burns at the NHL level, then oh well. Good try.

Many people here often complain about how this organization shows too much loyalty to players that are way beyond their expiration date. Babcock has hit this point. He's Dan Cleary 2011-12 right now. It's best to move on and get younger than bringing the old dog back.

sjr2015

Feb 24, 2015
CROSWELL
im curious to see this team move on but at the same time not ready to see a new coach come in and totally **** the bed and stopping another chance for Z and D to get another cup

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Maybe Blashill coaches them better during the regular season and they don't have to play Tampa in the first round. Either way, I'd rather go with a new guy who coached and developed 80% of the current roster. He deserves the opportunity at least. If he crashes and burns at the NHL level, then oh well. Good try.

Many people here often complain about how this organization shows too much loyalty to players that are way beyond their expiration date. Babcock has hit this point. He's Dan Cleary 2011-12 right now. It's best to move on and get younger than bringing the old dog back.

while i dont disagree with your analogy its the figurehead who you have as dan cleary that i think is wrong, its ken holland...

this is KH's roster and its this roster that isnt a playoff roster without babcock

this roster isnt a top roster, its defence is/was easily the worst of all 16 playoff teams and likely a few non-playoff teams and we dont have enough size and skill combined with size anywhere on the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad