Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-Sign Byram to 2-year × $3.85M Deal

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Bo Byram bump, because my fangirl-ing knows no bounds.

1692655405663.png

1692655422327.png

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t understand how their criteria can allow a guy who’s already on his second NHL contract to be included in the pipeline rankings, but oh well.
It is simply a u23 ranking instead of a pure prospect. IMO it actually makes more sense than random prospect definitions. A 20 year old who has a season or two in the league and might actually be a legit good NHLer means more to an org that a 3rd round pick still in college at 21-22.

Were they not dead last, last year? Or was that another ranking?
Different ranking. That one excluded young NHLers.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Everyone should just use the same prospect definitions.

IMO the cut off should be 23 at the start of the season, or more than 25 games in a single season (like the Calder). Bo has two seasons with 25+ games.

Second contract shouldn't be a factor, because theoretically you could have a somewhat promising prospect that's never played an NHL game on his second contract.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021

I’d bet the whole teams passing is below replacement level so far this year.:laugh:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don’t understand how their criteria can allow a guy whose already on his second NHL contract to be included in the pipeline rankings, but oh well.
Jack Hughes is probably still a prospect to this writer. Maybe one day Jack will be an NHL regular?

Below KA Miller level. Even further below Brewer level.
K'Andre Miller is having a rather mediocre season so far. Of Byram, Miller and Bouchard (3 guys on the same contract), Miller is the one with the worst analytics behind his so-so play.

Unfortunately for the Avs, after a promising start, Girard's play has fallen off a cliff.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Byram is having a rough go this last month for sure, he'll need to pull himself out of this. I have no doubt that he will.

I still think trading Toews was the smarter decision. But I'll save that rant for June when the Avs get bounced in round 1 or 2 because they still don't have a second line center and Toews starts planning his 30th birthday party.

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Byram is having a rough go this last month for sure, he'll need to pull himself out of this. I have no doubt that he will.

I still think trading Toews was the smarter decision. But I'll save that rant for June when the Avs get bounced in round 1 or 2 because they still don't have a second line center.
If that’s the case, it’s because the Avs didn’t move Bo for a quality 2C.

We all know that Bo is much more likely to pull in a quality 2C, than a pending UFA looking for a big extension.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If that’s the case, it’s because the Avs didn’t move Bo for a quality 2C.

We all know that Bo is much more likely to pull in a quality 2C, than a pending UFA looking for a big extension.

I've been very clear for a long while now that I don't believe either of Byram [injury concerns] or Girard [not good enough] would return the 2C the Avs need. Only Toews was going to do that.

But shoulda, woulda, coulda at this point. The Avs made their bed and if you're aware of history in the slightest you can see where this ship is going.

Can you imagine for just a minute that Sakic pulled a top pair defenseman for two 2nds, won a cup with him, then flipped him right before he turned 30 when his value is sky high for a longer term 2C while letting the kid you drafted 4th OA take his spot next to the best defenseman in the NHL? 4D chess move of the century and extends their contention window and balances their cap allotment even if the first year or two becomes more difficult. Instead we'll get to watch Toews age off into the sunset with the Avs cup contention window for the sake of getting one more shot this year.

The made the wrong decision IMO. Time will tell if I was right.

Last edited:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I've been very clear for a long while now that I don't believe either of Byram [injury concerns] or Girard [not good enough] would return the 2C the Avs need. Only Toews was going to do that.

But shoulda, woulda, coulda at this point. The Avs made their bed and if you're aware of history in the slightest you can see where this ship is going.

Can you imagine for just a minute that Sakic pulled a top pair defenseman for two 2nds, won a cup with him, them flipped him right before he turned 30 for a longer term 2C while letting the kid you drafted 4th OA take his spot next to the best defenseman in the NHL? 4D chess move of the century. Instead we'll get to watch Toews age off into the sunset with the Avs cup contention window.
It’s an interesting perspective.

I believe that Bo has significantly more value in acquiring a 2C than Toews did. Or at least, the type of 2C we could get.

Toews was a 30 year old, pending UFA about to sign a big extension.

Bo is still young, has draft pedigree, has cost control.

There’s a far better chance Bo is able to bring in a younger, higher potential 2C than Toews, imo of course

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It’s an interesting perspective.

I believe that Bo has significantly more value in acquiring a 2C than Toews did. Or at least, the type of 2C we could get.

Toews was a 30 year old, pending UFA about to sign a big extension.

Bo is still young, has draft pedigree, has cost control.

There’s a far better chance Bo is able to bring in a younger, higher potential 2C than Toews, imo of course

I respect your opinion, I just disagree with it. Toews is a top pair defenseman right now, probably a #1 on many teams, and still has a few good years left in him. I believe a good handful of teams would have ponied up big time for him to try to win now. Meanwhile, Byram, with his many uncertainties, is probably more valuable to the Avs than he is around the league.

Then consider the Avs needs and cap space issues. They're not going to win without a real 2C, history has proven that over and over again. You simply cannot afford an extended Toews AND a real 2C with 29/96/8 making as much as they do. Sacrifices have to made somewhere. cMac decided to sacrifice at the 2C position for some reason.

Let me put it this way. I believe the Avs are better now and especially long term with Byram next to Makar and a real 2C behind MacKinnon, than they are with Toews next to Makar and no 2C behind MacKinnon because RyJo and Colton are both 3Cs.

They're basically pulling a redo of last year hoping for different results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad