Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Screenshot_20230722_104026_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Questions @The Mars Volchenkov, does this mean he's in training camp? Probably not, since I think the schedules are so different right?

Why do this at all though? I don't really get the point tbh.
Helps the Avs plan their season. If they know Kovalenko will be in NA after the KHL season ends, it changes their plan on going after another player I'd assume.

Drouin - MacKinnon - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - RyJo - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - Kovalenko
Cogliano - Pius Suter* - LOC

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Malinski/Johnson

Has great potential actually. That's a really physical third line.

Last edited:

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Questions @The Mars Volchenkov, does this mean he's in training camp? Probably not, since I think the schedules are so different right?

Why do this at all though? I don't really get the point tbh.

Basically solidifies that he can join the Avs for the stretch run/playoffs.

No reason not to do it now. It gives them a free trade deadline pickup and helps guard against injuries.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Basically solidifies that he can join the Avs for the stretch run/playoffs.

No reason not to do it now. It gives them a free trade deadline pickup and helps guard against injuries.

As far as I know he doesn't need to be signed to be placed on the reserve list though?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He has to be signed to play though, no?

Yeah, but like anyone they draft, it doesn't need to happen until they're available because they're already on the reserve list. They can be signed after the TDL and play if drafted I think.

Another question, have the Avs done anything like this before? I've suggested they do it with Russians and SEL guys, so they can maybe spend a bit on their development and do so in their native country, but can't really remember them doing it.

If they sign him now, usually there would be some level of signing bonus on most ELCs if I'm not mistaken.

Will he have to fit in with a full year's worth of cap hit since we don't accrue ?

Interesting question, but I think it would be just like stuffing a college player you sign in the AHL.

Reactions: thedoctor

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IMO the advantage of signing him now instead of after his KHL season is it gives the Avs a lot more certainty on their options at the TDL. Obviously they still won't know if he will be good enough to take a roster spot but at least now it is a confirmed option. If they wait until the end of KHL Kovy might decide to not sign at all.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Yeah, but like anyone they draft, it doesn't need to happen until they're available because they're already on the reserve list. They can be signed after the TDL and play if drafted I think.

Another question, have the Avs done anything like this before? I've suggested they do it with Russians and SEL guys, so they can maybe spend a bit on their development and do so in their native country, but can't really remember them doing it.

If they sign him now, usually there would be some level of signing bonus on most ELCs if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting question, but I think it would be just like stuffing a college player you sign in the AHL.

My guess is they’ve been trying to do this for a while now. If they could’ve had him for last years playoff, I’m sure they would’ve done it.

I just don’t see any reason to delay. Get it done now and it gives Kovalenko his plan for the year and let’s the Avs know he’s in the fold.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My guess is they’ve been trying to do this for a while now. If they could’ve had him for last years playoff, I’m sure they would’ve done it.

I just don’t see any reason to delay. Get it done now and it gives Kovalenko his plan for the year and let’s the Avs know he’s in the fold.

I'm not disagreeing with it, personally I'd do it more. Development coaches are not free, neither are nutritionists and trainers.

If you want the most ready player possible invest in it..

It's just out of character for them IRRC.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
I'm overjoyed at this news! Kovalenko always flashed for me at the camps I watched him. Something clever like this so he can join us for a look or even the playoffs is smart as hell.

Obviously he may not translate well, but a PPG in the KHL isn't nothing either.

Question: do we have to do anything about the 50 contract limit? I recall we have been bumping against it lately...

Reactions: willy702

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm overjoyed at this news! Kovalenko always flashed for me at the camps I watched him. Something clever like this so he can join us for a look or even the playoffs is smart as hell.

Obviously he may not translate well, but a PPG in the KHL isn't nothing either.

Question: do we have to do anything about the 50 contract limit? I recall we have been bumping against it lately...

Not lately, IRRC the last thing I seen was that we had one of the fewest numbers in the NHL.

That goes back to my other question, do they bring him to training camp despite it inconveniencing the KHL team. You'd get a sense of where he's at vs his peers, and more data on his conditioning in order to make a plan.

Reactions: thedoctor

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The earlier their season ends the better. Allows them to really take their time with inserting him into the lineup and learning the NA game. I really haven’t watched him so I’m trying to temper my expectations but I’m excited. I think he can become anywhere in the range of a Sobotka level player to a Lehky. Would love to have him start a few games on the fourth line and watch him earn more ice time with each passing game. If he can work his way into being an effective, pesty 3rd liner by the time the playoffs come around that would be enormous.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The earlier their season ends the better. Allows them to really take their time with inserting him into the lineup and learning the NA game. I really haven’t watched him so I’m trying to temper my expectations but I’m excited. I think he can become anywhere in the range of a Sobotka level player to a Lehky. Would love to have him start a few games on the fourth line and watch him earn more ice time with each passing game. If he can work his way into being an effective, pesty 3rd liner by the time the playoffs come around that would be enormous.

The problem I see right now, as the roster is constructed they're banking on that. I mean that 3RW slot is perfect for him, but only in theory.

I don't personally think that's a good idea. We're thin right now as it is, obviously for good reasons, but the depth is a razors edge with LOC actually penciled into the 3rd line.

Not that it can't be fixed after camps though, or through a successful PTO.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The problem I see right now, as the roster in constructed they're banking on that. I mean that 3RW slot is perfect for him, but only in theory.

I don't personally think that's a good idea. We're thin right now as it is, obviously for good reasons, but the depth is a razors edge with LOC actually penciled into the 3rd line.

Yeah I’m a little frustrated with the lack of depth options. Especially seeing some of the other cheap contracts being handed out around the league. Even if you are counting on a guy like Kovalenko to make an impact wouldn’t you still want some cheap NHL depth?

Our centre depth right now behind Mackinnon is an old Ryan Johansen coming off a horrible season and a real bad injury he still hasn’t recovered from, a guy in Ross Colton who hasn’t played centre full time since his rookie season, and whoever in the hell wins the battle out of Meyers/Pavel.

Perhaps they aren’t done with this offseason yet but I’m beyond disappointed with the lack of depth still. As of right now I’m not convinced this team is any better or deeper than the team that lost to Seattle last year.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
The problem I see right now, as the roster in constructed they're banking on that. I mean that 3RW slot is perfect for him, but only in theory.

Let’s be honest, it’s the Avs. Somebody is getting injured. He’ll probably slide into an open spot when he comes over.

Btw… I don’t think this changes anything in terms of them signing another player. They’re still going to add one more. I’m not sure why people think they’re just going to leave the cap space on the table.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah I’m a little frustrated with the lack of depth options. Especially seeing some of the other cheap contracts being handed out around the league. Even if you are counting on a guy like Kovalenko to make an impact wouldn’t you still want some cheap NHL depth?

Our centre depth right now behind Mackinnon is an old Ryan Johansen coming off a horrible season and a real bad injury he still hasn’t recovered from, a guy in Ross Colton who hasn’t played centre full time since his rookie season, and whoever in the hell wins the battle out of Meyers/Pavel.

Perhaps they aren’t done with this offseason yet but I’m beyond disappointed with the lack of depth still. As of right now I’m not convinced this team is any better or deeper than the team that lost to Seattle last year.

I know I'll get laughed at for this, but both Drouin and Mikko are options for that if Murphy f***s us.

But yeah, another C/W and a lock solid 4C would be nice. Just not sure locking up the remaining salary before we at least see what we have is the smart choice either.

I mean if it's a couple guys on contracts that can be buried sure, run a 23 man roster. We can't bank cap anyway, but they can clear almost 2M quickly by running with the minimum.

Although the damn injured AHLer stuck getting an NHL salary can complicate shit too. I guess that's why we have a capologist as our GM though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad