Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Sampo Ranta

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Modo fan here! What should we expect from Ranta? Will definitely be a top 6 player for us.
He can skate incredibly well for his size, plays physical, goes to the net, better than average shot, can win board battles quite often, and he can skate his way back from coverage mistakes (so he doesn't take a ton of penalties). Those are the good things.

Now the bad... his hockey IQ is less than a bag of rocks. Seriously, he is one really dumb hockey player. Skates himself into bad spots all the time. Has zero idea what to do in coverage and loses his man. Has zero idea how to play in space. With that, he's a really, really poor playmaker. He can't find anybody in the offensive zone to pass to... even if he could pass (which he really can't). When he gets pressured, he panics with the puck. Doesn't have good enough hands to capitalize on his skating (so don't think he's going to be an outside-in net driver...he'll just fumble the puck more often then not).

If he's a third wheel on a line for two more talented players and he's relied upon to just be a guy crash, bang, and recover the puck while being net front on the PP.... you probably have a 10-15g 10-15a guy for your 2nd line. I'd say it is pretty unlikely you'll get a driver of a top 6 line out of him though.

It is rather funny how Gradin will keep grabbing players with Avs or local ties. Dickenson, Ranta, Halloran, Woods, etc. :laugh:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
He can skate incredibly well for his size, plays physical, goes to the net, better than average shot, can win board battles quite often, and he can skate his way back from coverage mistakes (so he doesn't take a ton of penalties). Those are the good things.

Now the bad... his hockey IQ is less than a bag of rocks. Seriously, he is one really dumb hockey player. Skates himself into bad spots all the time. Has zero idea what to do in coverage and loses his man. Has zero idea how to play in space. With that, he's a really, really poor playmaker. He can't find anybody in the offensive zone to pass to... even if he could pass (which he really can't). When he gets pressured, he panics with the puck. Doesn't have good enough hands to capitalize on his skating (so don't think he's going to be an outside-in net driver...he'll just fumble the puck more often then not).

If he's a third wheel on a line for two more talented players and he's relied upon to just be a guy crash, bang, and recover the puck while being net front on the PP.... you probably have a 10-15g 10-15a guy for your 2nd line. I'd say it is pretty unlikely you'll get a driver of a top 6 line out of him though.

It is rather funny how Gradin will keep grabbing players with Avs or local ties. Dickenson, Ranta, Halloran, Woods, etc. :laugh:
I think a lobotomy patient like that can absolutely drive play in Europe by just skating.

Not always, but sometimes it works.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I am not conversant on how this works: Do the Avs retain his NHL rights?
I believe the answer is yes. Until he 27 years of age. At that point, he'll become an UFA. Would imagine if any team had any interest in him whatsoever a trade would've happened to allow him a chance at an NHL role, but if he didn't get called up for games last season with all the injuries we had, he's not playing for Bednar or the Avs.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I thought this whippersnapper would continue to progress… goodness was his lack of intelligence revealed at a professional level. Hindsight, you’re a fickle witch.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
As sad as it is to say, Ranta might be our best draft pick in the last decade beyond the first 2 rounds.

Since the 2010 draft, only 7 players we drafted beyond the first 2 rounds played NHL games for the Avs. The other 6 guys were a trio of Goalies, Annunen, Adam Werner, and Spencer Martin, who have combined for I believe 10 NHL games. Dmen Andrei Mironov and Anton Lindholm, and forward Jean-Luc Foudy.

Lindholm and Ranta are the only 2 picks to play more then 10 games for the Avs.

Our drafting has been truly pathetic for almost 15 years now.
There is no words.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
As sad as it is to say, Ranta might be our best draft pick in the last decade beyond the first 2 rounds.

Since the 2010 draft, only 7 players we drafted beyond the first 2 rounds played NHL games for the Avs. The other 6 guys were a trio of Goalies, Annunen, Adam Werner, and Spencer Martin, who have combined for I believe 10 NHL games. Dmen Andrei Mironov and Anton Lindholm, and forward Jean-Luc Foudy.

Lindholm and Ranta are the only 2 picks to play more then 10 games for the Avs.

Our drafting has been truly pathetic for almost 15 years now.
Nils Aman

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is super ironic that they did not manage to sign the best player they have drafted beyond round 2 in 15 years.
It is because the Avs would guarantee him a spot or decent run in the NHL with the rights to go back to Sweden if it didn't work out.... something they'll have to do for Kovalenko. Now I don't think they lost out on a gem, but he's a bottom 6 guy who might end up a decent 3rd liner. That could have been really useful with the injuries this year.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
It is because the Avs would guarantee him a spot or decent run in the NHL with the rights to go back to Sweden if it didn't work out.... something they'll have to do for Kovalenko. Now I don't think they lost out on a gem, but he's a bottom 6 guy who might end up a decent 3rd liner. That could have been really useful with the injuries this year.
Thanks for giving the details. I Remember you made that point earlier when he was picked up by the ‘Nucks. One thing I would like your opinion on is weather you would categorze it as a failure/mistake and if so why did it happen. One argument could be that it is symptom of their inability to identify talent even when they have it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for giving the details. I Remember you made that point earlier when he was picked up by the ‘Nucks. One thing I would like your opinion on is weather you would categorze it as a failure/mistake and if so why did it happen. One argument could be that it is symptom of their inability to identify talent even when they have it.

I'm never a huge fan of promising players spots, so I don't really consider that a mistake or failure. Not allowing him an out back to Sweden if it didn't work out... that is where I think the failure was. It would have been a 2 year ELC where there is some risk of carrying a contract that isn't utilized, but Avs never utilize the full 50 often anyway. Plus with how immediate the injuries were to start the season, he would have gotten a run immediately anyway. In other words if it could have been worked out with a pure assignment clause (and from what I've heard it could have), then yeah they made a mistake. If it was purely had to have a roster spot based, then they were in the right. That's the level of detail I don't exactly know.

Reactions: DanishAvsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad