Rumor: Babcock linked to Pens rumors

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I always found it interesting that Blashill was an assistant under Babs for a year and then took over the Griffins, as if he were Babs apprentice.

The only way I'll be concerned about the coaching situation in Detroit is if somehow both Babcock and Blashill leave in the same season.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Kahn's responses to people asking on Twitter:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1h
He indicated after season he's not signing extension, leaving options open for both sides after 2014-15.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1h
Has one year left on contract, so I'd expect him to be here next season. After that, who knows?

That doesn't sound good at all.

I don't think his relationship with Holland is helping the case either. It seems like they're not on the same page more times than not.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Both Babcock and Q have that obsession with vets who cant cut it anymore but still findthemselves in top 6 role

Handzus is nearly done (Still can PK) is Q's version of Cleary

Its understandable that Q would have some extra loyalty to Zus given there time in Stl and his respect for him but man was it awful watching Kane play with Handzus as his C most of year

IMO it all comes down to the GM giving them the players who force their hands. Handzus isn't good anymore, but Pirri was never going to work and you can't force a kid on a coach looking to win now when the kid hasn't shown an ability to play against top lines. It's all about trust at the highest level and until you gain trust or trust is forced on you, it makes sense to go back to something familiar.

Honestly, I think both the GM and the coach are on the same page. If the GM didn't think it was working, he would do something to correct it. I understand the GM generally lets the coach make all of the decisions, but when you're in it to win, you don't sit on your hands.

Obviously everything is working for Chicago, so I don't think this is really anything of consequence. If Chicago loses, it definitely won't be because Handzus is playing. The same was true for the issues that most people have with Babcock. When the Wings lose, it's not because Abdelkader is on the top line or Cleary was playing, but in most cases you need to put yourself in the best position to win, but it's very rarely that razor thin.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
isn't this the same guy that pretty much said like a week or two ago that he's not leaving the area no matter what in the next couple years because of his daughter and he would go be an assistant coach at Michigan if he had to?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Would you say Babcock was forced to play youth this year because of injuries , etc? Or do you think he would have played youth this year no matter what?

I have never felt that Babcock is a guy you want steering a young team because he doesn't seem overly happy with idea of putting young players in situations to learn from mistakes and would rather play whatever vet he has on roster over them

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
LOL Pascal Dupuis, Brooks Orpik, and Taylor Pyatt all moved up a line and had their ice time double just on this rumour alone. Maatta sorry back to the AHL for you.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Would you say Babcock was forced to play youth this year because of injuries , etc? Or do you think he would have played youth this year no matter what?

I have never felt that Babcock is a guy you want steering a young team because he doesn't seem overly happy with idea of putting young players in situatinos to learn from mistakes and would rather play whatever vet he has on roster over them

I don't think there's a coach in the league that legitimately wants to play young players over proven veterans. It's a fact that Babcock had no choice but to play the young players, but it worked out for the best. Just like the cap system worked out for the best for the Wings and have remained successful. I think we'd all rather see our coach and GM be extremely proactive, but if it always seems to work out, who cares? And by saying that, I'm not giving them a free pass, but as a fan of the team, all I care about is if the Wings win and do well. I don't care if Babcock is the coach or Holland is the GM, only if the Wings are winning.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The firing of Shero makes this far more likely. Babcock is going to have total control if he leaves the Wings. Honestly if he won't sign a minimum of three year contract, we are better off turning to Blashill.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm going to throw up with all of these Babcock leaving rumors, anybody know where these rumors started??

Toronto columnists originally started the "Babcock should come to TO" stuff, and now Pittsburgh media had to get in on the act.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I have a feeling babs will leave after this year

No question in my mind, something is up with Babcock and the Wings.

For the Wings to come out early and announce that nobody was allowed to talk to Blashill... that is strange. Usually teams don't prevent their minor league coaches from moving their careers along. Especially when the Red Wings already have a (younger) current coach of the year candidate, who has won everything there is to win.

Also strange for Babcock to say he doesn't want to talk about an extension until after the year. If he wants to be in Detroit... an extension is logical, right?

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I have never felt that Babcock is a guy you want steering a young team because he doesn't seem overly happy with idea of putting young players in situatinos to learn from mistakes and would rather play whatever vet he has on roster over them

Whenever it came down to taking an own zone faceoff with less than a minute left in the game, Luke Glendening was taking a lot of those faceoffs. So he does trust some of these guys to an extent. Jurco was playing over Bertuzzi and Samuelsson most of the time as well.

I think Babcock just saw the chemistry these guys had and how well they play together, and eventually warmed up to them.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Toronto columnists originally started the "Babcock should come to TO" stuff, and now Pittsburgh media had to get in on the act.

But why would Babcock want to leave? That's the only thing I can't figure out. The guy's been the best coach in the league since he's started with the Wings. 9 straight postseason appearances, 2 Finals appearances, and he's said he loves it in Detroit.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
But why would Babcock want to leave? That's the only thing I can't figure out. The guy's been the best coach in the league since he's started with the Wings. 9 straight postseason appearances, 2 Finals appearances, and he's said he loves it in Detroit.

I also remember Babs saying once that coaches shouldn't stay in one place too long, since their messages can get stale. Perhaps that's how he feels here.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

More money, new challenges, etc.

He's been in Detroit for nine years and hasn't gotten this team to the final four in five years. Time to move on.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No question in my mind, something is up with Babcock and the Wings.

For the Wings to come out early and announce that nobody was allowed to talk to Blashill... that is strange. Usually teams don't prevent their minor league coaches from moving their careers along. Especially when the Red Wings already have a (younger) current coach of the year candidate, who has won everything there is to win.

Also strange for Babcock to say he doesn't want to talk about an extension until after the year. If he wants to be in Detroit... an extension is logical, right?

Yeah this isn't trending correctly at all.

My guess is Babcock wants more control and he logically isn't going to get much more than he already has in Detroit with Holland around.

I also think the Wings can play hardball back on his demands with Blashill in Grand Rapids. So is it just negotiations??? Feels like it is trending towards bluffs actually being called and a change to me.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Babcock will finish his contract... At that point yes he will probably move on. Blashill will take over as planned.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Go to a team with a better, younger core, that has a better chance of winning a Cup?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I'm surprised so many of you thought he'd be sticking around past this contract.

I think both the team and Babcock himself believe every coach has a lifespan with a single franchise. 10 years is a lot longer than most would last in one spot.

It's pretty evident by the way he's been handled that Blashill is our next head coach, the only thing left to figure out is when the reigns are passed to him from Babs and where Babs ends up next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad