Post-Game Talk: Awooo 4 - Canucks 2 | Only two more games of this tomfoolery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Tryamkin hasn't refused demotion, yet. Why would he? Canucks are a good place to break into the NHL for him because they need some size on the blueline. He had no trouble clearing the net. He might be useful on the powerplay as an immoveable object? He plays within his limitations in league play, who cares if he tries stuff in preseason?

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
That seems to be the way Willie is thinking, for sure. Reminds me of when Vigneault raised a lot of eyebrows by splitting up the very effective duo of Kesler and Burrows, only to finally give us two balanced scoring units as a result. It could work.

Who Tanev's partner is, though, would be the biggest question.

Hutton and Tanev could play half the game.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
This is BS. He skates fine and makes a very good first pass, terrific with his stick and his body defensively. Does get caught out of position occasionally and no he's not going to catch Anthony Duclair. I thought Gudbranson was worse last night, though it's one game. Tryamkin should still be on the team, just not paired with Gudbranson.

None of those things were true last night. Luc's post was accurate.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hutton and Tanev could play half the game.

If we were going to split Tanev and Edler which I'm still against, I think a top 4 of Hutton-Tanev and Edler-Stecher would be decent. Problem is that Gudbranson seems to become a useless sack when not next to a really good puckmover. You could try him next to Larsen potentially, but with Stecher in the lineup I don't think you necessarily need Larsen. I really think Hutton-Tanev would be a very solid d pair.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol...it's only taken posters a couple of exhibition games to start wringing their hands about Gudbranson...he'll be fine, but at 24 he isn't going to morph into something he isn't...Florida obviously didn't like his overall possession stats and weren't prepared to pay him, so after his strong performance in the playoffs last year, they may have thought they were trading him "at the top of the market' so to speak. Only time will tell. But no doubt he's going to find it tougher to play in the Western Conference than in Florida, where he was surrounded by good d-men.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What do you guys think of splitting up Edler and Tanev and have a more balanced top 6?

Edler and Stecher seem to have some real chemistry by the looks of it. And Tanev can really stabilize a 3rd pairing.

That way we can still roll 3 pairings rather evenly.

I've suggested this for a while.

Elder-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Whoever-Gudbranson

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

Elder-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Whoever-Gudbranson

If we had Hamhuis still that would be money but Sbisa, Pedan or Tryamkin with Gudbranson would be a disaster. If we still had Hamhuis we could do this too which I like even more:

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Hamhuis-Stetcher

Great mix of defense and offense on each pairing. Larsen and either Sbisa or Tryamkin as the 7th and 8th dmen. Pedan and Biega as the next in line callups.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If we had Hamhuis still that would be money but Sbisa, Pedan or Tryamkin with Gudbranson would be a disaster. If we still had Hamhuis we could do this too which I like even more:

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Hamhuis-Stetcher

Great mix of defense and offense on each pairing. Larsen and either Sbisa or Tryamkin as the 7th and 8th dmen. Pedan and Biega as the next in line callups.

Hamhuis is finished. Long finished

Edler Tanev
Hutty Guberson
Sbisa Stretchy

Will have to do for now but im thinking Benning will have to trade Sbisa to make room for the fat Trammer or the Oiler reject Larsen

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Hamhuis is finished. Long finished

Edler Tanev
Hutty Guberson
Sbisa Stretchy

Will have to do for now but im thinking Benning will have to trade Sbisa to make room for the fat Trammer or the Oiler reject Larsen

Really? Fat and reject?

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

Elder-Stecher
Hutton-Tanev
Whoever-Gudbranson

Hutton-Tanev would be nice. Honestly Edler looked a little lost with Tanev as his D partner and this is coming from one of the biggest Edler fans on this board.

I wouldn't mind picking up a waiver wire D for the last LD spot - Mayfield (NYI) another ex Flame like Tyler Wotherspoon (hometown kid too)

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Hutton-Tanev would be nice. Honestly Edler looked a little lost with Tanev as his D partner and this is coming from one of the biggest Edler fans on this board.

I wouldn't mind picking up a waiver wire D for the last LD spot - Mayfield (NYI) another ex Flame like Tyler Wotherspoon (hometown kid too)

Edler-Tanev is one of the best pairing we have. Why would you disrupt something that worked in the past?

Gudbranson is a complete waste of space. Stupid penalties and overall a bad game. How we paid a hefty price for a bottom pair D?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Edler-Tanev is one of the best pairing we have. Why would you disrupt something that worked in the past?

Gudbranson is a complete waste of space. Stupid penalties and overall a bad game. How we paid a hefty price for a bottom pair D?

This exactly

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

If Stecher works with Edler I would consider playing Tanev with Hutton. Tanev is good with anyone and so it seems with Hutton looking good with anyone. That pairing would have great mobility, great passes from its own zone, Tanev can cover for Hutton letting him roam.

Hutton - Tanev
Edler - Stecher

Could be a decent top 4, if Stecher can hold it together, this should allow Edler-Stecher to get more offensive matchups, shelter Stecher a bit.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I prefer Hutton Gudbranson TBH.

They looked really good together against McDavid. Honestly, I do not think we should be moving Gudbranson around as much as we have. He's a new defensemen still getting used to the system/new teammates. Moving him around seems like a silly thing to do.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

They looked really good together against McDavid. Honestly, I do not think we should be moving Gudbranson around as much as we have. He's a new defensemen still getting used to the system/new teammates. Moving him around seems like a silly thing to do.

I agree. He's just learning the system and there's bumps to be expected in it. Hopefully he plays the remaining games with Hutton as was expected.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Did you see Trammer?
Do you know what happend to Larsen?

When will you learn to not base entire player assessments over 1 game?
Larsen rejected the Oilers and has looked pretty good over the last few games. You can see his puck moving skills, offensive instincts and passing ability beginning to shine...

I mean I guess you can call 6'7 people fat because they're huge but you're probably calling him fat cause he couldn't catch up to Anthony Duclair from a standstill. He had a tough game, but what about his other quality games? They don't count right?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

I agree with this.

Hilarious that after a few exhibition games the fanbase is already calling out EG. If that's how we measure veteran players than half the roster every year is terrible. I would be shocked after being directly brought in to compliment Hutton that the first regular season games would be without him.

The interesting one for me is how well Stecher with his dynamic play has complimented Edler who can be a little sluggish from time to time. Would solve a big issue of having a 3rd pair with 2 wild cards if we rolled

Hutton Gudbranson
Edler Stecher
Sbisa Tanev

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm impressed with Stecher as well but I think that people are trying to be too accommodating to a kid. You have to consider the 5 other defensemen. Stecher should play with another LHD to see what we have before throwing the whole D into a blender.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm impressed with Stecher as well but I think that people are trying to be too accommodating to a kid. You have to consider the 5 other defensemen. Stecher should play with another LHD to see what we have before throwing the whole D into a blender.

4 5 and 6 are all new or up for grabs, give or take Sbisa, it is a blender anyway as there is no returning #4.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
4 5 and 6 are all new or up for grabs, give or take Sbisa, it is a blender anyway as there is no returning #4.

I get what TPM is saying though: fit the kids around Edler and Tanev, not the other way around.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As Artie Johnson used to say "Velly Inttelesting". Sorry puppies you have to be old enough.

I caught lots of flak the past couple of weeks from quite a few posters when I criticized Jim for giving Tryamkin the "out" clause. Now that he's not doing so well, and it looks like he could really benefit from some AHL time, all of a sudden the "out" clause isn't looking so good anymore. It means if they want to keep a hold on this guy, they have to put him on the roster ready or not. Good decision?

Guess we'll see about that as the season progresses or maybe Jim eats some more pride and just says AHL or go home. I'd give him credit if he did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad