Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Kovalenko to 2-year deal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Let’s be honest, it’s the Avs. Somebody is getting injured. He’ll probably slide into an open spot when he comes over.

Btw… I don’t think this changes anything in terms of them signing another player. They’re still going to add one more. I’m not sure why people think they’re just going to leave the cap space on the table.

Also a fair point, I guess they're going to run at maximum flexibility until they have a better idea of what we have in this team. At least it isn't missing big minute players, but Cogs and LOC are waaaaaaay better when their minutes are kept down too.

If we want that 4th line back, you can't run them into the ground either.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The KHL’s July 1 is on May 1st, meaning their contracts don’t expire until that date. I’ve been cautioning against be belief that Kovy would come over this spring because of that reason. It’s not the NCAA, KHL players don’t just show up when their seasons are over. I know in the past there’s been some early terminations in the spring but not since the war. This is the perfect solution to get around that and eliminates any red tape as far as him signing and getting over here quickly in the spring. It also gives him a 2 year ELC and not a 1 year had he signed in the spring by virtue of his October birthdate.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Dangerous going to the trade deadline with out a 4C on the roster. We know what a sellers market it is for 4Cs in March! They are worth their weight in electroplate!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know I'll get laughed at for this, but both Drouin and Mikko are options for that if Murphy f***s us.

But yeah, another C/W and a lock solid 4C would be nice. Just not sure locking up the remaining salary before we at least see what we have is the smart choice either.

I mean if it's a couple guys on contracts that can be buried sure, run a 23 man roster. We can't bank cap anyway, but they can clear almost 2M quickly by running with the minimum.

Although the damn injured AHLer stuck getting an NHL salary can complicate shit too. I guess that's why we have a capologist as our GM though.
Any significant injury (aren’t they all) will be going on LTIR this year. There’s no way they should be done adding to this team, bury anyone on a two way or under the limit (Olofsson, Meyers).

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
Doesn't mean shit if the Avs don't want it to and he's on loan.
I would expect that as a part of this scenario it has been agreed that he will not join the training camp. That's what I would require if I was Torpedo.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The KHL’s July 1 is on May 1st, meaning their contracts don’t expire until that date. I’ve been cautioning against be belief that Kovy would come over this spring because of that reason. It’s not the NCAA, KHL players don’t just show up when their seasons are over. I know in the past there’s been some early terminations in the spring but not since the war. This is the perfect solution to get around that and eliminates any red tape as far as him signing and getting over here quickly in the spring. It also gives him a 2 year ELC and not a 1 year had he signed in the spring by virtue of his October birthdate.
So how will Chet bitch about this?

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
Dangerous going to the trade deadline with out a 4C on the roster. We know what a sellers market it is for 4Cs in March! They are worth their weight in electroplate!
Exactly, now they have to hit the 4C market hard and heavy. Need someones with PK bonafides. Is Nosek the best option?

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I know I'll get laughed at for this, but both Drouin and Mikko are options for that if Murphy f***s us.

But yeah, another C/W and a lock solid 4C would be nice. Just not sure locking up the remaining salary before we at least see what we have is the smart choice either.

I mean if it's a couple guys on contracts that can be buried sure, run a 23 man roster. We can't bank cap anyway, but they can clear almost 2M quickly by running with the minimum.

Although the damn injured AHLer stuck getting an NHL salary can complicate shit too. I guess that's why we have a capologist as our GM though.
Drouin at C? Oh boy.

The Avs would lose their first round matchup in 2 games.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014

This is an important detail.

Do we know it’s 2 years? Big for the Avs if true. It would give them flexibility to bring him during the regular season and keep the dirt cheap ELC for next season too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This is an important detail.

Do we know it’s 2 years? Big for the Avs if true. It would give them flexibility to bring him during the regular season and keep the dirt cheap ELC for next season too.
By the CBA it has to be as he’s 23 years of age

From PuckPedia
The length of the Entry Level contract is outlined in the CBA Section 9.1b:

Signing Age* Years of ELC

18-21 3 Years

22-23 2 Years

24 1 Year

25+ No Limit & Not-Entry Level if drafted from North America

25-27** 1 Year if drafted from Europe

*Signing Age is age on September 15 of calendar year in which first contract is signed, regardless of actual age when contract signed.

**Players who played in Europe at the time they were drafted and sign their first NHL contract at ages 25-27 sign a 1 year Entry Level Deal. If the European Player has not signed a contract by age 28, he is not subject to an Entry Level Contract

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wonder where he would fit in on the roster. He’s smaller size RW. For anyone that has watched him, does he play with any grit or is he all skill? If Drouin struggles, maybe you put him on 2nd line wing, or if Drouin produces on top 6, you put Kovalenko on 3rd line wing with Colton and Wood?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I wonder where he would fit in on the roster. He’s smaller size RW. For anyone that has watched him, does he play with any grit or is he all skill? If Drouin struggles, maybe you put him on 2nd line wing, or if Drouin produces on top 6, you put Kovalenko on 3rd line wing with Colton and Wood?

Both. Kinda like Barabanov. But if he keeps scoring at PPG level in the KHL it'll be better than Barabanov ever did there. And with 5'10, 192 he isn't actually that small.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I've only seen highlights and read reports, but he's definitely gritty. Seems like a prototypical 3rd liner with a bit of skill and a bit of jam.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I've only seen highlights and read reports, but he's definitely gritty. Seems like a prototypical 3rd liner with a bit of skill and a bit of jam.
Both. Kinda like Barabanov. But if he keeps scoring at PPG level in the KHL it'll be better than Barabanov ever did there. And with 5'10, 192 he isn't actually that small.
I just watched some YouTube highlights, looks like he can pass. Was making some nice set ups

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wonder if this is also sort of the Avs way of trying to improve relationships with KHL teams as well, by "loaning" him to Torpedo for this season(Even though they don't really have a choice, the optics looks a little better I guess).

Considering they just drafted two more Russian player this year, probably won't hurt for future negotiations.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
If him and Foudy can become impact 3rd liners for us in the next year or 2 years that would be huge for this team and keeping the cap hit down with cheap good quality depth.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I wonder if this is also sort of the Avs way of trying to improve relationships with KHL teams as well, by "loaning" him to Torpedo for this season(Even though they don't really have a choice, the optics looks a little better I guess).

Considering they just drafted two more Russian player this year, probably won't hurt for future negotiations.
There is no such entity as "KHL teams" though, so that doesn't make too much sense. However getting that type of loans as an instrument into the management's arsenal could be a valuable thing, I mean it was really strange to see them letting Zhuravlyov go instead of just loaning him back home.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
I dont like this loan thing at all. You are dealing with Russians so Avs can’t rely getting him to Colorado after the KHL season ends. Luckily his dad is a big figure in KHL’s player association so there shouldnt another Fedotov case.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
Yeah I’m a little frustrated with the lack of depth options. Especially seeing some of the other cheap contracts being handed out around the league. Even if you are counting on a guy like Kovalenko to make an impact wouldn’t you still want some cheap NHL depth?

Our centre depth right now behind Mackinnon is an old Ryan Johansen coming off a horrible season and a real bad injury he still hasn’t recovered from, a guy in Ross Colton who hasn’t played centre full time since his rookie season, and whoever in the hell wins the battle out of Meyers/Pavel.

Perhaps they aren’t done with this offseason yet but I’m beyond disappointed with the lack of depth still. As of right now I’m not convinced this team is any better or deeper than the team that lost to Seattle last year.
Be disappointed all you want but RyJo is 30, that's a slight exaggeration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad