Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Sampo Ranta

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
I wonder which gig is more lucrative, especially given the tax slant in Sweden
I think that scout salary can vary alot or is very performance based. Henrik did an interview in Swedish last year in which he got asked:

"Do you earn more than a member of parliament?" and he answered no. This would mean that he earned less than 7000 USD/month in total for both his gigs. No, since the team got promoted I don't think this is true anymore but it is still surprisingly low.

My guess is that the deal is that he scouts the areas that he still need to scout as a GM for a quite low salary. Swedish hockey organizations cannot afford big scouting organizations. He writes reports write reports in accordance to the Avs standard, and thereby also gets access to all of their reports. A bit of a win-win.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I think that scout salary can vary alot or is very performance based. Henrik did an interview in Swedish last year in which he got asked:

"Do you earn more than a member of parliament?" and he answered no. This would mean that he earned less than 7000 USD/month in total for both his gigs. No, since the team got promoted I don't think this is true anymore but it is still surprisingly low.

My guess is that the deal is that he scouts the areas that he still need to scout as a GM for a quite low salary. Swedish hockey organizations cannot afford big scouting organizations. He writes reports write reports in accordance to the Avs standard, and thereby also gets access to all of their reports. A bit of a win-win.
Interesting, thanks

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
So long...
IMG_0738.jpeg

Reactions: Pokecheque

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I'm never a huge fan of promising players spots, so I don't really consider that a mistake or failure. Not allowing him an out back to Sweden if it didn't work out... that is where I think the failure was. It would have been a 2 year ELC where there is some risk of carrying a contract that isn't utilized, but Avs never utilize the full 50 often anyway. Plus with how immediate the injuries were to start the season, he would have gotten a run immediately anyway. In other words if it could have been worked out with a pure assignment clause (and from what I've heard it could have), then yeah they made a mistake. If it was purely had to have a roster spot based, then they were in the right. That's the level of detail I don't exactly know.
Thanks for the clarification. I understand your point about not promising players a spot, but if they thought he was good enough to crack the roster, why not? Losing him is worse, imo. Of course if they were in the fence I understand, but then that is a failure to identify talent, which is the root of the problem.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for the clarification. I understand your point about not promising players a spot, but if they thought he was good enough to crack the roster, why not? Losing him is worse, imo. Of course if they were in the fence I understand, but then that is a failure to identify talent, which is the root of the problem.
But they identified him to begin with too…

I personally don’t think there is a right answer here. All shades of grey. They lost a bottom 6 guy for nothing, but promising fringe prospects spots is not something a contender should be doing… I see both sides.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Interesting conversation on promising kids a spot. Is there an understanding of how long they get to truly capture a spot or does that kind of vary too widely with multiple factors coming in to play (injuries, injuries to other players, propensity for hookers and blow, etc...) to really gage gauge.

*Almost dated myself by using the proper spelling before the Norman invaders added an unnecessary "u". As a native speaker, I still find the English language weird and arbitrary. I can't imagine the headaches an ESL person has when learning simple vocabulary with our propensity for slang.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
According to a Swedish Newspaper who interviewed the local denver hockey journalists + Eagles coach Greg Cronin the Avs are planning to send him a qualifying offer so they keep his rights.

Might be beneficial for him. Some players benefit from developing in Sweden.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Interesting conversation on promising kids a spot. Is there an understanding of how long they get to truly capture a spot or does that kind of vary too widely with multiple factors coming in to play (injuries, injuries to other players, propensity for hookers and blow, etc...) to really gage gauge.

*Almost dated myself by using the proper spelling before the Norman invaders added an unnecessary "u". As a native speaker, I still find the English language weird and arbitrary. I can't imagine the headaches an ESL person has when learning simple vocabulary with our propensity for slang.
It is all variable… a kid like Makar was guaranteed a spot and there was zero chance of the minors. A kid like Meyers was guaranteed a game to burn a year. And pretty much everything in between. Teams also all handle this differently.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I said it for years prior to Ranta even getting signed... he's a hockey dumb dumb. His physical skills were always great and I'd have to look back, but he was one of my top non-USDTP USHL players that year. The knock was always will the brain come around? It just never did. Every single physical tool you could want in a NHLer, but zero idea how to apply it. That's not on Bednar or any of the staff IMO. Hockey sense either comes or it doesn't... arguably either you have it early (mid teens) or you don't have it at all.
You been spot on with these young guys thats for sure. I still remember the Jost arguments on here and then Newhook haha fun times.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
He is MODO's leading scorer this year but the team is towards the bottom of the standings.

Any chance he is back in Colorado or is he more suited to playing in Europe?

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad