Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Kovalenko to 2-year deal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow, wasn't really expecting this news.
I dont like this loan thing at all. You are dealing with Russians so Avs can’t rely getting him to Colorado after the KHL season ends. Luckily his dad is a big figure in KHL’s player association so there shouldnt another Fedotov case.
The "loan" thing isn't what you think it is. Avs aren't signing him and then loaning him back to the KHL like you see in other leagues. In this case, it is sort of the opposite, it is an intention of him playing with the Avs as he's a UFA at the end of this season. Now, the other misconception is that Avs are dealing with "Russians." The one to watch out for is the Russian Government and not Russian citizens themselves. If you didn't know, there are Russian extremist groups assassinating pro-Putin war supporters in Russia. This is the poor thinking of all the Western countries that every Russian is pro-Putin (this is far from the case). The Russian government can make stupid excuses to keep their players in the country like they did with Fedotov, but there have been Russian players who signed contracts from the KHL to NHL teams already. I think the government will hamper issues with notable players like Michkov and Ivan Demidov (2024 draft) more than the likes of Kovalenko.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The understanding is he will have the contract with the Avs, not the KHL. That gives them more rights at least. It’s better than just assuming he will be let out of a KHL contract early in the spring, which was wishful thinking.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
We should also note that since the Avs are paying Kovalenko this season it saves Torpedo some money. Since it is likely Kovalenko would have signed at some point after the KHL season, this is a gesture that secures Kovalenko to the Avs, while also giving a little something to Torpedo to smooth the whole process. Win - Win.

I wonder if Enos knows about this? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Avs_19

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Good news, I like the idea of getting a little bit more security around Kovy coming over in the spring. Sounds like a win-win-win for the KHL, the Avs, and Kovalenko.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
And his English should be perfect...

You won't score at PPG level in the KHL without skill. Mikheyev and Barabanov never were PPG players in the KHL.
Minnesota got lucky drafting Kiril the Thrill, maybe it's finally Avs turn to get some luck drafting at a later pick.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Realistically, 3rd line winger. Maybe an outside chance of middle six, but I don't have a lot of hope for that, more likely he's a hardworking 3rd/4th line energy guy with some scoring pop.
Not even Kuzmenko? Your prospect scored at an almost PPG pace at a younger age. If I were to guess I don’t think a 40-55 point player is out of question.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not even Kuzmenko? Your prospect scored at an almost PPG pace at a younger age. If I were to guess I don’t think a 40-55 point player is out of question.
Anything's possible, but I'm just not counting on it. There are worries about his skating and how it will translate to the NHL where time and space are harder to come by. But you never know until you see, some Russian players surprise when they come over, some flop.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
If he’s anything like Barabanov I’d be stoked to get him on the team this year. I was wishfully hoping to get Barabanov at last years deadline. I’d start Kovalenko on the 4th and let his play dictate where he ends up in the lineup. You’d hope Bednar gives him all the opportunity to develop his game, we need cheap players like him to contribute something in the coming years.

Reactions: Alienblood

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Anything's possible, but I'm just not counting on it. There are worries about his skating and how it will translate to the NHL where time and space are harder to come by. But you never know until you see, some Russian players surprise when they come over, some flop.
Is his skating like bad or just so so somewhere in the middle class?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I've read that he will have an AHL-out clause for 2024/25 with the condition that he is allowed to leave if he is still in the AHL by December.

Btw, one thing that benefits the Avs is that this signing slightly yet still increases his trade value, might want to try to get something like that in return:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Wow, wasn't really expecting this news.

The "loan" thing isn't what you think it is. Avs aren't signing him and then loaning him back to the KHL like you see in other leagues. In this case, it is sort of the opposite, it is an intention of him playing with the Avs as he's a UFA at the end of this season. Now, the other misconception is that Avs are dealing with "Russians." The one to watch out for is the Russian Government and not Russian citizens themselves. If you didn't know, there are Russian extremist groups assassinating pro-Putin war supporters in Russia. This is the poor thinking of all the Western countries that every Russian is pro-Putin (this is far from the case). The Russian government can make stupid excuses to keep their players in the country like they did with Fedotov, but there have been Russian players who signed contracts from the KHL to NHL teams already. I think the government will hamper issues with notable players like Michkov and Ivan Demidov (2024 draft) more than the likes of Kovalenko.

You're doing the same with "Russian Government" though.
All KHL teams are funded by, or closely connected to governmental entitites in some way or anothers; albeit federal, local, or corporate owners.
However no 2 teams have the same objectives, management style, etc. ......except for perhaps SKA and Sochi.

To say the Fedotov situation was some all-encompassing "Russian Government" ploy is false. I mean look at the disagreement between Russian Hockey Federation, KHL, CSKA, (and almost certainly SKA) regarding Fedotov currently signing with CSKA despite *maybe* a valid NHL contract.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Is this a move that allows him to play for us in playoffs (if is he’s good enough to stick on the team), since he’ll have signed before the deadline or because we owned his rights already or doesn’t matter when he signs..?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
We should also note that since the Avs are paying Kovalenko this season it saves Torpedo some money. Since it is likely Kovalenko would have signed at some point after the KHL season, this is a gesture that secures Kovalenko to the Avs, while also giving a little something to Torpedo to smooth the whole process. Win - Win.

I wonder if Enos knows about this? :sarcasm:

No, he'll be receiving a salary from Torpedo even though he's on loan. The only thing that changes is he will not be required to wait until the end of April to go to the NHL.
He can go to Colorado immediately after Torpedo plays their last game.

Reactions: Goulet17

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Is this a move that allows him to play for us in playoffs (if is he’s good enough to stick on the team), since he’ll have signed before the deadline or because we owned his rights already or doesn’t matter when he signs..?
He’s a draft pick so he’s already on the reserve list. Signing now also solves the deadline problem.

Reactions: Perratrooper

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Yeah but when has that ever worked out for us. :sarcasm:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Cool. Haven’t watched him at all but I’m excited to see what he’s got. Kinda sounds like a Lehkonen type and I’m all for that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've read that he will have an AHL-out clause for 2024/25 with the condition that he is allowed to leave if he is still in the AHL by December.

Btw, one thing that benefits the Avs is that this signing slightly yet still increases his trade value, might want to try to get something like that in return:

I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t have an out clause for 24-25.

I don’t think this is too shocking. He was coming over after the season (given the connections he would have played at the end of the KHL season) and the Avs just ensured a way to have it happen so they can plan on it. This will probably cause the deadline to be one acquisition less than normal as he’ll get a spot penciled in.

The best part of this news is it’ll give a 2 year ELC and 24-25 will be under an ELC instead of burned and having to resign in the summer. Gives time for both parties to get settled.

Reactions: Murzu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad