Post-Game Talk: Awooo 4 - Canucks 2 | Only two more games of this tomfoolery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Ben Kuzma: Stecher scripts some pretty tall pre-season tales

stecherpng0916svanedm-11_230212694.jpg

Troy Stecher in pre-season action. Nick Procaylo / PNG

For a guy who’s short in stature, Troy Stecher continues to author some pretty tall NHL pre-season tales.

In a moment that may have been lost on many Sunday at Rogers Arena, the diminutive defenceman went into a cornerboards battle with the big and wide Tomas Hertl. He not only came away with the puck with a feisty demeanour against the surprised San Jose Sharks centre, he quickly transitioned to lead a spirited rush.

Click heading for more.

Last edited by a moderator:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Roster will be interesting tonight. I'd imagine Granlund is back in, and maybe Gaunce finally gets a day off. Heard the Sedins-Eriksson will only be playing in the final pre-season game. WD said Sutter will be playing.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Excited to see Markstrom tonight. :clap:

From that roster tonight I would guess

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin
Ruutu - Granlund - Burrows
Skille - Sutter - Dorsett
Rendulic - Chaput - Etem

Edler - Stecher
Gudbranson - Hutton
Tryamkin - Larsen

Markstrom

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I find it really interesting that Stecher has been basically attached to Edler all pre-season. I mean, if they were thinking of starting him in the NHL I don't think it would be beside Edler, but we haven't seen him with one of his likely partners (probably one of Tryamkin/Biega/Sbisa). Speaking of Sbisa ... is this guy still on the team? He doesn't appear to be in the plans.

I think Ruutu may actually earn a contract if he keeps up his level of play from the Sharks game. Etem will probably be on his way to Utica.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Etem and Dorsett draw in again, much to everyone's delight.

How long does it take to get back from the world cup? Are we going to see the swedes at all in pre season?

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I think tonight is the ultimate test for Ruutu to see if a 33-year old can show the same energy level back to back.

I've really liked him though. Unfortunately he's slow and looks pretty beat up. But I do like the physicality and skill he brings. I think he's also shown he can play all three forward positions. He'd be a pretty sweet addition to the fourth line.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Etem and Dorsett draw in again, much to everyone's delight.

How long does it take to get back from the world cup? Are we going to see the swedes at all in pre season?

Willie D said during his post-game presser last night that the Swede line will only get action in the final preseason game.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Calling it. The Canucks will send Stecher to Utica before Sbisa even gets in a preseason game and Canucks fans will lose it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think tonight is the ultimate test for Ruutu to see if a 33-year old can show the same energy level back to back.

I've really liked him though. Unfortunately he's slow and looks pretty beat up. But I do like the physicality and skill he brings. I think he's also shown he can play all three forward positions. He'd be a pretty sweet addition to the fourth line.

Agree that this is a big test. Although really, I haven't been blown away by his slowness - he moves his feet slowly, but his strides seem to carry him quite far. Haven't really seen him chasing the play all that much.

Not that he's fast - just not especially slow, if that makes sense. Ruutu would definitely bring a welcome versatility to the lineup if he manages to make it. Will be interesting to see him and Skille going at it in the same game. I think both have really worked hard to this point in the camp.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
So far I would say Gaunce has played his way onto the team. Etem is likely the odd man out (though still safe as the 13th F). Stecher is obviously the mover on D, though I think he gets sent to Utica as the first call up. Up front, I think Labate has shown flashes of being a useful bottom 6 player. He doesn't make the team, but he's a guy to keep tabs on in Utica. If the Canucks need a bottom 6 injury replacement I could see him getting a call up. Rodin, at the moment, should be penciled in with Horvat and Baertschi, leaving Big Country in Utica.

Larsen hasn't shown enough to warrant a lineup spot (though I think he sticks as the 8th). Need to see more from Pedan and Tryamkin, but I'd have both of them ahead of Larsen at the moment.

Currently I have it:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Gaunce - Granlund - Dorsett
Etem

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Sbisa - Tryamkin
Pedan
Larsen

With Stecher going to Utica and playing big minutes and anchoring the PP (along with Subban).

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
We're setting up a 3rd pairing of Sbisa-Tanev!

Edler-Stecher - Ozone starts and backing up the twins
Hutton-Gudbranson - shut down pairing
Sbisa-Tanev - quick skating depth pairing

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Sbisa - Tryamkin

I'm not sure you want this to be a thing if you're intending to win any hockey games. Unless you're giving the top four tons of ice and keeping these guys under 15 minutes per game. I think Larsen will at least start the season on the bottom pair, with Sbisa/Tryamkin rotating in on the left side. I'd agree Stetcher looks destined to start in Utica.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I don't think Stecher will make the team, not based on his performance but because of the log jam of defenceman this season. It will be more beneficial for him to get 1st line minutes in the AHL than being a 6/7th defenceman.

I think the likely defence corps going into the season will be:

Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Gudbranson
Tryamkin
Larsen
Sbisa

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't think Stecher will make the team, not based on his performance but because of the log jam of defenceman this season. It will be more beneficial for him to get 1st line minutes in the AHL than being a 6/7th defenceman.

I think the likely defence corps going into the season will be:

Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Gudbranson
Tryamkin
Larsen
Sbisa

there will likely be 8 D-men on the roster to start. I agree that Stecher should be sent down (more from an asset management standpoint). One of Pedan or Biega will be sent down unless they are waiver smart and send Tryamkin down.
All that said, the best 8 IMO are (accounting for the fact that Sbisa will be on the roster):
Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Gudbranson
Stecher
Tryamkin
Larsen
Sbisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events