Post-Game Talk: Awooo 4 - Canucks 2 | Only two more games of this tomfoolery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
Leaf fan living in Vancouver coming in peace :)

I try to keep up with the Canucks a little, but I can say that I didn't know who Tryamkin was before tonight. I thought he was absolutely dreadful, even my wife noticed how bad and asked who he was. I thought it was a rookie expecting to be sent down just getting some preseason time and that's what I told her. Now I see he's penciled in to the top6? ... Ugh... I know it's one game but he looked beer league. You guys have much better options.

That Rodin kid was flying, and Huttons goal was a beaut!

JA

I try to keep up with the Canucks a little, but I can say that I didn't know who Tryamkin was before tonight. I thought he was absolutely dreadful, even my wife noticed how bad and asked who he was. I thought it was a rookie expecting to be sent down just getting some preseason time and that's what I told her. Now I see he's penciled in to the top6? ... Ugh... I know it's one game but he looked beer league. You guys have much better options.

Tryamkin is a 22-year-old, 2014 third-round selection of the Canucks who arrived in Vancouver very late last season following the conclusion of his KHL team's postseason campaign.

He should be in the AHL, except he has an out-clause in his contract so that he can return to the KHL if he is ever reassigned to the minors. He is still a prospect who still has not played a full NHL season and needs development, but he has forced the Canucks with his contract not to treat him like one.

He is on the final year of his ELC, as although he played just 13 games last season, his NHL participation in 2015-16 burned the first year of the two-year deal.

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/3/8/vancouver-canucks-sign-nikita-tryamkin-to-entry-level-contract
Vancouver Canucks Sign Nikita Tryamkin to Entry-Level Contract
J.D. Burke
March 08 2016 08:55PM

The Vancouver Canucks and Nikita Tryamkin came to terms on an entry-level contract Tuesday, agreeing to a two-year pact valued at $1.85-million. Canucks general manager Jim Benning encountered paperwork hurdles to make the contract come to life but it appears as though it's just a matter of time before the towering Russian defender makes his Canucks debut.

Tryamkin's contract comes with a Russian "out-clause" that allows for a return to the KHL, should he not crack the Canucks roster and be assigned to the AHL. Although it's a two-year contract, the remainder of this season will count as a whole. Tryamkin will enter restricted free agency - barring an extension - next summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

He's not really penciled into the top6. We have a top4 that is set and then something of a log jam of rather uninspiring choices to fill out the depth. Tryamkin is a bit of a special case because he can bolt to Russia if the Canucks try to send him to the AHL, which complicates things a bit. If he's this bad though then they won't have a choice and our 5/6/7/8 will go to Sbisa/Larsen/Biega/Pedan in some order.

I expect Stecher to start the season in AHL.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
All those reports of Tryamkin's improved and impressive skating abilities were straight up lies.

Also, Stecher needs to make the team. I keep hearing about the Corrado situation as if it were a mistake, but even with the benefit of hindsight, I still absolutely think it was the right move, and was impressed with management that they made it at the time.

JA

He's not really penciled into the top6. We have a top4 that is set and then something of a log jam of rather uninspiring choices to fill out the depth. Tryamkin is a bit of a special case because he can bolt to Russia if the Canucks try to send him to the AHL, which complicates things a bit. If he's this bad though then they won't have a choice and our 5/6/7/8 will go to Sbisa/Larsen/Biega/Pedan in some order.

I expect Stecher to start the season in AHL.
I would expect the Canucks to try to convince him that he needs more time to develop. In his current state, he looks as though he would hinder this team's performance and hurt his own development.

If the team is confident that he can further improve in the KHL, then they should allow him to return with a verbal agreement in place for him to re-sign with the Canucks at a later point in time. This past year has given him a frame of reference for what he needs to do to improve; in order not to damage any good will between the two parties, he should be allowed to leave and then return after his next KHL contract expires. The last thing you would want to do is push him to the minors when he has an out-clause, or keep him in the NHL when he is not yet ready for it -- one would burn bridges between the two sides, and the other would damage his potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

He looked much better playing the right side (his natural side despite being a lefty). Looked lost against the coyotes playing the LS.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
- Sutter...I'm really questioning the decision to not give him more preseason action. Looked terribly rusty. Handled the puck like a live grenade, and skated like his skates were encased in concrete. Hope he plays every game from here on out. Like him or not, he's going to be an important part of the team.

How dare you speak ill of Sutter! He was the difference between us missing or making the playoffs last year, remember?!?

Seriously tho...I agree with you. For a guy who missed 60 games last season, ya think management might think it's a good idea for him to kick off the rust, eh?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Credit where credit is due-- Granlund has had a solid camp. I still think he's running out of time to establish himself, but this is the first time he's shown promise of a possibility of doing so. If he can build off it, he could be a piece.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
What do you guys think of splitting up Edler and Tanev and have a more balanced top 6?

Edler and Stecher seem to have some real chemistry by the looks of it. And Tanev can really stabilize a 3rd pairing.

That way we can still roll 3 pairings rather evenly.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Okay, enough is enough with this ********.
Tryamkin is NOT a good skater, I saw just awful skating strides, his acceleration is terrible, and his overall speed is nothing great.

What I saw today was a player who either 1 - got to fat in the offseason and lost a step, or 2 - simply was badly hyped as a skating big man without the skating.

That was not just a bad game for him, that is basically what Tryamkin is. The guy needs to take the next flight back to the KHL, and move on.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Also would like to mention that granlund clearly took the off-season serious, his skating, defensive play, and overall creativity in the offensive zone has been evident.

Impressive camp for him

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
One more post screw it. I was at the game and Labate was a lot better than people here give him credit, he was involved for a solid 40 minutes, which I can not say for most players.

He skated miles tonight, I expect a good corsi

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Does anybody know how many "too many men on the ice" penalties we had last year, and what it was in comparison to rest of the league??

Sp far this year we have at least 7 or 8 in 5 games.

Just brutal.

This has been a constant problem in Utica as well.......

banme*

Jun 7, 2014

You'd be surprised.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Tryamkin...I believe the phrase used about him (and others) is "He skates well...for a big man". Which when you boil it down usually means a player doesn't actually skate that well. And what I saw last night showed exactly this. He doesn't have the skating ability to recover if he gets caught out of position.

Gudbranson...I hope that isn't a sign of things to come. If he needs a Campbell or Hutton to pick his play up it isn't a good thing. It won't take long for the opposition to simply limit Hutton's time and force Gudbranson to be the puck mover. It's what the Sharks did to the Weber-Josi pairing. Weber was struggling and Josi was cutting them apart. They put guys on Josi immediately and forced Weber to be the puck mover...which didn't go well for the Preds.

I have a sneaking suspicion the canucks downgraded from Hamhuis to Gudbranson. The first pairing is the first pairing so in order for the top 4 to be better than last year Hutton will have to continue making those large strides. Spots 5-8 remain a disaster but at least there is a bright spot with Stecher (like Hutton last year). Essentially, through the pre-season thus far it appears to me that a lot of attention was paid to a blueline where the end result is tire spinning.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Tryamkin is NOT a good skater, I saw just awful skating strides, his acceleration is terrible, and his overall speed is nothing great.

What I saw today was a player who either 1 - got to fat in the offseason and lost a step, or 2 - simply was badly hyped as a skating big man without the skating.

That was not just a bad game for him, that is basically what Tryamkin is. The guy needs to take the next flight back to the KHL, and move on.

IMO Tryamkin looked much better when he joined the Nucks near the end of last season. He was
skating quite well then, and of course he was playing as a RD which was familiar to him from the KHL.
Now he looks to have bulked up--a big weight gain--and he looks much clumsier on his skates. To me it's night and day.

I see why they want him to play LD, given the size of Gudbranson and the numbers / competition at RD. But between the
side change and the apparent weight gain (or lack of off-season training?), young Trammer seems to have lost the plot.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Tryamkin looks like he had a very lazy offseason... he looks like he's gained a lot of weight too. It's a good thing Dim inked Sutter to that longterm deal. Willing to give Gudbranson the benefit of the doubt but he looks like a liability so far. Forsling looks like he'll be a future John Klingberg in Chicago. Hopefully WD is fired by the end of the month. :shakehead

oh really? I haven't seen the hawks play in the preseason, but he has 1 (secondary) assist in three games....and it was kind of a nothing play until Motte batted the puck out of the air and in the net.

It looks like a bad trade now, that could certainly get horrible with time, but Forsling is hardly setting the world ablaze so far in the preseason.

That said, he'd probably look better on the left side of the 3rd pair for us.....:(

As for Tryamkin, he has not earned a spot and IMO they should convince him to go to Utica and play a lot of minutes....despite his "out clause". he needs to learn to play on a NA rink and if he's serious about a career in the NHL, his ticket is through the Mohawk Valley. If he's unwilling to put in his time in the AHL......then he can fo back to the motherland. Gifting him a spot sends the wrong message and there could be significant blow back from the room. If he really wants an NHL career, he'll do whatever it takes.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I would expect the Canucks to try to convince him that he needs more time to develop. In his current state, he looks as though he would hinder this team's performance and hurt his own development.

If the team is confident that he can further improve in the KHL, then they should allow him to return with a verbal agreement in place for him to re-sign with the Canucks at a later point in time. This past year has given him a frame of reference for what he needs to do to improve; in order not to damage any good will between the two parties, he should be allowed to leave and then return after his next KHL contract expires. The last thing you would want to do is push him to the minors when he has an out-clause, or keep him in the NHL when he is not yet ready for it -- one would burn bridges between the two sides, and the other would damage his potential.

I'm not advocating for the Canucks to keep him or not to keep him, but if the Canucks wish to assign him to the minors the effect of the European out clause would be the Canucks loaning him back to the KHL. He'd remain under contract to the Canucks until his contract expires at the end of this coming season.

The Canucks would presumably then offer him another contract high enough to qualify him so that if he didn't accept it would leave the Canucks with his NHL rights, the same as the Canucks did previously with Rodin.

I don't see any bridges being burned in the long term assuming the management group is up front with him about their plans and reasons, though it's always possible he has a similar opinion of Canucks' management as Larsen did of the Oilers.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I think Tryamkin is significantly out of shape. He does look about 20-30 pounds heavier in training camp.

Also check out this video.

He was a very good skater coming into the league. But he seems like he lost some speed and quickness from last night's game. Maybe our boy discovered gas station hot dogs in the off-season?

Then again, I still think he looked worse last night than he was because of how woeful Gudbranson was.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
What do you guys think of splitting up Edler and Tanev and have a more balanced top 6?

Edler and Stecher seem to have some real chemistry by the looks of it. And Tanev can really stabilize a 3rd pairing.

That way we can still roll 3 pairings rather evenly.

That seems to be the way Willie is thinking, for sure. Reminds me of when Vigneault raised a lot of eyebrows by splitting up the very effective duo of Kesler and Burrows, only to finally give us two balanced scoring units as a result. It could work.

Who Tanev's partner is, though, would be the biggest question.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Granlund has made the team on merit. Outplayed Shink the other day and kept his effort level consistent throughout the preseason.

Not including Burrows, Etem is really the only pencilled in guy up front whose spot should be taken by one of Gaunce, Lebate or Ruttu.

Tryamkin ain't looking so hot.

Edler and Stecher is the best PP pairing I've seen in a long time. Both were judicious when it comes to shooting, passing, holding on for that extra second, etc. Knowing the other guy is just as competent leads to better reads and making plays. Mustn't get too carried away though, Hutton, too, had a red hot start and cooled, especially on the PP.

Real tough decision with Stecher. All agree the kid has to get his minutes somewhere. :popcorn:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
That seems to be the way Willie is thinking, for sure. Reminds me of when Vigneault raised a lot of eyebrows by splitting up the very effective duo of Kesler and Burrows, only to finally give us two balanced scoring units as a result. It could work.

Who Tanev's partner is, though, would be the biggest question.

The way I see it we have five NHL defensemen and a bunch of liabilities down there. Gudbranson clearly needs to play with Hutton. I'd say based on the pre-season it should be Larsen, but I don't know if either guy can play the LS. I could see them icing Sbisa-Tanev and branding it some sort of "shut-down" pairing.

I predict Pedan and Etem hit waivers, and none of the PTO players get contracts.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
I think Tryamkin is significantly out of shape. He does look about 20-30 pounds heavier in training camp.

Also check out this video.

He was a very good skater coming into the league. But he seems like he lost some speed and quickness from last night's game. Maybe our boy discovered gas station hot dogs in the off-season?

Then again, I still think he looked worse last night than he was because of how woeful Gudbranson was.

Speed is kind of relative......how he looked in 2014 on big ice against junior players is hardly relevant. he skates ok once he's going, but really lacks quickness. Positioning is critical, especially so for this player and IMO, he needs to play a lot of minutes on a NA rink to work on his game. if he's unwilling to go to Utica....it says a lot about his desire to be an NHLer.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014

This is BS. He skates fine and makes a very good first pass, terrific with his stick and his body defensively. Does get caught out of position occasionally and no he's not going to catch Anthony Duclair. I thought Gudbranson was worse last night, though it's one game. Tryamkin should still be on the team, just not paired with Gudbranson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad