Rumor: Babcock linked to Pens rumors

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I feel Blashill is better at development of players, and with all the young guys, I would guess thats the direction management would want.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
the only thing left to figure out is when the reigns are passed to him from Babs and where Babs ends up next.

Well, Toronto just held on to a lame duck Carlyle. Plus The Shanahan connection.

Dallas and Tampa Bay have strong Babcock connections for obvious reasons.

If Pittsburgh disappoints again next year.....

He could succeed Red at Michigan, if he still wants that.

Every year there are usually 4 or 5 random openings. I'm sure he would be welcome to any of those.

He'll be welcome to an extension in Detroit too, but he is in grass is greener mode right now it would seem.

Basically he can have whatever he wants. Too bad we couldn't trade him. His value would shock posters here!

Last edited:

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Watch Babs leave next year and Blashill get a better offer from another team and go there

What is a "better offer" elsewhere? It certainly can't be money - the Wings won't lose the coach they're grooming to money. So why does a long-time Michigan-based guy leave the organization when the current NHL team he's associated with is now essentially an extension of the AHL team he won a championship with?

I honestly can't think of a single reason Blashill wouldn't want to take over from Babs above all else.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It's not much better. Firing him with one year left on his deal isn't that big of deal.

If I recall correctly the 2 yr extension means Carlyle now has 3 yrs (1 that was left + 2 yr extension)

So firing next year before extension kicks in doesn't seem practical (Would be paying 2 coaches for 2 years)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I have never felt that Babcock is a guy you want steering a young team because he doesn't seem overly happy with idea of putting young players in situations to learn from mistakes and would rather play whatever vet he has on roster over them

There was a time on the season (at 50 game mark) when Holland gave a permit for Babcock to use the best possible players on the roster to hit the playoffs.

Babcock instantly benched those washed up veterans and went with kids. And we reached the playoff spot.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
There was a time on the season (at 50 game mark) when Holland gave a permit for Babcock to use the best possible players on the roster to hit the playoffs.

Babcock instantly benched those washed up veterans and went with kids. And we reached the playoff spot.

And it was Babcock who talked about wanting Smith and Ericsson for years before he got them, same with Helm. Holland loves his veterans, he's loved his veterans long before Babcock got here. Luckily for Holland the veterans have been the best players over the years.

I don't really care about anything that's said in the media or the idea that a coach or GM always has each other's backs, that's just how franchises work.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
What is a "better offer" elsewhere? It certainly can't be money - the Wings won't lose the coach they're grooming to money. So why does a long-time Michigan-based guy leave the organization when the current NHL team he's associated with is now essentially an extension of the AHL team he won a championship with?

I honestly can't think of a single reason Blashill wouldn't want to take over from Babs above all else.

I dont think it will happen but it would royally screw us

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Why can't Babcock stay a few more years for Pavel+Hank and have Blashill be the assistant? What's wrong with that....

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
He'd also play Crosby and Malkin probably 4-5 minutes less per game and their point totals will drop pretty hard. Can they even win if those two play fewer minutes?

I hope he goes to Pittsburgh for this reason and the fact Crosby/Malkin would be forced to play more of a 2 way game under Babcock. I would love to see how much their point totals change with Babcock as coach.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I hope he goes to Pittsburgh for this reason and the fact Crosby/Malkin would be forced to play more of a 2 way game under Babcock. I would love to see how much their point totals change with Babcock as coach.

They'll have to change regardless, their current playstyle isn't working.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Why can't Babcock stay a few more years for Pavel+Hank and have Blashill be the assistant? What's wrong with that....

Blashill will likely get a head coaching opportunity in the NHL. Would you rather have a six figure job or a seven figure job?

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Blashill will likely get a head coaching opportunity in the NHL. Would you rather have a six figure job or a seven figure job?

If someone told me you could be an assistant for 2-3 years with arguably the best head coach in the league with a team with Zetterberg and Datsyuk on it? With 8 or so players you coached in GR for a few years and know very well? IF healthy a scary team that always is in the playoffs and could be a cup contender? Then become the head coach?

That's what I'd do....

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I sure hope he goes to Pittsburgh or any other team, not so much because he's a bad coach because he IS good, but he's been here TOO long, and it's NOT worth the risk losing Blashill who MUST coach the wings sooner rather than later.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If someone told me you could be an assistant for 2-3 years with arguably the best head coach in the league with a team with Zetterberg and Datsyuk on it? With 8 or so players you coached in GR for a few years and know very well? IF healthy a scary team that always is in the playoffs and could be a cup contender? Then become the head coach?

That's what I'd do....

Did Yzerman wait for Ken Holland to retire to become the GM? Did Jim Nil? You don't wait because you never know. Maybe Babcock decides he wants to stay for another five years? NHL head coaching opportunities don't come around all the time. Make no mistake, Blashill wants a head coaching job. Period.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan

That's what I'd do....

MOD I take the extra 0 on my paycheck every time.

Last edited by a moderator:

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan

That's what I'd do....

Is that not what happened 3 years ago? The guy wants to progress his career, not be in the same place he was 3 years ago.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
The two possible scenarios that the PGH media have speculated on in the last few days are:

1) Mutual agreement: NYR-VAN style swap, somehow the Pens talk the Wings into swapping coaches, both are let go and then hired by the other team. Pens foot the bill on buyouts, etc..

2) Diabolical scheme: Babcock's camp uses leaks, "sources" and spin it such that the Wings are left with an unhappy lame-duck coach situation. Leaks that he is disgruntled, rejects contract offers, will not be back in Detroit under any circumstances, etc...eventually the Wings decide it's best to just let him go and move on.

Sound like Hollywood fiction but weirder things have happened before in sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad